John McDonough fired

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yah the jack lanterns of the internet who don't call posters dipshits for defending the best front office in Chicago and calling out others? lul

good try bruh. I realize you just kissing up to the moderator who took part in this thread so it's all good man!

You sound confused and upset. He didn't call you Dipshit, I did. Sorry if you didn't like it. We could just stay with Jack Off, or Dumbass, Cretin, Bonehead, Douchebag, Asswipe or Dork....we could even call you Dicklicker if you'd prefer. I don't think Ommy has a patent on it yet. I might have been off base here.....you're writing style reeks of a 15 year old which would just make you young and stupid. If you actually are a bit older, then you are past the point of redemption.....you will always be an airhead in search of an original thought.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Eh -- I would not say the only year that they mattered was when they lost to Pitt in the 92 Cup finals. That team/era was relevant for many years; not just one. The year they lost to Minny in the first round, they won the President's Trophy if I recall correctly and they made it to the playoffs and conference finals multiple times in that era.

I do agree with you though that McD deserves credit where it is due.
In public perception tho?

The president trophy year I recall being excited and none of my friends knew what a Blackhawks was.

Everyone knows about the Hawks now, even my kids who don't follow hockey know who Toews, Kane, and Keith are.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
And I will say this but take it for what it is;

The two people I know who worked under McD (one Cubs other Hawks) both said he's an abrasive person.

My one encounter with the guy in Elk Grove he was nothing but nice to everyone and listened to all the fans and was a rather pleasant guy. He seemed very "fan forward" back then.

Did things change? Probably, but I think his gruff demeanor offsets alot of his image.

Granada

Liked Posts:
In public perception tho?

The president trophy year I recall being excited and none of my friends knew what a Blackhawks was.

Everyone knows about the Hawks now, even my kids who don't follow hockey know who Toews, Kane, and Keith are.

Yes. I sort of think you're talking about two things here.

Hockey, as a whole, has come a long way not only in Chicago, but across the country, since the 90's. You can see it with the young/top draft picks coming up -- nowadays, a lot are coming from the US. I feel like the resurgence of the sport across the country coincided with the resurgence of one of the most marketable teams in the league in the Blackhawks -- it was a perfect storm.

That said, the Hawks had a solid and loyal following during those times. The sport as a whole wasn't nearly as popular as it is now -- both in Chicago and across the United States, yes -- but the following was indeed there nevertheless. To say "the only year that team mattered was in 92" is an over-reach in my view.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm just gonna say this.....whether it was McD, the players, the NHL, Rocky's ownership or the fans themselves.....it really makes no difference how or why but under McD's watch Chicago became a destination where players wanted to be and where hockey fans wanted to go. For many years Chicago was a place where NHL players ran and hid from. That in itself was a major achievement for this franchise.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
McD was brought on to Maximize the profits of the team as quickly as possible through any means necessary when Rocky took over. He needed to quickly get rid of the stigma of Dollar Bill. Don't forget too that Peter was originally named the owner, and passed it on to Rocky. So there was a lot of pressure on Rocky to show results quickly. You do this by hiring a guy with loads of experience propping up a bad product and making it a brand even when no one is buying. Luckily this infusion of money and marketing allowed for the organization to take advantage or the players/core that was in place when they all got there. With the bones of the rebuild already in place you didn't need a hockey guy at the top, just a guy who could make money. Unfortunately that ego led him to hire a finance guy as GM.
And here we are today. With a total clusterfuck of a roster and not much hope of getting out of CAP hell. Like I said before, this is why it's time for him to move on, you can't have no hockey people trying to fix and rebuild this team. It should be no wonder why Jay Blunk was his first big hire and not someone with actual hockey experience. The Hawks have largely followed the Cubs route of maximizing revenues, but the hawks don't have the same cred as the lovable losers and won't be able to skim by on that, plus I think Rocky really really really enjoys winning so there is only so much bottom line that will overcome winning. It's been a fruitful relationship for those two, but one that is defiately past it's prime and ready to go. And honestly, if you get a good hockey oriented president in, who brings in a good GM, I wouldn't be against Blunk staying in his role necessarily as he's basically jut Grinch Jr. so I don't know why you need them both.

Last edited:

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
John McD was absolutely needed at the time so stfu with the hate. Half you guys in this thread are bandwagon fans who only started following the team in 2010 so you wouldn't understand, lol

Get over yourself. I went to my first game in 1987...were you even born?? McDonough work d for the Chicago Sting for a few years and then the Cubs..ZERO hockey experience other than being a fan of the Hawks. Mike Smith (Byfuglien, Brouwer, Bickell, Burish, Crawford, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson) and Dale Talking (Toews, Kane) assembled a turnkey Cup winning machine that McDonough shrewdly marketed. When it started to falter due to the hard cap and aging players, his soccer/baseball background was exposed, and he didn't know enough to realize that Stan is an incompetent boob. Appreciate his work marketing the Hawks in the modern era, but he didn't build zit, and it's time to move on.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will soon know all we need to know about McD as a good Team President. From where his next job is.

