Justin Fields breakdown

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All because he didn't have to make multiple progressions at Ohio State, does it mean you stare down one guy like he does. You pretend to scan the field look off defenders, and keep an eye on your first read with peripheral vision. It's a bad habit to stare guys down regardless of the gameplan.

and Top 5 QB?!?! Lol...he looks to be barely top 5 in his draft class after scouts have turned on the tape. He would be the most athletic QB we ever had by a longshot, but aside from that I don't see him having that much more potential as a passer.

He’s capable. Here’s a 3rd read pass from go to TE crosser to post...

ThankfulMediumGermanpinscher-size_restricted.gif

PoliteCluelessCuckoo-size_restricted.gif

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I hope he doesn't fall to the Lions. Even if they don't pick him, they could get a haul of picks in a trade down.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
@vabearsfan15

Not to be too snarky, but what do you know about Fields’ game outside of the gifs in this thread?

A quick google search brings up a couple guys who have really gone out of their way to debunk the “one read” narrative.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
He’s capable. Here’s a 3rd read pass from go to TE crosser to post...

ThankfulMediumGermanpinscher-size_restricted.gif

PoliteCluelessCuckoo-size_restricted.gif

Ok cool, he made a throw on his 2nd read in which everything was kept in the center of the field. Not really proof he scans the whole field and goes through his progression.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
@vabearsfan15

Not to be too snarky, but what do you know about Fields’ game outside of the gifs in this thread?

A quick google search brings up a couple guys who have really gone out of their way to debunk the “one read” narrative.

I'm a casual football fan. I'm simply posturing. I'm not going to act like I have any credentials. Its just speculation from watching Ohio State a few times and coming away more impressed with OSU as athletes and Ryan Day as a coach.

But concerning those articles One isn't even worth reading considering they are making it about race. in general you can tell both have preconceived notions before they even turned on the tape. They are missing the point. Im sure Fields has some plays where he makes a couple reads, but it has become consistently noticable that he locks in on one guy alot and wants to make that one throw. This is where you get alot of forced throws, unnecessary sacks, and defenses that bait you into thinking you have an easy option.

Sorry, but I haven't been a Fields fan for a while. Followed his recruitment a bit in HS. Just never saw someone who is very instinctive.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'm a casual football fan. I'm simply posturing. I'm not going to act like I have any credentials. Its just speculation from watching Ohio State a few times and coming away more impressed with OSU as athletes and Ryan Day as a coach.

But concerning those articles One isn't even worth reading considering they are making it about race. in general you can tell both have preconceived notions before they even turned on the tape. They are missing the point. Im sure Fields has some plays where he makes a couple reads, but it has become consistently noticable that he locks in on one guy alot and wants to make that one throw. This is where you get alot of forced throws, unnecessary sacks, and defenses that bait you into thinking you have an easy option.

Sorry, but I haven't been a Fields fan for a while. Followed his recruitment a bit in HS. Just never saw someone who is very instinctive.
The reality is, most college QBs do that. Why? Because usually the talent they are throwing to and/or the scheme gets that one guy open more often than not. So there’s no need to go through reads unnecessarily. It’s just a talented QB playing within the offense.

That’s why it’s so hard to grade college QBs. Almost none of the top guys had to do everything they will need to do in the pros on a consistent basis, so you are trying to project if they actually can learn/do it or not.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I got no beef with you saying this. And this is mostly true and what I (and others) have seen. That being said, I think this is where you mesh the tape with the stats and see, "Damn, despite all this, dude completed nearly 70% of his passes the last 2 years (over 70 in 2020)". Combine that with the fact that he doesn't really turn the ball over despite locking onto receivers (9 INTs in 618 pass attempts) with 8 of those INTs in 3 games. Add the fact that he has elite athleticism and arm strength, and I think you have a pretty good QB prospect. Not flawless by any means, but I think if you can get him processing a little quicker, he can be a star once you throw in all the other tools. Even if you can't get him any quicker, I think he's accurate enough and athletic enough to succeed despite that. Obviously, not the next Tom Brady success, but guys like Jared Goff and Kyler Murray don't read the field all that well. You'd hate to give up a ton of picks for that, but it's probably worth the risk if you're a team like the Bears, IMO

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Fields to me is the most intriguing prospect of the 5 top QBs. I'm not saying he's the best, but the one where I'll be really curious to see where he lands.

The film is mixed with a wide range of ups and downs. Some of the highlights make you think he's a stud. Some of the lowlights make you think he's a dud. Really interested to see where he'll go, how high he'll be drafted and what's the teams plan for him. I could see him being one of those players where landing in the right 'situation' will be critical in his overall pro success.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I just read the initial analysis now. I didn't bother before because I did not think there was any realistic chance that the Bears would be in a position to draft Fields. Crazy.