Jim Caldwell rumors as Bears HC gaining steam...

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This would be a terrible hire....look no further than the fact that all of the coaches left in the playoffs, aside from Andy Reid, are 47 years or younger. If Caldwell was a good coach he would have been one already for a long period of time.
yep, this bout wraps it up guys, next!

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim is an incredible human being, a man of faith and a great football coach,

what the hell does faith has to do with FOOTBALL!??

JC may had a positive records with lions and colts, but if i remember correctly lions had a damn good defense and an iffy ass offense them years and NOTHING was scary about his teams. and he had Luck in Indy i believe.
I think the point of that is Men of faith are usually good people -

I don't think JC is here as a HC prospect - I think he is here because they are checking him out as a member of someones staff that they had mentioned he would be a member of -

My guess is through Polian and a member of Flores - Frazier or Eberflus staff-

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
A step up from Leslie Frazier, but this would feel so much like John Fox 2.0, except this time we don't get Vic Fangio, and they'll be right back in the HC search 2-3 years later when he retires or resigns because of health complications again. Fields will then be on his 3rd HC in 3-4 years. Sounds like a great plan.
I'd rather have Fangio. Fangio took a s****ty situation in Denver and made them competitive in the best division in the league. I trust Fangio to have an elite defense, he has proven to do it before here, and I'd rather team him back up than hire an outsider

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This is a short term hire with no eye towards the future. He's not going to be around long at 67.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
More reasons:

He hasn't coached since 2017 save for 6 months in the off-season in 2019.

The Ravens offense regressed in year two of his tenure and improved dramatically after he left.

He's never developed a quarterback, he's always come into places with established qbs.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
But all my personal opinions aside...shouldn't the Bears be looking for a coach who, ideally, will be here for 8-10 years? Does anyone think Caldwell will be coaching at 77? Hiring Caldwell guarantees you're looking for a new coach in a few years. Yes, there are older coaches but they are all at the tail end of their careers. It seems so short sighted.
That is a fair point. I would say that my reaction to this would be tempered to whom he brings in as a coordinator that might be an heir apparent.

I stopped believing I have a clue about what it takes to make it in pro sports, and I don't think rumors mean anything in this league. I just hope they dont screw the pooch... but it is George. He pretty much screws pooches for a living

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
That is a fair point. I would say that my reaction to this would be tempered to whom he brings in as a coordinator that might be an heir apparent.

I stopped believing I have a clue about what it takes to make it in pro sports, and I don't think rumors mean anything in this league. I just hope they dont screw the pooch... but it is George. He pretty much screws pooches for a living

Don't forget the incomparable Ted Phillips! Apparently he's very involved in the hiring process. Because, of course he is. I'm hoping for the best but if they hire Caldwell I will have a hard time convincing myself they're going in the right direction.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the point of that is Men of faith are usually good people -

I don't think JC is here as a HC prospect - I think he is here because they are checking him out as a member of someones staff that they had mentioned he would be a member of -

My guess is through Polian and a member of Flores - Frazier or Eberflus staff-
So the Bears are circling in on their OC and then HC before GM you think? I would say no freaking way but then again Bears

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Hire someone under 60. I want a coach with a shot at being here for a decade. Bears luck is that finally hire a coach that is all that only to watch him fall over or retire. This comin from someone the same age as Caldwell.

Aren't u in shape?

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hire someone under 60. I want a coach with a shot at being here for a decade. Bears luck is that finally hire a coach that is all that only to watch him fall over or retire. This comin from someone the same age as Caldwell.
Oh I didn't know you were that old. I thought you were in your 30s or younger like the rest of us. You are a wise one tho

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Not a bad choice. For where the Bears are it makes sense. They want a leader as the HC and someone that will bring in an experienced staff. Essentially the opposite of Nagy who was a failed offensive experiment that couldn’t lead on top of it. It also signals a commitment to rebuilding since Caldwell won’t be a long-term hire.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Not a bad choice. For where the Bears are it makes sense. They want a leader as the HC and someone that will bring in an experienced staff. Essentially the opposite of Nagy who was a failed offensive experiment that couldn’t lead on top of it. It also signals a commitment to rebuilding since Caldwell won’t be a long-term hire.

Nagy had a very experienced staff. Hiring Caldwell doesn't signal a commitment to rebuilding, it signals a commitment to mediocrity.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy had a very experienced staff. Hiring Caldwell doesn't signal a commitment to rebuilding, it signals a commitment to mediocrity.
Actually, he hit the nail on the head, it is exactly what it signals.

Lovie>Trestman(failed experiment)>Fox(right the ship)>Nagy(failed experiment)>Caldwell(right the ship)>?

Seems to be a pattern here. Caldwell is one of the few that could also offer input into a GM. Young guns going to want to select "their guy" for a QB and re-invent the wheel.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I thought Cooter was a good OC, but that may very well just be me.
I would be fine with that so long as he came to work like this
OIP.RGDOQHecIW4O4nMLQOKgmQHaIG

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
What a lame candidate. He had success with Peyton Manning and nothing afterwards.

The Bears are betting his 3rd stint as HC is the charm? Jesus help us all.
You are wrong.

He was a winning coach with the Lions, THE LIONS!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Jim is an incredible human being, a man of faith and a great football coach,

what the hell does faith has to do with FOOTBALL!??

JC may had a positive records with lions and colts, but if i remember correctly lions had a damn good defense and an iffy ass offense them years and NOTHING was scary about his teams. and he had Luck in Indy i believe.
Making the Lions a winner took a miracle.

Caldwell did it 3 out of 4 years. Caldwell must have something similar to the bat phone but connected to God.

R.d64bd6f61912396c9a725c4ccd8f4a04