JSN in a Trade Down for the Bears

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Addison is 173 pounds and Flowers is 5-9. Both have size issues. JSN is 6-1 and 196. So bigger and quicker than both.
And slower. And from what I can tell not as physical. And not as good after the catch.

I'd also say Zay Flowers plays significantly quicker in-game than Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Quicker cuts, quicker change of direction and better balance at game speed against real defenders. This is evident from watching both, Flowers looks faster and more nimble.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Addison is 173 pounds and Flowers is 5-9. Both have size issues. JSN is 6-1 and 196. So bigger and quicker than both.
That’s a good point. Forgot Addison was so slight.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And I made my point and proved it. You are too delusional to realize it and that's why I don't bother to waste my time. The fact you are @ me trying to claim you are making a stance further proves my point. Sure, you made a stance. Congrats. Finally. You want the #1 overall rated player in this draft or the #1 rated wide receiver. I guess its better than saying nothing and just complaining in the future with the benefit of hindsight..
I want the Bears to get a haul of high picks over the next 3 drafts by making a couple trade downs, but thanks for being wrong again

loser

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And slower. And from what I can tell not as physical. And not as good after the catch.

I'd also say Zay Flowers plays significantly quicker in-game than Jaxon Smith-Njigba. Quicker cuts, quicker change of direction and better balance at game speed against real defenders. This is evident from watching both, Flowers looks faster and more nimble.

We dont know his 40 time yet. Everything else you said I disagree with.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
With claypool and Mooney and kmet up for extensions it’s makes allot of sense to add a weapon through the draft.
I'd wager that all 3 of them are getting re-signed unless Claypool can't get it together mentally.
Mooney and Kmet are solid building blocks with the both the high character and football IQ that Poles and Eberflus covet and will both be back resigned IMO.

Either way a true #1 or multiple other offense threats are needed. Get JSN at #9 from Carolina, a receiving TE on day 2 in this loaded class and spend serious capital on a Center and RT is the way forward. Still plenty of picks and dollars to shape the defense.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
A highly productive slot wr is EXACTLY what takes Fields to the next level. Not sure why folks think that's a knock on the selection.
Its probably the best option available to take him to the next level.

I think getting Ja'Marr Chase or CeeDee Lamb would be exactly the best scenario to take Fields to the next level.

Fields is still a work in progress but at this point he loves to look and go deep and having a Chase, AJ Brown, Adams there to explode past defenders and/or come down with those deep ball shots would result in a lot of big plays with Fields downfield accuracy. Granted the focus this year is on Fields seeing and taking the easy stuff a rare deep threat dominant receiver would pair so well with Fields innate playstyle.

Might be a good case for signing Hopkins.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Kevin Fishbain of The Athletic just posted a new mock draft. He traded back to 9 and guess who he selected? Maybe I should apply for a position over there since I was proposing this yesterday.

From Fishbain via The Athletic:

“The Bears land in the same spot — No. 9 — but do so after only one trade, with the Carolina Panthers. A new coach (Frank Reich) and an owner (David Tepper) who should be itching to draft a quarterback make the Panthers possibly the best option to accumulate 2024 and 2025 picks.

The 49ers’ 2021 trade up from No. 12 to No. 3 for quarterback Trey Lance was used as the blueprint for this deal. The 49ers sent the Dolphins their first-round picks in 2021, 2022 and 2023 and a third-round pick in 2021 to move up.

Our mock draft 2.0 has the Panthers giving up their first-round pick (No. 9) and second-round pick (No. 39) in addition to first-round picks in 2024 and 2025.

If Poles plays hard ball well enough, it wouldn’t be surprising if he’s able to net more.

Round 1, Pick 9 (from projected trade with Panthers)​

Kevin Fishbain: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

Let’s peel back the curtain and go through the thought process here before you angrily jump ahead to the comments:

• Texas Tech edge Tyree Wilson isn’t available, and I’m not going to copy my colleague’s pick to strengthen the defensive line. That’s no fun.
• It’s a little cliche for the Northwestern guy to take Peter Skoronski, no? And then bypassing the other top tackles is a projection that the Bears take care of finding a starter in free agency.
• Then I read Bruce Feldman’s takeaways from the combine.