Raise your hand if you think he will work for another hockey organization ever again? Anyone? Go ahead, raise them high.... buuueeeeellllerrr
It would be harder to find a worse situation to step into, oh wait a very talented core and some pretty good role players in place and a great sports town starving for good hockey.

"All the pieces are in place"

Granada

Liked Posts:
We will soon know all we need to know about McD as a good Team President. From where his next job is.

Raise your hand if you think he will work for another hockey organization ever again? Anyone? Go ahead, raise them high.... buuueeeeellllerrr

Um, that wouldn't prove anything either way, really.

You can try all you like, but you can't deny his success here -- whether he works for another hockey org, another sports org or simply decides to retire.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Um, that wouldn't prove anything either way, really.

You can try all you like, but you can't deny his success here -- whether he works for another hockey org, another sports org or simply decides to retire.

I can and do deny the success you and a few others want to give him. As I said (actually Dave Wanstedt said "all the pieces are in place"... a strong core and some good role players in a hungry sports town craving a good hockey team .

Given mediocre talent when he signed with the Hawks and he's just another crusty old white guy in a suit with a title of team president.

I still wonder why the Cubs never won a World Series Championship when he was there.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I can and do deny the success you and a few others want to give him. As I said (actually Dave Wanstedt said "all the pieces are in place"... a strong core and some good role players in a hungry sports town craving a good hockey team .

Given mediocre talent when he signed with the Hawks and he's just another crusty old white guy in a suit with a title of team president.

I still wonder why the Cubs never won a World Series Championship when he was there.

Why are we using Dave Wanstedt of all people in this argument? Lol

Like I said, McD was responsible for pretty much building the front office from the ground up, putting games on TV, bringing the legends back, bringing Foley back, and possibly Hossa, etc. I know you like to say these were no-brainers, but that's irrelevant to the fact that they were things that every fan wanted and that helped this org out of the doldrums -- it's undeniable, for those that don't have an odd and somewhat unexplained bias against the guy. Also, assuming it was easy to accomplish all these things is impossible to prove.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are we using Dave Wanstedt of all people in this argument? Lol

Like I said, McD was responsible for pretty much building the front office from the ground up, putting games on TV, bringing the legends back, bringing Foley back, and possibly Hossa, etc. I know you like to say these were no-brainers, but that's irrelevant to the fact that they were things that every fan wanted and that helped this org out of the doldrums -- it's undeniable, for those that don't have an odd and somewhat unexplained bias against the guy. Also, assuming it was easy to accomplish all these things is impossible to prove.
"All the pieces are in place" was reiterated and laughed at among Bears fans,and talk radio for some time because he was clearly wrong, the team was bad and stayed bad. It's relevant in this case because all the pieces were in place regarding the product on the ice, regardless of who the team president is.

If you look around the various leagues in all sports there's lots of marketing creativity. I was at the Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull car on the ice game and loved it. Absolutely no doubt he rebuilt the whole structure of the front office top to bottom, he's supposed to be good at that part, he has no business getting involved in on ice decisions. Had he done what Theo Epstein did with the Cubs, brought in his scouts and drafted and rebuilt the product on the field/ice he would deserve mega credit.

A lot of fans were pissed when Foley was shown the door, when the whole picture changed upon Bill's passing he had to be chomping at the bit for the opportunity to come back, more money, talented young players that gave the Hawks a very bright future. The Hawks were the hottest thing in town, potential sponsors would be ringing the phone of the wall.

As for your point about him possibly being responsible for choosing Hossa over Havlat, I'd like to think Stan came up with that on his own. I do think Tallon left because he wouldn't succumb to being a Grinch puppet like Stan is or was.

So I say again those players were going to do what they did regardless of who has a President of the Chicago Black Hawks plaque on their office door.

Granada

Liked Posts:
"All the pieces are in place" was reiterated and laughed at among Bears fans,and talk radio for some time because he was clearly wrong, the team was bad and stayed bad. It's relevant in this case because all the pieces were in place regarding the product on the ice, regardless of who the team president is.

If you look around the various leagues in all sports there's lots of marketing creativity. I was at the Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull car on the ice game and loved it. Absolutely no doubt he rebuilt the whole structure of the front office top to bottom, he's supposed to be good at that part, he has no business getting involved in on ice decisions. Had he done what Theo Epstein did with the Cubs, brought in his scouts and drafted and rebuilt the product on the field/ice he would deserve mega credit.

A lot of fans were pissed when Foley was shown the door, when the whole picture changed upon Bill's passing he had to be chomping at the bit for the opportunity to come back, more money, talented young players that gave the Hawks a very bright future. The Hawks were the hottest thing in town, potential sponsors would be ringing the phone of the wall.

As for your point about him possibly being responsible for choosing Hossa over Havlat, I'd like to think Stan came up with that on his own. I do think Tallon left because he wouldn't succumb to being a Grinch puppet like Stan is or was.

So I say again those players were going to do what they did regardless of who has a President of the Chicago Black Hawks plaque on their office door.

