Just me, or was the officiating particularly horrible today?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
For what it's worth, I wouldn't have created this thread if we lost. That's some pussy ass bullshit in my opinion. But since we won, and are well outside of the "excuse zone", I thought it was in the realm of stuff that was worth discussing. Because I truly felt the officiating was flat out terrible.
I'm so upset with you right now.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So many controversial calls coming on pivotal plays was infuriating. Both roughing calls turned into 7 points for the Falcons instead of stops. And the td overturned to an interception should have been flagged.

I don't get how refs keep missing PI when the DB never turns his head. ARob has been a victim of uncalled PI in 3 consecutive weeks so I'm not surprised to see him losing his shit out there.

This was one of the weirdest games I've seen.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
There is absolutely no way you can objectively believe that was a catch by Robinson. No way. Under what definition of catch. He touched the ball. He did not catch it.
I guess you didn’t have the volume on. Even Feriera(sp) thought overturning the call was wrong.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What do you expect him to do?

There is no way under any interpretation of the rules an objective observer says he caught that ball.
Are you sure you aren’t thinking about the Miller TD overturn? If not, yikes!

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The saints were just penalized for a horse collar and it wasn’t even close. Seems the packers are still the favorites of the refs

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
As much as I hate the Calvin Johnson rule, I don’t see how that doesn’t apply to the Arob’s catch. You have to control the ball even after going to the ground. Remove the defender on this play, and it’s an incomplete pass if he loses the ball after hitting the ground.
That’s not the point though. It was ruled a catch because he ruled it a TD. I want to see “indisputable video evidence” that Allen Robinson didn’t have possession to justify that INT. Otherwise it’s BS. The key word being indisputable, meaning it cannot be reasonably argued.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Ignoring how the calls went, I think they definitely had a poor game today. The big one is the roughing the passer and forward pass on return penalties being "offsetting" - it should be obvious these 2 are on the same team and not offsetting. Not to mention the replay showed it was a backwards lateral, and not even particularly close to being a forward pass.

Then the ghost flag for illegal shift on 3rd & 3 (then almost became 4th & 3) but then called back to 3rd & 8 without a flag ever being on the field.

Regardless of what you think about the judgement on those calls, the execution of them was objectively poor.

I also think the Robinson TD overturned to an Int was bad - it should have been called an int from the start, but there was no video replay of the ball when both players hit the ground and obscured the view - so shouldnt be enough to over turn. I think refs overturned it because they were embarass to botch the call in the first place. But im not 100% sure on how bad that one was so ill give them the benefit of the doubt.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Call reversed on Robinson TD was a joke. What’s the point of replay, if the replay official can’t get it right? Bears DL was getting held with regularity.

When they throw it to New York and Riveron you end up with one of the worst former on-field refs making the final decision. I’m not sure how that jackass ever ended up with that job but he is brutal. Bogar is consistently one of the worst officials too. It is amazing they won that game today. The Robinson catch is a TD every day of the week especially when that was the call on the field.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
When they throw it to New York and Riveron you end up with one of the worst former on-field refs making the final decision. I’m not sure how that jackass ever ended up with that job but he is brutal. Bogar is consistently one of the worst officials too. It is amazing they won that game today. The Robinson catch is a TD every day of the week especially when that was the call on the field.

Yes, the fact that it was ruled a TD on the field should have made it impossible to overturn. This was egregiously bad officiating.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The saints are getting hosed by the refs against the packers

mecha

Liked Posts:
I don’t normally whine about the refs but Jerome Boger is a consistently awful official. Remember when he took a record tying or setting (can’t remember which) TD for Hester off the board?

I never liked him. or his dopey voice. or his shit calls. fuck him.

sidenote: got to hear Joe Buck today. even he wasn't as bad as Booger.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Something that struck me was that they called "offsides" on the Bears offense at least twice. Did he mean illegal formation? False start? Offensive offsides is just not a thing that is ever called. They didn't provide replays, so I guess it's possible a WR lined up too far, but twice?

