Jorge Soler

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Yeah. I always liked him because he shown plate discipline early, more than the others others .

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Has anyone actually looked at Solers stats since leaving the cubs? They aren't all that impressive.

I like soler and would welcome him back, but he's been pretty mediocre to bad for a lot of the last 5 years.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Has anyone actually looked at Solers stats since leaving the cubs? They aren't all that impressive.

I like soler and would welcome him back, but he's been pretty mediocre to bad for a lot of the last 5 years.
Yeah, it’s kinda odd people are on here acting like we “missed” out on the guy or something. Not to mention, Wade Davis was critical to giving the cubs a chance at repeating the next year

I don’t understand why people try to create reasons to “knock” Theo. The guy delivered the “undeliverable” and people just want to nitpick every move he ever made? Fucking weird to me

cubs needed a closer, and they had a glut of OF’s at the time. And Schwarber was the “untouchable” one in the OF, so it was Soler that was traded to get a closer to replace Chapman. It was absolutely the smart trade at the time

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Wade Davis had a 2.38 ERA and was an All Star for the Cubs in the one year he was here. And the cubs were trying to repeat as champs w/o Chapman. Imagine the cunting that would of gone on on CCS had Theo taken the cubs into that title defense season without a proven closer

instead, now CCS gets to cunt in full 20/20 vision over a guy that has produced 3.5 WAR for his ENTIRE 8 year career ? yeah, we’ve really missed him

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Hindsight is 20/20. Soler was bad in the outfield compared to Heyward, and Heyward had a much better track record at the time.

It was Soler's job to convince Theo he needed to stay by playing well, and he didn't until 2019.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Hindsight is 20/20. Soler was bad in the outfield compared to Heyward, and Heyward had a much better track record at the time.

It was Soler's job to convince Theo he needed to stay by playing well, and he didn't until 2019.

If only I had a dime for every time someone said "hindsight is 20/20" when defending another one of Theo's asshat trades.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Wade Davis had a 2.38 ERA and was an All Star for the Cubs in the one year he was here. And the cubs were trying to repeat as champs w/o Chapman. Imagine the cunting that would of gone on on CCS had Theo taken the cubs into that title defense season without a proven closer

instead, now CCS gets to cunt in full 20/20 vision over a guy that has produced 3.5 WAR for his ENTIRE 8 year career ? yeah, we’ve really missed him
Can't have it both ways. When people criticized the Gleyber Torres for Chapman trade, Theo's defenders said the trade worked because Chapman was integral to winning the WS. Okay fine.

Then by the same logic, the Soler for Davis trade did not work because the Cubs didn't even make it to another WS. In fact, they got their asses handed to them in the 2017 NLCS.

People need to figure out the measuring stick for evaluating these trades and be consistent. I'm tired of the constant flip flopping and changing of criteria in order to defend Theo.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Can't have it both ways. When people criticized the Gleyber Torres for Chapman trade, Theo's defenders said the trade worked because Chapman was integral to winning the WS. Okay fine.

Then by the same logic, the Soler for Davis trade did not work because the Cubs didn't even make it to another WS. In fact, they got their asses handed to them in the 2017 NLCS.

People need to figure out the measuring stick for evaluating these trades and be consistent. I'm tired of the constant flip flopping and changing of criteria in order to defend Theo.

My personal bar is making the playoffs. Maybe a little higher at getting to the divisional series. Only one team can win a title in any year. Only 1/3 of teams even make the playoffs versus the nearly half or more in every other major sports. The trades worked. You can't even put Soler on the Cubs. KC had him and gave him to Atlanta.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
If only I had a dime for every time someone said "hindsight is 20/20" when defending another one of Theo's asshat trades.
Wasn’t Wade Davis an All-Star here?

And Soler was below replacement level all year till a red hot playoff series?

c298e545deaf6d8644150fbe6de7e67e3ca93f69b907066010f1707e38c1d398_1.jpg

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Do you remember 2017? Cubs don’t make it to the NLCS to get their asses handed to them if they don’t have wade Davis. Davis was literally the only bullpen arm Joe trusted in the playoffs that season

both the Chapman and Davis trades were smart moves at the time, and helped to maximize the window of competing with the core. To think having soler instead would of somehow helped the cubs is just dumb.

again, I’ll repeat it…Soler has 3.5 WAR accumulated for his ENTIRE career. He’s not anyone to lose sleep over not having, just because he played a nice dozen games or so this season.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I think the measuring stick would be that Chapman won us a world series and soler has not been very good since being traded but Davis was a really good closer for us for a year.

Btw it is laughable that someone in here said Soler always hustled.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Wade Davis was an all star and solidified a shaky bullpen. WE lost in 2017 for the same reason we lost in 18/19/20, because we lacked contact hitting, which SOler would only make worse.

Hindsight shows this was a good move. Not sure what you are arguing for here.

Theo's failures weren't trading Soler, it was not building a balanced lineup with less swing and miss. Soler would not have improved that in any way.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'll admit it....I liked Soler. And unlike some other people here, I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. Anytime a player gets bounced around from team to team, you know there's a problem. The guy has a history of injuries, is a poor defender and strikes out a lot. You can't even call him inconsistent.....he's had one good year in his entire career. Getting hot for a few days in October isn't going to change what he is. Which is a DH....not a National League outfielder.

Davis was decent and pretty much did what they wanted him to do but since it was such a short term.....the trade is probably a wash.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a Braves fan (of many years). He got hot at the right time, don't know if you could count on him much otherwise