Justin Fields, I'm giving up on you

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fields is just so slow at diagnosing and throwing. It's making a bad offense worse. He's an incredible athlete, but time and time again he.drops back and just doesn't seem to have any idea what he's looking at. The o-line was over matched tonight but this has been a problem all season. If you take away Fields first read he's basically lost. You cannot wait for receivers to be open. He has to speed everything up. Even on screens and quick throws, it's like he's moving in slow motion.

The Bears have lots of problems but this is not a great QB being held back by a bad supporting cast. He's just a bad QB. Tough, super athletic but bad at all the things that matter when it comes to being a quality NFL quarterback.
You don’t know what he’s looking at without seeing the all 22. The few times they showed the tv angle from behind the LOS every WR was blanketed. Looking forward to an @Adipost breakdown

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
You don’t know what he’s looking at without seeing the all 22. The few times they showed the tv angle from behind the LOS every WR was blanketed. Looking forward to an @Adipost breakdown

I'm talking about the whole season. He's been doing it all season other than the second half last Sunday. If guys are covered, throw it away. He is taking/running into way to many sacks. His style of play is rarely successful. The best quarterbacks get the ball out. Fields is way to slow.

Bottom line, the passing game is historically bad. That only happens when the quarterback is historically bad. We're not talking about a mediocre passing game. It's one of the worst passing games in the last 40+ years. That happens when you have a bad quarterback and a bad supporting cast. Maybe he will turn it around. It's all mental. But right now, Justin Fields is a bad quarterback on a bad team.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm talking about the whole season. He's been doing it all season other than the second half last Sunday. If guys are covered, throw it away. He is taking/running into way to many sacks. His style of play is rarely successful. The best quarterbacks get the ball out. Fields is way to slow.

Bottom line, the passing game is historically bad. That only happens when the quarterback is historically bad. We're not talking about a mediocre passing game. It's one of the worst passing games in the last 40+ years. That happens when you have a bad quarterback and a bad supporting cast. Maybe he will turn it around. It's all mental. But right now, Justin Fields is a bad quarterback on a bad team.
I don’t have a problem with this assessment. The OL was bad last night and Fields was a bit rattled it seemed to me. And he missed some guys early. Also had some nice throws. When there’s pressure from IOL and no pocket, pretty tough to do what you’re saying he should do. Or Getsy needs to get more quick throws (like the screen to VJJ) to get him in a rhythm. OL did ok in MN and Fields looked pretty good. The WRs are not helping the situation at all. Fields has faults but it’s hardly all on him and “bad quarterbacking”

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There were several guys open in plays where they showed the all 22 angle, one where he took a sack on the first drive and one where he threw over the top to Mooney with an uncovered shallow cross that would have gone for 30 yards. There were also a few plays where he didn't have anyone open.

He was really bad in the first half. Thought the OL did alright in the first half and Fields was just bad. The miss for the TD to Griffin was about as bad as an NFL pass can be. The helmet ball is unacceptable.

He played much, much better in the second half, and the rest of the offense fell apart. OL had probably its worst pass blocking half of the season, the drops obviously. I thought the pass interference on Pettis in the endzone was clear, certainly worse than either of the PI calls on Bears. Mooney, WTF.

Was terrible because the Bears really completely outplayed WAS, should have won by two TDs or more. This was one of the overall worst NFL games I can remember watching. A shitshow.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Fields is just so slow at diagnosing and throwing. It's making a bad offense worse. He's an incredible athlete, but time and time again he.drops back and just doesn't seem to have any idea what he's looking at. The o-line was over matched tonight but this has been a problem all season. If you take away Fields first read he's basically lost. You cannot wait for receivers to be open. He has to speed everything up. Even on screens and quick throws, it's like he's moving in slow motion.

The Bears have lots of problems but this is not a great QB being held back by a bad supporting cast. He's just a bad QB. Tough, super athletic but bad at all the things that matter when it comes to being a quality NFL quarterback.
Very accurate assessment.

The one announcer in last nights game (Kirk) actually did a good job of showing the missed opportunities and the lack of when a receiver is actually open in the NFL.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
There were several guys open in plays where they showed the all 22 angle, one where he took a sack on the first drive and one where he threw over the top to Mooney with an uncovered shallow cross that would have gone for 30 yards. There were also a few plays where he didn't have anyone open.

