Jim McMahon drop kicks the Pack

mecha

Liked Posts:
My latest memory of him is him playing well for another team. Very shocking that the great Ryan Pace couldnt identity that coaching was an issue so he let an iron man LT walk so he could sign a 40 year old and draft a rookie with a broken back.

George blocked my number after i kept texting him "told you" when he fired Pace.
this is just pathetic. really.

I choose to remember the likes of Urlacher, Briggs, Alex Brown, Tillman, etc. I was at least old enough to experience that whole thing in real time. the Bears of the early-mid 80s were every bit a flash in the pan as Lovie Smith's 2005-2006 teams. they could've done more but I think their strong personalities let large egos build and they lost sight of shit. either that or I don't care if the stats were supposedly better in 1986, losing Buddy Ryan was bad.

in like 38 years time only about 6-7 of those years were actually noteworthy for the Bears. that's the real problem.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I choose to remember the likes of Urlacher, Briggs, Alex Brown, Tillman, etc. I was at least old enough to experience that whole thing in real time. the Bears of the early-mid 80s were every bit a flash in the pan as Lovie Smith's 2005-2006 teams. they could've done more but I think their strong personalities let large egos build and they lost sight of shit. either that or I don't care if the stats were supposedly better in 1986, losing Buddy Ryan was bad.

in like 38 years time only about 6-7 of those years were actually noteworthy for the Bears. that's the real problem.
Correct

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Why not talk about the best the Bears have ever put out on the field?

Is Urlacher somehow now taboo to talk about too? Tillman?

Some fans some of you have become if you want to throw out the history of the Bears!

Here's the sad thing. A lotta ppl don't whats it's like to have seen the Bears win a SB. Or the Bears being feared.
They have no concept of Bear excellence.

It's like somebody who's always lived in a studio and driving a used 2 seater smart car. Thats all they know vs someone forced to downsize from a mansion and a Bentley to a studio and driving a used 2 seater smart car.
I hope we can all see the Bears win another SB :) ?

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see what's wrong with discussing or even promoting past teams or players of the Bears, especially if they were as great as that 85 team. I wish we could field a team that could surpass their accomplishments in todays game, but appreciating what past Bear teams have accomplished is what being a fan is all about..That's my opinion though, and others are welcome to theirs.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bronko Nagurski?
If you ever get the chance, watch the movie "Hearts in Atlantis"
There are 2 scenes referencing Nagurskis greatness and how he carried the Bears to victory in a championship game. Anthony Hopkins starts the story telling.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yes because being tired of hearing about a team and players from almost 40 years ago = throwing out history.

I’d like the bears to be relevant presently. I’d like to think the Bears aren’t hiring Leslie Frazier because this ownership group cannot help but pander to older Bears fans and their obsession with the past.

Let’s talk about Charles Leno Jr

Do you remember how the Bears and Sid Luckman dominated the 40s? What a great time for Bears fans.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Here's the sad thing. A lotta ppl don't whats it's like to have seen the Bears win a SB. Or the Bears being feared.
They have no concept of Bear excellence.

It's like somebody who's always lived in a studio and driving a used 2 seater smart car. Thats all they know vs someone forced to downsize from a mansion and a Bentley to a studio and driving a used 2 seater smart car.
I hope we can all see the Bears win another SB :) ?
To not know is one thing, and it could be excused because it is foreign to them.

But to go out of their way to bad-mouth the history of the team they are a fan of is ridiculous.

They should bad mouth the history of their rivals instead.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
My latest memory of him is him playing well for another team. Very shocking that the great Ryan Pace couldnt identity that coaching was an issue so he let an iron man LT walk so he could sign a 40 year old and draft a rookie with a broken back.

George blocked my number after i kept texting him "told you" when he fired Pace.
Leno was an iron man (he never seemed to get hurt), but he was not very good his last year or so.

Was that coaching or was that poor effort?

You need to remember that Leno was no longer some bright eyed rookie. He was a vet and, because of that, he should not need coaching at that point in his career. I believe that Leno had just checked out at the end of his Bears stay. That happens.

As an example, that 40 year old vet did not need any coaching to do a pretty good job, especially for a 40 year old LT.

Yes, Pace was not a good GM and so some of the decisions he made were because of the problems with the cap that he himself created. Not going to defend Pace.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
To not know is one thing, and it could be excused because it is foreign to them.

But to go out of their way to bad-mouth the history of the team they are a fan of is ridiculous.

