Justin Fields' Near Historically Bad Rookie Season (since 2006) as measured by QBR. The Reasons Why

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This fan base is fucked in the head on qb discussion.
It feels like I can't read through a single thread on the subject without a white knighter getting stupid towards other posters.

Thought I might hit up the jets message board and see how that shitshow is playing out.
Shocked to see the white knights are actually capable of admitting Wilson has a ton of work to do, and *gasp* they can acknowledge that fact even though the franchise is a dumpster fire from players to coaches to front office.

I checked in here expecting a bloodbath of ccs proportions but was shocked to see jets fans (who knew there was such a thing) have learned how to discuss terrible qb play.
Perhaps it is experience after Sanchez, darnold, wilson, and whatever other flops they have had to deal with.

Are you suggesting that there are people here that think Fields is a complete QB already, and that people think the only issue is the coach/team around him? I don't think that's the case, although the naysayers will say that over and over again because it fits their narrative.

No one is saying that Fields is perfect. He has issues that he needs to work on. But if you're even remotely objective about him as a rookie QB, he's not terrible. He's not having a historically bad season. He's playing like a rookie in a terrible offense, and at times showing flashes. He's our best offensive player outside of David Montgomery.

The big hope isn't really with him, it's with this organization finally taking their head out of their ass, cleaning house, and hiring the right people.

Tee

Beast Mode
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Houston Cougars
Things going against Fields: Matt Nagy gave him zero first string reps in training camp. Matt Nagy forces HIS scheme, doesn't adapt it to the player's strength, or what the defense is trying to do. Matt Nagy/Ryan Pace turned Allen Robinson from a dominating WR to a criminally underused and then checked out guy waiting for another team/season. Ryan Pace: Here's a bottom of the barrel offensive line, where you'll run for your life and have one clean pocket a game, go get 'em. Matt Nagy: Run these pocket passing plays, even though the line can't block for them. Matt Nagy: run these plays the defense (and fans for that matter) see's coming from a mile away. Ryan Pace: Here's Cold Cement: He can't get open or catch, but he sure is from Notre Dame. Ryan Pace: Here's Darnell Mooney, and a bunch of fast guys who can't run routes or catch footballs. Matt Nagy/receivers: Here's the plays/guys that the DB's know are coming/wear DB's like itchy, tight fitting sweaters. Matt Nagy: even though the running game is a strength, play action off of the run is forbidden. Matt Nagy: Never met a quarterback he couldn't coach up to fail in HIS offense. Fields: Tries to do too much, makes rookie mistakes, poor ball security, questionable mechanics.

Things going for Fields: Has desire/work ethic/attitude/big time college experience/natural leadership qualities/talent/2021 NFL season to build on.

It's been near historically bad, but if Justin was in New England, and Mac Jones was in Chicago, Fields would have superior numbers and Jones would be in the hospital, or playing behind Andy Dalton. All that needs to happen...is the Bears need to, at minimum, replace Pace and Nagy with a competent GM and head coach. I know that's asking for a miracle because it's the Bears.
Man you lost me at like the 6th line.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
All stats are stupid. If you want to evaluate a player watch them. Fields talent is obvious. He's on a bad team. He's A rookie. At times he's been bad. He's flashed elite plamaking ability both as a passer and runner. What gives me hope is his attitude, intelligence and bearing. Mitch always looked scared. Fields never looks scared.

Will he pan out? No one knows. Some made up convoluted stat from ESPN of all places changes nothing. If you can't see Fields' upside you're blind. Wether he reaches it or not is literally unknowable.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I just hope all the assholes bashing on Fields now can admit they were dumbasses when he starts balling out under a competent coach in a competent NFL level offense.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bears fans truly do not even deserve a good QB

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
They will not. It will be “I always said he could be good” bs. Luckily, we have receipts
Just like if he struggles next year it will be, "He's learning a new system," "They haven't gelled yet," bullshit.

