Jimmy Butler

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So rondo was the most important guy of the 3 to the teams success is your point?
That's your presumption of what I meant. I knew the Bulls wouldn't win another game in that series even when they were up 2-0 with the next 2 games in Chicago. Sometimes all it takes is one key piece being gone and the whole thing falls apart

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
All I recall was being against the hire and being about the only one
If I recall, I felt like Hoiberg was just a repeat of Tim Floyd. Oddly they were even from the same colleges. Krause had a love affair with Floyd, and Gar seemed to have one with Hoiberg.

Hoiberg had a better team than Floyd ever did in Chicago, but the coaching results were basically the same.

I think a lot of people were excited about Hoiberg because they thought the players would keep the defensive mentality of Thibs, while Hoiberg revolutionized the offense. None of that happened.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If I recall, I felt like Hoiberg was just a repeat of Tim Floyd. Oddly they were even from the same colleges. Krause had a love affair with Floyd, and Gar seemed to have one with Hoiberg.

Hoiberg had a better team than Floyd ever did in Chicago, but the coaching results were basically the same.

I think a lot of people were excited about Hoiberg because they thought the players would keep the defensive mentality of Thibs, while Hoiberg revolutionized the offense. None of that happened.
About the only negative I have about Hoiberg based on the resume is lack of championship experience of any kind outside of his high school teams. But its not an absolute requirement to advancing this team forward...

I mean going by the last several coaches to win championship (and this list goes back 20 years, thats how little coaches have won titles):

Popovich did not have any championship experience before coaching the Spurs
Spoelstra - had experience as an assistant of Miami with Riley in 2006.
Carlisle - Won as a member of the 1986 Boston Celtics! Had finals experience as assistant of 2000 Pacers
Jackson - Won as a member of the NY Knicks
Rivers - No championship experience; Finals appearance with 1994 Knicks
Riley - Won championship as member of 1972 Lakers
Larry Brown - Won ABA Championship as player, won NCAA Title as college coach, 2001 Finals experience
Tomjanovich - No championship experience, Finals appearance with 1986 Rockets
Ehh you seemed a lil higher on him than Tim Floyd level. But certainly, you had more restraint than many others did back then

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ehh you seemed a lil higher on him than Tim Floyd level. But certainly, you had more restraint than many others did back then
What I said was more so a joke lol...

Again, I am not that into this move, I've kinda been sold by various articles about Hoiberg on how he's different than Floyd or most college coaches.

But I still can't shake that the NBA has not really had a successful college coach in a long time. There's now three in the league with Brad Stevens, Donovan, and Hoiberg, so we'll see what happens.

It won't surprised me if Hoiberg fails hard. I'd be more surprised if he's hugely successful. I kind of expect a slightly more intelligent Vinny Del Negro though.
Hmm. I certainly don't see the Tim Floyd stuff in this thread. Could have been an earlier thread when the Hoiberg rumors started...

Seems here I compared him more to a more intelligent VDN. I have a tendency to let articles/posts/etc talk me into this being a good idea (I've done this with the Bears often). I'm also generally willing to give the guy a chance to actually coach before I fully judge. I certainly had reservations though. Now a days I feel like I always have reservations.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All I recall was being against the hire and being about the only one
I think you certainly won the award for most vocally against Hoiberg from what I've seen going back through the thread announcing Hoiberg's hiring. Diddy1122 was also not particularly high on it from what I could see.

There's a level of "eh maybe he won't be so bad" types of thoughts. The comparisons to Tim Floyd situation was definitely there and it seems like people were saying Hoiberg won't be THAT bad. A lot of "this will be very different than Thibs" sort of thoughts which make sense for that time as Thibs had worn out the team and the fanbase by that point.

I don't seem to say anything definitive one way or the other lol, I just make jokes about how we'll be all offense and no defense.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think you certainly won the award for most vocally against Hoiberg from what I've seen going back through the thread announcing Hoiberg's hiring. Diddy1122 was also not particularly high on it from what I could see.

There's a level of "eh maybe he won't be so bad" types of thoughts. The comparisons to Tim Floyd situation was definitely there and it seems like people were saying Hoiberg won't be THAT bad. A lot of "this will be very different than Thibs" sort of thoughts which make sense for that time as Thibs had worn out the team and the fanbase by that point.

I don't seem to say anything definitive one way or the other lol, I just make jokes about how we'll be all offense and no defense.
And instead they had neither.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And instead they had neither.
Indeed. So I was wrong even on that front.

I found one post saying I hope Hoiberg doesn't end up like Tim Floyd. He basically did. Hopes and dreams crushed.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I was really high on Hoiberg. I had delusions of turning the Bulls into the Warriors.

7 years later and we still can't hit fucking 3's.

Hoiberg was terrible but they also did him no favors by giving him 3 non shooters with strong personalities. GarPax really had no idea what they were doing at the end. The Jimmy trade probably saved us from further suffering under them.

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I was really high on Hoiberg. I had delusions of turning the Bulls into the Warriors.

7 years later and we still can't hit fucking 3's.

Hoiberg was terrible but they also did him no favors but giving him 3 non shooters with strong personalities. GarPax really had no idea what they were doing at the end. The Jimmy trade actually probably saved us from further suffering under them.
Still remember Gar announcing the Bulls needed to get younger and more athletic….then goes out and gets Wade and Rondo lol….classic garpax

Bust

Liked Posts:
Butler with 47 points to tie the series.

Zach who?

Jimmy shot 16-29 from the floor. Led the team in steals, tied for the team lead in rebounds and 2nd in assists. All this with just one turnover to his name.

Zach who??

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Butler with 47 points to tie the series.

Zach who?

Jimmy shot 16-29 from the floor. Led the team in steals, tied for the team lead in rebounds and 2nd in assists. All this with just one turnover to his name.

Zach who??

And he’s playing hurt

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I mean…yeah jimmy is obviously better than LaVine. Bulls still got a good return for him, though. Should they have ditched Hoiberg and Garpax and kept jimmy? Yes. But as far as trade value for a star, the bulls actually got a good return. Zach is a lower tier all-star but the bulls whiffed on lauri. Imagine if instead of Lauri they drafted Bam Adebayo, Donovan Mitchell, or OG Anunoby. Trade would have looked much better.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Jimmy would have left after his contract was up. Bulls traded him when he had the most value

Bust

Liked Posts:
Jimmy would have left after his contract was up. Bulls traded him when he had the most value

Front office undervalued him due to his draft status.

Had he been a top 3 pick you can bet things would have turned out different in terms of the front office being more focused on building around him and letting him act out the way he did.

Once he came out and called his coach SOFT to the media <a direct shot at the front office for hiring Fred> his time in a bulls uniform was over.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Front office undervalued him due to his draft status.
False. They gave him a max contract. You don't give max contracts to players you don't value. They just saw the writing on the wall. They weren't ready to win a championship and he would be gone before they got to assemble one.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 2011 NBA Draft had Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Zach LaVine, Kemba Walker, Reggie Jackson, Valanciunas, Vucevic.

Given the fact that Leonard and Irving missed so many games in their career, I don't think it's crazy to consider taking Klay #1 and Jimmy #2.