Justin Feilds/Jalen Hurts

Collins77

Liked Posts:
So first let me say after my "Justin Feilds is going to ball out" post , I appreciate you opening anything I post afterwards. That might be worst of the year nominated. But seriously, I'm sitting here listening to the talking heads and everyone is praising Hurts and how he's the MVP so far exc. His first two years were pretty rough, they were talking about how bad his passing was. THEN, the Eagles went all in and gave him weapons and protection this year, and there's a huge difference. This year's gonna be rough, but with the cap situation we should be able put some serious weapons and protection around Feilds next year..I don't think we can give up on him til we see what he can do with some legit players. We can look at Hurts situation as good comparison. They are similar players besides the size difference.

Liked Posts:
You have it backwards. Hurts was doing really poorly until the coaching staff adjusted their playbook and play calling to fit his strengths vs their scheme.

Eventually things turned around for him and the offense started clicking. Once it became obvious he’s the guy, they then added more weapons.

Bottom line is, they need to dumb things down for Fields, and see how quickly they can build as he progresses. A Lamar Jackson year 1 playbook is probably what’s needed.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1. It's Jalen Hurts not Jaylon Hurts.

2. Jalen Hurts looked a lot of better than his stats showed last year.

3. Hurt showed flashes he can be a good QB, we're still waiting on JF to do that. Fans keep comparing him to Manning, Allen, and other QB's who struggled early but don't realize they did some things really well early on that caused the team to stick with them. Fields has yet to do that.

4. Watch Jalen Hurts last season.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I remember the first game I saw Hurts play his rookie season was his 2nd start against the Cardinals where he threw for 3 TD's, 338 yards, and ran for another 60 yards and 1 touchdown and immediately thinking that he was going to be good.

Justin Fields hasn't had a game even close to that level since he's been in the league, and it only took Hurts 2 starts.

Special talent doesn't hide for long.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Hurts had over 3000 yards last year. Will Fields hit 300 this season?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hurts had over 3000 yards last year. Will Fields hit 300 this season?

It's been three games this year and he didn't hit 300 yards.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Hurts is ahead of Fields at this point without question, but he has had one more year in the league and is in a better situation. For a guy drafted 53rd overall, however, you cannot help but be impressed. Will Fields ever get to the level that Hurts is at now? Too early to tell methinks - It's not a slam-dunk either way.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Here are Jalen Hurts' numbers from his first 4 starts of his second season (2021) --
  • 27/35 for 264 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs
  • 12/23 for 190 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs
  • 25/39 for 326 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs
  • 32/48 for 387 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs
Now, to be fair, his numbers got significantly worse as that season went along until he bounced back in his last 3 or so starts, but the point is Hurts showed a heck of a lot more at the same relative point in his career than we're seeing.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
So first let me say after my "Justin Feilds is going to ball out" post , I appreciate you opening anything I post afterwards. That might be worst of the year nominated. But seriously, I'm sitting here listening to the talking heads and everyone is praising Hurts and how he's the MVP so far exc. His first two years were pretty rough, they were talking about how bad his passing was. THEN, the Eagles went all in and gave him weapons and protection this year, and there's a huge difference. This year's gonna be rough, but with the cap situation we should be able put some serious weapons and protection around Feilds next year..I don't think we can give up on him til we see what he can do with some legit players. We can look at Hurts situation as good comparison. They are similar players besides the size difference.
Hurts only started 4 games his rookie year.. funny thing is his rookie year stats are better then Fields year 2 stats..

And blaming it the weapons when guys are wide open and he is not hitting them is pointless. If Fields was making the correct read and guys where dropping the ball or even never getting open then sure better weapons would help, but guys are open.. the WR are doing their jobs but fields is the one thats breaking down and not playing well. So we trade for a top WR that will also be open and Fields wont get the ball to him either? what's the point in that? Mooney had over 1000 yards last year.. what is he sitting under 20 yards now? the problem is Fields is playing like garbage

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Exactly,

Fields passing struggles are worse then what I have seen in all my years of watching football.

They sure are. Couple it with the whole OSU QB thing and the fact the Bears have NEVER developed a QB....this probably doesn't end like everyone hopes/wants.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, and then he didn't throw for over 200 yds for a very long stretch. Im.not trying to match their season Stat for Stat, especially since he had a better squad. My point was he was being questioned, and no one could really say he was the future in Philly. The Eagles, over the offseason built a solid team around him and he's really blown up. I understand the bad throws, Hurts also had the same criticism. I'm not making excuses for Feilds, I'm saying I heard the exact same criticisms about Hurts that we are saying about Justin.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Here are Jalen Hurts' numbers from his first 4 starts of his second season (2021) --
  • 27/35 for 264 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs
  • 12/23 for 190 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs
  • 25/39 for 326 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs
  • 32/48 for 387 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs
Now, to be fair, his numbers got significantly worse as that season went along until he bounced back in his last 3 or so starts, but the point is Hurts showed a heck of a lot more at the same relative point in his career than we're seeing.
A lot of those numbers early last year were racking up numbers in garbage time. But I'm also not sure fields would rack up garbage time stats how he is playing right now

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, and then he didn't throw for over 200 yds for a very long stretch. Im.not trying to match their season Stat for Stat, especially since he had a better squad. My point was he was being questioned, and no one could really say he was the future in Philly. The Eagles, over the offseason built a solid team around him and he's really blown up. I understand the bad throws, Hurts also had the same criticism. I'm not making excuses for Feilds, I'm saying I heard the exact same criticisms about Hurts that we are saying about Justin.

No really. Fields is pretty bad at everything, Jalen Hurts had a good deep ball, decent accuracy, demonstrated he could read a defense. Fields hasn't shown he can do any of those things at all sadly.

That's like saying one more year and David Foles would of been Bears franchise QB. You guys need to stop it everyone struggle isn't the same.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
A lot of those numbers early last year were racking up numbers in garbage time. But I'm also not sure fields would rack up garbage time stats how he is playing right now
Both good points. That is still, at least to me, why the second half play calling and the last drive of the Green Bay game were so concerning. Not sure we could rack up easy garbage time passing numbers even if we wanted to.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

3. Hurt showed flashes he can be a good QB, we're still waiting on JF to do that. Fans keep comparing him to Manning, Allen, and other QB's who struggled early but don't realize they did some things really well early on that caused the team to stick with them. Fields has yet to do that.

Even with everything you said, media and fans were all screaming that hurts was a bust up until this year.

You can't rewrite that history no matter how bad you want to.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Even with everything you said, media and fans were all screaming that hurts was a bust up until this year.

You can't rewrite that history no matter how bad you want to.

Nobody is rewriting anything Hurts showed promise, Fields hasn't.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Please tell me what Steve Young and John Elway did “really well” early that showed flashes they could be good. I’d love for you to point out what I don’t “realize.”