They should bad mouth the history of their rivals instead.
How many times can we rehash the same stories? It only gets annoying because it is literally all we have as fans to talk about in terms of modern success of this shit franchise.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Seeing that you were old enough to experience the 2005-2006 teams in real life, why don't you want us, who experienced the Bears of the 80s in real time, to be able to enjoy our own experiences?

Sounds like a double standard to me.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
How many times can we rehash the same stories? It only gets annoying because it is literally all we have as fans to talk about in terms of modern success of this shit franchise.
There is a lot of Bears history BEFORE the '85 Bears. Maybe you can get to know some of it.

Even the prisoners of Shawshank talked about all of the Andy Dufrain stories over and over again BECAUSE they were in a way shittier situation than you or I.

If you are so upset about this shit franchise, wait until the Super Bowl opponents are set and then jump on the bandwagon of one of those teams. At worst, you will be a fan of the team who came in second with a chance of being part of a Super Bowl champion.

You just rinse and repeat this every year.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
There is a lot of Bears history BEFORE the '85 Bears. Maybe you can get to know some of it.

Even the prisoners of Shawshank talked about all of the Andy Dufrain stories over and over again BECAUSE they were in a way shittier situation than you or I.

If you are so upset about this shit franchise, wait until the Super Bowl opponents are set and then jump on the bandwagon of one of those teams. At worst, you will be a fan of the team who came in second with a chance of being part of a Super Bowl champion.

You just rinse and repeat this every year.

LMAO, I know more Bears history than most on here. I don't need to rehash the same shit over and over to the point of nauseam. The 85 Bears have reached that point. I can't wait to hear about McMichael impaling the chalkboard before the SB again.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Seeing that you were old enough to experience the 2005-2006 teams in real life, why don't you want us, who experienced the Bears of the 80s in real time, to be able to enjoy our own experiences?

Sounds like a double standard to me.
I'm not @Anytime23 ... don't get confused. I was literally watching '85 games last month. I can't say the same about shit from say, 1997, because I witnessed that too and it's still traumatizing. like I said, there's only 7 notable years in the modern timeline. lol

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm not @Anytime23 ... don't get confused. I was literally watching '85 games last month. I can't say the same about shit from say, 1997, because I witnessed that too and it's still traumatizing. like I said, there's only 7 notable years in the modern timeline. lol
I must have missed the name when responding, sorry.

If there were only 7 notable years in the modern lifetime, why would some fans want to remove even one of them?

If someone comes into a conversation of the Bears that they have heard 100, 1000 or 10,000 times and are sick and tired of it to listen to it one more time, why don't they walk away from the conversation?

Hell, they don't even talk about some of the Mike Brown, Tommie Harris, Urlacher and Peanut Tillman years. All that is left is the current shitty years.

"Remember when we had a shitty GM and a shitty HC and had to fire them?"

"Do you mean this one or the other one? Or did you just come from the future and are talking about the four that follow in the next 8 years?"

Wow! One hell of a conversation.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I must have missed the name when responding, sorry.

If there were only 7 notable years in the modern lifetime, why would some fans want to remove even one of them?

If someone comes into a conversation of the Bears that they have heard 100, 1000 or 10,000 times and are sick and tired of it to listen to it one more time, why don't they walk away from the conversation?

Hell, they don't even talk about some of the Mike Brown, Tommie Harris, Urlacher and Peanut Tillman years. All that is left is the current shitty years.

"Remember when we had a shitty GM and a shitty HC and had to fire them?"

"Do you mean this one or the other one? Or did you just come from the future and are talking about the four that follow in the next 8 years?"

Wow! One hell of a conversation.
it's just some snark shit where they're like "DERP YOU'RE A MEATBALL FOR LIKING THE '85 BEARS" like they were some overrated and irrelevant team. because Ditka was the coach, and Grimson keeps going on with Payton and the broom closet like it's still funny (one love Grimson). I would argue Ditka was part of the problem and I believe he's so much as admitted it, like I said, the egos were probably what derailed them. the thing that made that unit so fascinating was also their undoing. Ditka was what got that team in line to even get to the Super Bowl. they were just lucky the Patriots outplayed the Dolphins to get there instead, or else history would be very different today.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
FWIW, a google search revealed this about McMahon's jersey on that day:

According to a tweet in the story:

I love that his Packers teammates were on board. Class acts all the way around

And from McMahon himself:

From every 1 else I got some heat especially cuz
@packers
and
@ChicagoBears
are biggest rivals. But my teammates understood y I was doing it

So, there's that.

RumourBoy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
What a legendary team. I heard one of those guys is a front-runner for the Chicago Bears HC job, how cool would that be?
Everyone talks about the defense, and why wouldn't they, but the creativity and play-calling on offense were top-notch that year as well.