Okay, thanks for explaining it. I mean, every coach (and players for that matter) has uttered that phrase "All the pieces are in place for a big year this year," etc. even if they know their team sucks -- they have to say that.

Tallon was fired. He didn't leave on his own accord; and I don't think he would have wanted to, considering his team was on the precipice of greatness.

It's a little convenient to believe that Stan came up with Hossa, when McD has been labeled as getting too involved in on-ice acquisitions, particularly those of the pricey free-agent variety.

I agree those players would have done the same thing regardless of who was president -- that's a separate argument though. The argument here is, whether or not McD deserves credit in general, let alone for what the team did. Of course: the bulk of the credit should go to the players, coaches, GM's (including Bowman; not to the extent of his predecessors, but nevertheless) -- but in terms of reviving the organization from a marketing and operational perspective, McD deserves credit.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Okay, thanks for explaining it. I mean, every coach (and players for that matter) has uttered that phrase "All the pieces are in place for a big year this year," etc. even if they know their team sucks -- they have to say that.

Tallon was fired. He didn't leave on his own accord; and I don't think he would have wanted to, considering his team was on the precipice of greatness.

It's a little convenient to believe that Stan came up with Hossa, when McD has been labeled as getting too involved in on-ice acquisitions, particularly those of the pricey free-agent variety.

I agree those players would have done the same thing regardless of who was president -- that's a separate argument though. The argument here is, whether or not McD deserves credit in general, let alone for what the team did. Of course: the bulk of the credit should go to the players, coaches, GM's (including Bowman; not to the extent of his predecessors, but nevertheless) -- but in terms of reviving the organization from a marketing and operational perspective, McD deserves credit.

I have no idea why this rages on....logically, there shouldn't be any argument. Under McD's watch the Chicago Blackhawks had the best decade in the history of the franchise. That is undeniable fact. Trying to speculate on what would have happened had he not been here or if someone else had been here, is foolish....he was here and that will never change. Anything else is conjecture.

R K

Liked Posts:
McD was brought on to Maximize the profits of the team as quickly as possible through any means necessary when Rocky took over. He needed to quickly get rid of the stigma of Dollar Bill. Don't forget too that Peter was originally named the owner, and passed it on to Rocky. So there was a lot of pressure on Rocky to show results quickly. You do this by hiring a guy with loads of experience propping up a bad product and making it a brand even when no one is buying. Luckily this infusion of money and marketing allowed for the organization to take advantage or the players/core that was in place when they all got there. With the bones of the rebuild already in place you didn't need a hockey guy at the top, just a guy who could make money. Unfortunately that ego led him to hire a finance guy as GM.
And here we are today. With a total clusterfuck of a roster and not much hope of getting out of CAP hell. Like I said before, this is why it's time for him to move on, you can't have no hockey people trying to fix and rebuild this team. It should be no wonder why Jay Blunk was his first big hire and not someone with actual hockey experience. The Hawks have largely followed the Cubs route of maximizing revenues, but the hawks don't have the same cred as the lovable losers and won't be able to skim by on that, plus I think Rocky really really really enjoys winning so there is only so much bottom line that will overcome winning. It's been a fruitful relationship for those two, but one that is defiately past it's prime and ready to go. And honestly, if you get a good hockey oriented president in, who brings in a good GM, I wouldn't be against Blunk staying in his role necessarily as he's basically jut Grinch Jr. so I don't know why you need them both.

That's a pretty good post.

Hawks were on TV before McClown arrived, just the road games, and Jack Lantern isn't even a good Troll, but he's a pretty good idiot.

It will be nice to have a President of Business Operations that doesn't control everything Hockey Operations does.

I'd keep Danny as overall head, hire Pete for Business Ops and go out and find a Hockey Ops guy, from OUTSIDE the organization (Not Eddie). Let fall what falls with Stan, if that Hockey Guy wants his own GM and thus new coach. I like Colliton but they set him up to fail with little experience. He might be a good NHL coach some day, but this wasn't the time.

Not defending Stan but hard to do your Job when the "King" always puts his stamp on everything, yet knows nothing about the actual product he's stamping, IE hockey. FYI it was Mcdonough who was responsible for Panarin being traded. 100%.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hawks were on TV before McClown arrived, just the road games, and Jack Lantern isn't even a good Troll, but he's a pretty good idiot.

It will be nice to have a President of Business Operations that doesn't control everything Hockey Operations does.

I'd keep Danny as overall head, hire Pete for Business Ops and go out and find a Hockey Ops guy, from OUTSIDE the organization (Not Eddie). Let fall what falls with Stan, if that Hockey Guy wants his own GM and thus new coach. I like Colliton but they set him up to fail with little experience. He might be a good NHL coach some day, but this wasn't the time.

Not defending Stan but hard to do your Job when the "King" always puts his stamp on everything, yet knows nothing about the actual product he's stamping, IE hockey. FYI it was Mcdonough who was responsible for Panarin being traded. 100%.

Great post.
Is this THEE RK? If so, good to see ya.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

The prodical son returns. Good hearing from you.