Just watched Martellus during his rookie year on Cowgirls Hard Knocks

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
Glad we have him now and not then. They were hammering him on details and it seemed like he was kinda blowing it off. I know my diehard cowboy fan buddie despised him back then. That being said I think he has finally matured as a person and player and I think we got ourselves a late bloomer. I can't wait to see him catch a ball over the middle and NOT fall on his ass.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I couldn't agree more. I think it was a mixture of his bad attitude and being behind Witten on the depth chart that chaffed him. Given the opportunity with the Giants, he displayed some good skills that will hopefully translate to our new O. I'm not saying that he'll be Jimmy G but he has some tools that will build upon last years numbers.

Hell, if Benson can mature after a few years, this guy can too.

winterwarz

Nothing says maturity like referring to yourself as a black unicorn.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have acquired a middle of the road TE, Giants let him leave without blinking an eye, and while I am happy we have added him as an upgrade to the position, let`s just say that some of the expectations on this board are a bit off the charts.

RM22

Liked Posts:
Bennett's maturity is what has made him take that leap he did with NY last season. Mostly enthralled to see his blocking, even though he is very athletic and will help the offense with his receiving skills. Honestly, he will help in that department more but might end up with a stat line like 600 yards and 8TDs if we're lucky.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Bennett's maturity is what has made him take that leap he did with NY last season. Mostly enthralled to see his blocking, even though he is very athletic and will help the offense with his receiving skills. Honestly, he will help in that department more but might end up with a stat line like 600 yards and 8TDs if we're lucky.

I'll be glad to take that 600 yards and 8 tds with a side order of great blocking....please.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because it is impossible to have a sense of humor and do your job...

sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus on PPC

Exactly. The Black Unicorn bit has virtually nothing to do with maturity. Goof-ball, sure, but that fact that he likes to joke around isn't in and of itself a sign of a lack of maturity. Haters gonna hate. Picking him up was a huge upgrade. He's not a top 5 TE but he isn't among the worst which is what the Bears have had for the last couple of years.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Gentlemen let me be clear about Martellus Bennett to try and clear up some misconceptions ON BOTH SIDES of this debate within this thread.

Bennett is in Chicago because HE CHOSE to come to Chicago because Brandon Marshall and him are very close friends and have been for a long time. Bennett wanted to come to Chicago to play with Marshall and he chose to come here at a relatively inexpensive rate.

Bennett is also the most COMPLETE tight end in the NFL, he's both a great blocker and a very good receiver for the position. He's big, strong and very fast for his overall size. Plus unlike a lot of the other athletic TEs across the league he is a willing blocker and a VERY GOOD blocker.

He is also not in the least bit mature...if you want to call it immaturity fine...whatever....he's more of a free spirit open minded, doesn't take himself or life too seriously. He's an upbeat guy and there are few people in the NFL like Bennett. He may absolutely come across as immature to some people, but he's also going to be a really good player for the Bears.

He has been known to have shaky hands at times, sometimes he's inconsistent in the way he catches the football. He dropped like three passes in the opening game and then had probably two drops the rest of the season in 2012.

Bennett is a very good player, a major upgrade over Kellen Davis, and as equally a good receiver as Greg Olsen, but also a better blocker and a lot tougher than Olsen.

Is Bennett going to come in here and be a Top-5 TE in the NFL? Probably not, but he's going to be a good upgrade and he's not going to cost a lot of money in the first year of the contract. Year two is when Bennett's salary really jumps up.

winterwarz

Exactly. The Black Unicorn bit has virtually nothing to do with maturity. Goof-ball, sure, but that fact that he likes to joke around isn't in and of itself a sign of a lack of maturity. Haters gonna hate. Picking him up was a huge upgrade. He's not a top 5 TE but he isn't among the worst which is what the Bears have had for the last couple of years.

Relax, guy. It was a joke. I like Bennett and hope he can contribute in a big way this season. You'd think I said that unicorns aren't real based on all the backlash and hurt feelings.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gentlemen let me be clear about Martellus Bennett to try and clear up some misconceptions ON BOTH SIDES of this debate within this thread.

Bennett is in Chicago because HE CHOSE to come to Chicago because Brandon Marshall and him are very close friends and have been for a long time. Bennett wanted to come to Chicago to play with Marshall and he chose to come here at a relatively inexpensive rate.

Bennett is also the most COMPLETE tight end in the NFL, he's both a great blocker and a very good receiver for the position. He's big, strong and very fast for his overall size. Plus unlike a lot of the other athletic TEs across the league he is a willing blocker and a VERY GOOD blocker.

He is also not in the least bit mature...if you want to call it immaturity fine...whatever....he's more of a free spirit open minded, doesn't take himself or life too seriously. He's an upbeat guy and there are few people in the NFL like Bennett. He may absolutely come across as immature to some people, but he's also going to be a really good player for the Bears.

He has been known to have shaky hands at times, sometimes he's inconsistent in the way he catches the football. He dropped like three passes in the opening game and then had probably two drops the rest of the season in 2012.

Bennett is a very good player, a major upgrade over Kellen Davis, and as equally a good receiver as Greg Olsen, but also a better blocker and a lot tougher than Olsen.

Is Bennett going to come in here and be a Top-5 TE in the NFL? Probably not, but he's going to be a good upgrade and he's not going to cost a lot of money in the first year of the contract. Year two is when Bennett's salary really jumps up.

This is what I`m talking about, completely delusionary.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing says maturity like referring to yourself as a black unicorn.

Martellus-Bennett-Is-A-Black-Unicorn.jpg

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams

Gronk and Vernon Davis would have something to say about this assumption

Liked Posts:

"Bennett is in Chicago because HE CHOSE to come to Chicago because Brandon Marshall and him are very close friends and have been for a long time. Bennett wanted to come to Chicago to play with Marshall and he chose to come here at a relatively inexpensive rate."

He's here because Emery offered him the most money.

"Bennett is also the most COMPLETE tight end in the NFL"

qzeqkg.gif

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
My buddy is a diehard Cowboys fan..when they drafted MartyB my buddy challenged him to a game of Words with Friends (over Twitter I think?). Bennett accepted, and then my buddy proceeded to kick his ass.