1. Chicago Blackhawks

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I saw this tweet on Reddit this am and knew it would get turned into an article.

Other fun facts. Those 19 were only 7% of all passing attempts (270).

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
  • Haha
Reactions: Myk

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sample size too small. Because they weren't called very often defenses may have been caught off guard.

This is like when ppl hyped up Mitch's league leading QBR at one point. Ppl just looking for ANY positive because Justin was statistically one of the worst starting QBs in the league last year.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Sample size too small. Because they weren't called very often defenses may have been caught off guard.

This is like when ppl hyped up Mitch's league leading QBR at one point. Ppl just looking for ANY positive because Justin was statistically one of the worst starting QBs in the league last year.
What this demonstrates is that when Fields has time to read only half the field, he is more comfortable. Typical rookie syndrome of not being comfortable in the pocket or processing information. But when he can buy time using his athleticism, and there is less of a field to scan, he can succeed. But ofcourse, defenses can adjust and likely would have if he did this all the time.

2nd year, he needs to get better in the pocket while keeping this attribute as well.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To play devils advocate, Nagys lack of usage may be the reason he succeeded (not that I am arguing Nagy planned that).
Defenses didnt read it right because it is not on tape, and they get away with a play.

That rating will come down if rollouts are used more, if only because defense will have a plan to defend it and a linebacker with an eye out.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
What this demonstrates is that when Fields has time to read only half the field, he is more comfortable. Typical rookie syndrome of not being comfortable in the pocket or processing information. But when he can buy time using his athleticism, and there is less of a field to scan, he can succeed. But ofcourse, defenses can adjust and likely would have if he did this all the time.

2nd year, he needs to get better in the pocket while keeping this attribute as well.
Agree about it being easier for rookies...but remember this EXACT thing was said about Mitch. He looks good rolling out. We need to roll out more. He only has to scan half the field...etc.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Agree about it being easier for rookies...but remember this EXACT thing was said about Mitch. He looks good rolling out. We need to roll out more. He only has to scan half the field...etc.
And I would say that Fields struggled just as much as a rookie if not more. No doubt about it.

We have to hope that his year 1 to 2 improvement is better than Mitch's. Because if it's not, we likely are going to be looking for a new QB.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
And Nagy didn’t do that

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
To play devils advocate, Nagys lack of usage may be the reason he succeeded (not that I am arguing Nagy planned that).
Defenses didnt read it right because it is not on tape, and they get away with a play.

That rating will come down if rollouts are used more, if only because defense will have a plan to defend it and a linebacker with an eye out.

I mean, there are systems that have had levels of success around designed rollouts. Minnesota currently runs one, and I also think of the Shannahan offenses of the 90s.

If you have a strong run game, or at least get the defense to cheat to play the run, there really isn't a way to "shut down all rollouts" like I've heard some incredibly stupid pundits could suggest might happen. Sure, some will always not work out, but you can't stop them all so long as you get the defense to respect the run - that's why play action is so damaging.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw this tweet on Reddit this am and knew it would get turned into an article.

Other fun facts. Those 19 were only 7% of all passing attempts (270).
everyone knows that Fields is good on roll outs, but, if he doesn't improve his play from the pocket, it will be tough for him to reach elite level

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Why would Pace and Nagy draft Fields if Nagy wasn't willing to call plays for Fields? I think we know the whys.

Same reason Nagy came here loving Trubisky, was able to win with Trubisky, then he wasn't, then he was, then he wasn't, then he hated Trubisky, then he had always hated Trubisky.
Nagy is nothing but a BS artist. Since he impresses nobody else he makes up for it by impressing himself.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He also has a 102 passer rating on play action so it is entirely consistent with what we would expect given his skill set.

Mitch had a high QBR largely because in 2018 he was the most effective QB in terms of scrambling for first downs on key downs particularly 3rd down. Then he injured his shoulder and he stopped scrambling as much as well as teams adjusted and his QBR plummmeted.

So his QBR was well deserved at the time and the fact it sucked later on can be traced to a very specific change in his style of play.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Sure it will come down but it is high enough that it regressing some will still likeky lead to a positive result. As I noted earlier his passer rating on play action is 102. He ranked 26th in play action percentage at 23.6%. Tua was first with 43%, Lamar 2nd at 35% and Josh Allen 3rd at 34%.

So if you can get his play action and designed rollouts to 35-40% of pass plays then that improves his success quite a bit.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure it is a large enough sample size to get too excited for it, as has been said, if they do it more often, then team will prepare for it as well.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
And yet Nagy never utilized it with him either. Nagy was all about ignoring their athletic talents and using their least effective and most difficult aspects of being a QB with his young talent and turning Mitch and Fields into Joe Flacco.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
So, they used Trubisky wrong too? What a shock.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts: