Just an idea..

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So we have the three prospects.. Rizzo, Jackson, Vitters.. Within reasonable time away from the big call up..

Instead of bringing each one up separately and putting them under pressure by themselves.. Why not all three at the same time?

It should lessen the pressure on them individually.. Also would make swift wholesale changes for non-performing players that are up now..

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a terrible idea. I am not sure Vitters should be viewed in the same light as Jackson and Rizzo. He has been doing a few things to put him back on the radar, specifically walking more, but there is a problem with your plan. To get the extra year of control, Rizzo won't be able to come up until late June I think, Rice posted a MLB Traderumor chart that had it. That would mean an awfully long wait since Jackson could probably come up in a week or two to get the extra year prior to free agency.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's more likely going to be Jackson and Rizzo called up at the same time than Vitters. Vitters is still fairly young as well. But all that is contingent on whether they can get rid of the vets clogging up spots in time. Try as you may, it's very hard to just bench a guy who's been in the MLB for a decade.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Stewart gets a longer chance to impress at 3B. I think the Cubs want to see what they have in Stewart as well since he can actually field the position. Though as far as ages go, Vitters is only 19 days younger than Rizzo.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Byrd is useless now.. So thats the spot for BJax

Again, Byrd could be done, but unless he is playing we won't know. There are a few teams out there that need a CF, and if Byrd rebounds we might be able to get something for him. We don't lose anything by waiting a few weeks to find out. If he is still struggling this badly in a couple weeks than we can talk about benching him. Until then, let Jackson continue his streak of not striking out in AAA.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
They're in no rush. They'll wait until that seventh year is guaranteed, most likely.