He was really bad in the first half. Thought the OL did alright in the first half and Fields was just bad. The miss for the TD to Griffin was about as bad as an NFL pass can be. The helmet ball is unacceptable.

He played much, much better in the second half, and the rest of the offense fell apart. OL had probably its worst pass blocking half of the season, the drops obviously. I thought the pass interference on Pettis in the endzone was clear, certainly worse than either of the PI calls on Bears. Mooney, WTF.

Was terrible because the Bears really completely outplayed WAS, should have won by two TDs or more. This was one of the overall worst NFL games I can remember watching. A shitshow.
The helmet ball is known as a fluke play to analytic statisticians. Not surprised you don’t know that.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I call it throwing the ball into a player's helmet who is five yards away.
That’s great and no one gives a shit what you call it. Sorry not sorry dip shit

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That’s great and no one gives a shit what you call it. Sorry not sorry dip shit
Woah, still drunk from last night or are you on your period?

There is no excuse for hitting a DL in the helmet from five yards away, regardless of what some "analyst" writing from Finland or Scotland calls it.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Woah, still drunk from last night or are you on your period?

There is no excuse for hitting a DL in the helmet from five yards away, regardless of what some "analyst" writing from Finland or Scotland calls it.

Rodgers just did the same thing dipshit. Not sure why Finland or Scotland matter to you here. You do realize every NFL team uses analytics right? (Don’t answer that as someone that lacks knowledge like you wouldn’t know)

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Rodgers just did the same thing dipshit. Not sure why Finland or Scotland matter to you here. You do realize every NFL team uses analytics right? (Don’t answer that as someone that lacks knowledge like you wouldn’t know)
It's also bad when Rodgers does it. Finland and Scotland are where the PFF analytics people are from. You think Fields himself looks at that throw on film today and says 'gosh, I'm glad that is a fluke play, no problem?' Only a mentally disabled person would think that.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's also bad when Rodgers does it. Finland and Scotland are where the PFF analytics people are from. You think Fields himself looks at that throw on film today and says 'gosh, I'm glad that is a fluke play, no problem?' Only a mentally disabled person would think that.
They don’t look at it as a bad throw. They look at as it a fluke play. But you wouldn’t know this because as always, you don’t know what the fuck your talking about. Not surprised since your a fucking reetard

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They don’t look at it as a bad throw. They look at as it a fluke play. But you wouldn’t know this because as always, you don’t know what the fuck your talking about. Not surprised since your a fucking reetard
It was a bad throw, because it hit a defensive lineman squarely in the helmet. And he was about five yards away from Fields. Anyone can see this, including Fields and the coaches.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The helmet ball is known as a fluke play to analytic statisticians. Not surprised you don’t know that.
He seems to have a lot of balls batted down. (Or hits a helmet in this case) I’m not sure what the issue is? Release point low? Just doesn’t see it? It’s not a one off thing… it’s been an all year issue.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He seems to have a lot of balls batted down. (Or hits a helmet in this case) I’m not sure what the issue is? Release point low? Just doesn’t see it? It’s not a one off thing… it’s been an all year issue.
Not his fault, all just fluke plays. Can't blame anyone, it's just luck.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

He doesn’t lead the league in it and he’s about league average in this category, so no, not a major issue. Sorry

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I have to wonder if it's on the oline a bit. If they know the ball is suppose to come out quick they are suppose to get hands on the DL to prevent them from jumping to swat the ball.

It seems the amount of batted balls also leads to lob throws to the outside from fields that might be better on a line. Like the final throw to Mooney. Don't get me wrong, Mooney has to catch that ball, but had fields got that ball out on a line to the outside, Mooney doesn't even have a defender touching him. I do wonder if fields threw it up high to avoid it getting batted down.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He doesn’t lead the league in it and he’s about league average in this category, so no, not a major issue. Sorry

I mean I’m not freaking out over it but it’s something I’ve definitely noticed. And not sure about the stats but are we talking per pass attempt or total? Because I’d think the total stat would be skewed since they throw so little. Anyways… who cares? Its definitely not worth a fight.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would not give up on Fields just yet. There are too many flashes he has shown. Yes, he gets uncomfortable in the pocket, yes he needs to throw with better anticipation, yes he needs to make quicker decisions. But why not give him all of this season and next season with more talent around him to see if he can learn and grow? If you don't see the potential then you are dense.