Look how long it took for the fan base to admit INTs were an issue with Cutler.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Just like if he struggles next year it will be, "He's learning a new system," "They haven't gelled yet," bullshit.

Look how long it took for the fan base to admit INTs were an issue with Cutler.
dug pretty far up your ass to pull that one out.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
dug pretty far up your ass to pull that one out.
Not at all.

"He's learning a new system," "It's his 2nd rookie year," "It's going to take time for him to be unfucked because of Nagy." etc.

We'll hear all of these next year.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not at all.

"He's learning a new system," "It's his 2nd rookie year," "It's going to take time for him to be unfucked because of Nagy." etc.

I think we gotta see him smash some teams next year. It’s probably won’t be consistent tho. Seems a lot of young QBs struggle - Mahomes has looked like garbage in spurts this year. It happens

This year has been good for him. He has seen significant snaps and should know exactly what he needs to work on. That’s all I personally wanted for him and why I pushed for him to start. The rest is up to him ??‍♂️

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
the expectations were low before Fields was even drafted

they were low with Dalton

This isnt basketball where one player is going to turn you from a bad team to a great one
Yeah I don't get the this odd narrative that somehow this was a playoff bound team. It's not like they beat or were even in the game last year against the Aints.

If anything, this was the nail in Nagy's Bears coffin

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Not at all.

"He's learning a new system" wouldn't be an excuse, it would be a fact. You do realize that the rookie quarterbacks that were drafted into crap systems are ALL struggling, right?

I expect him to be much improved next season. It's sure to be an easier defensive schedule. I think we got the NFC East and the AFC East. Also, Fields will have a FULL offseason with the 1's like he should have this season. He's learning on the job against the toughest defensive schedule in the league behind turnstile lineman and a clown head coach.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
This mfer, in his press conference Tuesday I think, was talking about how Justin is holding teammates accountable at practice. Running laps for penalties etc. like it was a new thing.. like why hasn’t HE been doing this the entire time.

this is one of the worst coached bears teams I can remember.

Liked Posts:
Not at all.

So hear me out and try to think about this for a second.

Say people do say all those things. And let’s even say they’re wrong and it’s all excuses.

So here’s my questions:

What’s your point? What’s gonna happen? What difference will it make?

Dude you’re fixated on what people might say in the future….there’s gotta be a name for whatever the fuck psychological disorder you got.

Not healthy, you should seriously consider not reading these forums if it bothers you so much.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
This mfer, in his press conference Tuesday I think, was talking about how Justin is holding teammates accountable at practice. Running laps for penalties etc. like it was a new thing.. like why hasn’t HE been doing this the entire time.

this is one of the worst coached bears teams I can remember.
It was pretty apparent(for this year anyway) that there'd be little accountability when Eddie Jax gave little effort on that TD pass against the Rams. And Nagy is asking him if he prefers hot or honey butter on his buns on the sideline.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
So hear me out and try to think about this for a second.

Say people do say all those things. And let’s even say they’re wrong and it’s all excuses.

So here’s my questions:

What’s your point? What’s gonna happen? What difference will it make?

Dude you’re fixated on what people might say in the future….there’s gotta be a name for whatever the fuck psychological disorder you got.

Not healthy, you should seriously consider not reading these forums if it bothers you so much.
What difference did it make that you've been getting defensive over ppl commenting on Fields' play for weeks?

None...because he still has been bad.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked Posts:
What difference did it make that you've been getting defensive over ppl commenting on Fields' play for weeks?

None...because he still has been bad.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I’m debating a player’s performance and ability though.

You’re getting emotional on what people might say one day in the future. Same way you keep harping about how some people said some other things in the past. Really has nothing to do with football, it’s oddly personal and weird.

You sound like a bitter old man yelling at the proverbial cloud.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
When ever I see someone refer to ESPN's silly QBR, I just think 'wow, they're stupid.'