Just got the call from the Cubs

czman

Liked Posts:
So I just got the call about season tickets. I thought it would take about 5-10 more years, only took ~7. Not sure I want the tickets yet. Anyone know hard it is to sell day tickets or tickets in general?

I am bot in a place where I can go to 81 games and most people I know either don't like sports, are broke, or have to work weekdays like me.

Any thoughts from season ticket holders past or present would be appreciated.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I just got the call about season tickets. I thought it would take about 5-10 more years, only took ~7. Not sure I want the tickets yet. Anyone know hard it is to sell day tickets or tickets in general?

I am bot in a place where I can go to 81 games and most people I know either don't like sports, are broke, or have to work weekdays like me.

I would think you can sell high on certain games. May have to go lower on smaller game but you probably make a profit. Just time on your part, but I think they will have a team competing this year.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Not sure about baseball or cubs season tickets, but I know NBA tickets there is an app that basically sells season tickets you don’t want to use for you ahead of time. You basically just tell the app which games you want to sell off and for how much and it finds the buyer for you. I would imagine it works the same way for MLB

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

You wont make much money unless they are a playoff team. I had them 2015-2019. For 2-3 years, it was great. Could sell above face value if I couldn't go. But there were a lot of games where I had to sell below face or even give them away.

My best suggestion: Find a group of friends to split with. That's what I did.

czman

Liked Posts:
You wont make much money unless they are a playoff team. I had them 2015-2019. For 2-3 years, it was great. Could sell above face value if I couldn't go. But there were a lot of games where I had to sell below face or even give them away.

My best suggestion: Find a group of friends to split with. That's what I did.
Do you even think making money is possible if they are not in the playoffs and selling playoff tickets? I just don't want to take a bath on this since I won't be able to go to most games.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Do you even think making money is possible if they are not in the playoffs and selling playoff tickets? I just don't want to take a bath on this since I won't be able to go to most games.
It's possible. But very, very slim. That was just my experience. I had 200 level under awning between first and home. Great seats. Rough selling weekday games.

Bleachers were a little easier.

czman

Liked Posts:
I skipped it. Just to far from retirement, regrettably.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

If you're worried about "taking a bath" on a couple grand then you're too broke to afford them in the first place.

czman

Liked Posts:
how much were they asking in 2023 ?
The seats I was looking at were in the 4100-4800 range so about 9k for two. I was not able to purchase until later so the availability they had was already limited. If the had some best of that range I probably would have purchased. The closest any section had was 7 rows back. So the tickets would have been mid tier in any section.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lmao at thinking 2k is something you need wealth for

Sounds like your priorities are just fucked up

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think it could be a couple years.

Cubs usually sell ok regardless. You have to look at it long term…can I invest in this and is it worth my time to me to deal to break even every year and take a loss for two years when it more than pays for itself all years in year 5 or something.

It sounds like a long term investment that can pay off and give you access to desired games but requires start up capital and time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs most likely will do better than projections. Historical data shows the teams that have done that all have one thing in common. Top shelf D

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

For future reference, 7 is indeed between 5 and 10.