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I could be wrong but I thought there was a situation where the Bears had a 3rd and 3. They didn’t convert, but had an illegal motion or shift. They gave them the penalty and let them replay the down making it 3rd and 8. Later in the game I thought Atlanta committed the same penalty and also didn’t convert. But they let us decline the penalty to make it 4th down. Did Atlanta accept the penalty when we did it? Am I confused about what the penalty was? If Atlanta accepted the penalty then why? It would have been 4th and 3.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
And on the RTP Ryan had already fumbled anyway. It happened fast, but it was a completely seperate hits that caused the fumble and made the head to head contact. Mack sacked and stripped him and the other guy hit him head to head as he was going down. The bill was already out though. It should have been Chicago ball even with the penalty.

If a qb fumbles and the defense recovers and in the chaos the qb gets blindsided and they throw a flag for unnecessary roughness they don’t reverse the turnover.

Technically at that point I’m not even sure it can be roughing the passer. He’s already fumbled the ball.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Listen, I wanted it to be a TD too, but you people claiming he caught it and especially “made a football move” are just a liiiiitle bit homers. Or drunk. Or both.

Please, for comedic relief, tell us what that football move was. He didn’t have the ball when he cam down. What move?????

The part where he had control of the ball with BOTH hands (yes, DB's arm was in the mix too), while he landed on one foot, fell over with his helmet hitting the ground (still no evidence of loss of control). Duel possession at that point likely, but dual possession goes to the offense by rule.

After landing on his head for the completion of the catch, he rolled over and it was stripped. TD done & dead before that to my understanding. I thought incomplete at first also, b/c only one foot landed before the roll over DB's body, but a head definitely counts as down.

As much as I hate the Calvin Johnson rule, I don’t see how that doesn’t apply to the Arob’s catch. You have to control the ball even after going to the ground. Remove the defender on this play, and it’s an incomplete pass if he loses the ball after hitting the ground.

Remove the defender and it's not stripped away after he controls the ball and is down in the endzone. There's no football move once down by contact.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1 of the 2 roughing the passer penalties (the first) was iffy. Ryan was the one who lowered his helmet as the defender was already approaching contact - DEF within 1 step / 1 second of the throw coming out. Bad call, but not atrocious.

The 2nd for Hick's textbook squared up tackle of Ryan on 3rd down incomplete pass was criminal.

Miller did not catch that first TD they took back. It was close but they got it right.

I expected more holding no-calls on OL lame duck attempts to contain Mack, Hicks, & Quinn. I was right. I hate this.
On a weekly basis.

Can somebody please explain why a coach doesn't get to keep his challenge WHEN HE WINS AND IS FUCKING CORRECT TO CHALLENGE A WRONG CALL!???

If I hear again about "slowing down the game" ...I call 100% bullshit. Get it right. Accountability is what fans normal humans crave & f'in deserve.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Super happy that the Bears came away with a W, but ffs, the officiating seemed particularly horrible today. Between non-calls, roughing the passer, TDs called back and penalties generally overall this game was a lot closer than it should have been IMO.

I don't like griping about this sort of thing, because it generally balances out and goes both ways, but today was pretty bad IMHO.

it was fucking horrible

Highsteppingbruin

Liked Posts:
Any scenario where the offensive player has control of the ball and the defensive player can strip the ball away while the offensive player is on the ground doesn't make sense.
If they want to keep the process of a catch then the best ruling would be incomplete but I don't think they have a rule for this scenario other than the catch was not completed yet. Thus, thinking it is a live ball still and the defender can wrestle the ball away on the ground which is bullshit if that is the call. That was a good catch but ARob still needs to add some strength.

Last edited:

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
The part where he had control of the ball with BOTH hands (yes, DB's arm was in the mix too), while he landed on one foot, fell over with his helmet hitting the ground (still no evidence of loss of control). Duel possession at that point likely, but dual possession goes to the offense by rule.

After landing on his head for the completion of the catch, he rolled over and it was stripped. TD done & dead before that to my understanding. I thought incomplete at first also, b/c only one foot landed before the roll over DB's body, but a head definitely counts as down.

Remove the defender and it's not stripped away after he controls the ball and is down in the endzone. There's no football move once down by contact.

Exactly. Rewatch the play he was clearly down before the db pulled the ball out. Dual possession guess to the offensive player. There is no scenario where that is not a TD if you watch the play from a clear angle