Last year, we saw Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave produce 1,000-plus-yard seasons as rookies. Feldman writes, “According to the coaches we’ve spoken to who faced all three of them, Smith-Njigba is much more physical and has better change of direction than Wilson and Olave.”

Just turn on the 2022 Rose Bowl highlights. Smith-Njigba was electric. It’s an added bonus that he’s friends with his former teammate, Justin Fields, who has already lobbied for Smith-Njigba, but this is about the Bears getting a dynamic receiver on the field. He proved himself further with a strong combine.

It’s not going to happen via free agency. It’s going to be challenging to find that player via trade. The Bears might have two No. 2 receivers right now in Darnell Mooney and Chase Claypool. Maybe Smith-Njigba gives them three, but at least he has the potential to be a No. 1. He’s a playmaker, and that’s something the offense desperately needs. I’d rather have Smith-Njigba and his potential and age on a rookie deal than give up premium picks for older, injury-plagued receivers.”

USATSI_19562122-e1678228956848-1024x682.jpg

Montucky

Liked Posts:
So this guy's idea is to add another player the Bears already have two of? Its some sort of mystical thinking cargo cult behavior that if the Bears waste enough draft picks on wide receivers (particularly bad ones) that the gods will come down and teach Justin Fields how to throw.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
So this guy's idea is to add another player the Bears already have two of? Its some sort of mystical thinking cargo cult behavior that if the Bears waste enough draft picks on wide receivers (particularly bad ones) that the gods will come down and teach Justin Fields how to throw.
If you think JSN is a bad receiver, you really should take a break from posting.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

One if fields fails the next qb will still need wrs and ol something fields never had his first two seasons

Two that’s fine you don’t like jsn. But you’re having a meltdown cause it’s jsn vs van ness. Who the hell has a multi page meltdown for meh player like van ness lol

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If you think JSN is a bad receiver, you really should take a break from posting.
All this hype got me to go back and watch him from two years ago (you know, because he missed last year almost entirely with injury...) and he's really not impressive. Good catch in traffic, good route-running and pretty outstanding at tracking the ball in the air and keeping foot control. But the rest is either average or below.

He's not fast at all. Seriously just queue up highlight reels of Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Zay Flowers and the difference is stark in the way they move. He can't elude, he is not physical at all and he does basically nothing after the catch unless he's playing a team like Akron. He's a possession receiver who doesn't have the top-line speed or shake to get open against better competition. You keep thinking to yourself that his great plays won't be possible when facing NFL defensive backs who all match or exceed Smith-Njigba's athleticism.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
One if fields fails the next qb will still need wrs and ol something fields never had his first two seasons

Two that’s fine you don’t like jsn. But you’re having a meltdown cause it’s jsn vs van ness. Who the hell has a multi page meltdown for meh player like van ness lol
I offered about a half dozen players to pick instead.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
All this hype got me to go back and watch him from two years ago (you know, because he missed last year almost entirely with injury...) and he's really not impressive. Good catch in traffic, good route-running and pretty outstanding at tracking the ball in the air and keeping foot control. But the rest is either average or below.

He's not fast at all. Seriously just queue up highlight reels of Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Zay Flowers and the difference is stark in the way they move. He can't elude, he is not physical at all and he does basically nothing after the catch unless he's playing a team like Akron. He's a possession receiver who doesn't have the top-line speed or shake to get open against better competition. You keep thinking to yourself that his great plays won't be possible when facing NFL defensive backs who all match or exceed Smith-Njigba's athleticism.
I’m quite familiar with Zay Flowers. He’s a fine player. JSN has elite numbers that lead to separation on a football field. His numbers are better than what OBJ or Kupp posted. Did you know Kupp ran a 4.62 40 at the combine in ‘17?

He’ll be open all day in the NFL and he’ll be open early. That is a QB’s best friend.

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I quite familiar with Zay Flowers. He’s a fine player. JSN has elite numbers that lead to separation on a football field. His numbers are better than what OBJ or Kupp posted. Did you know Kupp ran a 4.62 40 at the combine in ‘17?

He’ll be open all day in the NFL and he’ll be open early. That is a QB’s best friend.
Worthless response.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm not confident in a JSN pick. If you want someone with the tOSU connection, I suggest Paris Johnson Jr.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
For your RASturbators out there who think this is some unmissable talent, here's Jaxon Smith-Njigba with Cooper Kupp's forty times used a placeholder.

jsnras.gif