Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So by picking Justin Fields, we guaranteed at least 2 more years of Kirk Cousins starting in MINN and then maybe a few more years of realizing Kellen Mond sucks and not having to face JFF twice a year for 15 yrs.

That might have been worth the extra 1st all by itself

Vikings alter Kirk Cousins succession plan after losing out on Justin Fields​

play
5:00 AM CT
  • i

Courtney CroninESPN Staff Writer
MINNEAPOLIS -- Kellen Mond is not threatening Kirk Cousins for his job right now.
Mond, the Texas A&M quarterback selected by the Minnesota Vikings two picks into the third round on Friday, is nowhere near ready to lead an NFL offense let alone challenge an established veteran for playing time.
But this move -- the first time the Vikings ever drafted a quarterback in the third round and the highest draft pick they’ve spent at the position since Teddy Bridgewater in 2013 -- is a statement.
As the Vikings stacked their board and evaluated players and scenarios in draft meetings, one topic kept surfacing. Drafting a quarterback wasn’t the team’s most pressing need, but this offseason Minnesota began considering a plan for life after Cousins.

2021 NFL draft coverage​

nfl_kiper-mcshay-mock-draft-debate_16x9_608x342.jpg

Round 1: Kiper | McShay | NFL Nation
Scouting reports | More draft coverage
The 32-year-old Cousins is under contract through the 2022 season and due $56 million over the next two years. The cost for his services is manageable this season with his $21 million base salary. It’s next year where things get exorbitantly expensive. Cousins’ $35 million base salary for 2022, which has already been fully guaranteed, comes with a $45 million cap hit, the second-highest among all NFL players that season.
That astronomical price tag and Cousins’ level of play, which has been outstanding at times and suspect in others, put the Vikings in a spot to consider their longer-term options.
The Vikings came away with "one of the top players on our board," according to general manager Rick Spielman when they drafted Mond 66th overall. And the circumstances for the rookie couldn’t have worked out better.
Mond, who many considered the next best to the top five quarterbacks in the draft, has been afforded time to develop in the Vikings’ offense should he eventually be in position to take over for Cousins.
Cousins doesn’t have much to worry about right now. Mond is a backup quarterback. He is not Ohio State’s Justin Fields, who, had things panned out differently, would have put Cousins on borrowed time as the true heir apparent in Minnesota.
According to multiple sources, a Vikings coach reached out to Cousins in the lead-up to the draft to let him know Minnesota was considering taking a quarterback at some point in the draft. It wasn't to warn him that his job was in jeopardy or that he was being immediately replaced. It was a simple heads-up so Cousins wouldn’t be blindsided.
The Vikings will see if Kellen Mond can develop into a legitimate candidate to take over for Kirk Cousins someday. Marta Lavandier/AP Photo
On Thursday, Spielman said the Vikings tried to trade up from their position at No. 14 but declined to specify which player they were targeting. Sources told ESPN that Minnesota had an eye on Northwestern offensive tackle Rashawn Slater and tried to move up to land him before he went to the Los Angeles Chargers at 13.
The Vikings were also preparing to take Fields given the way the board was falling.
As Minnesota watched Carolina and Denver pass on Fields at Nos. 8 and 9, their distant dream suddenly felt like it could become a reality. With Vikings ownership in the main draft room, front office personnel worked the phones and tried to see where they might have to move up to land Fields.
At No. 10, the Dallas Cowboys swapped with their division rival Philadelphia Eagles, who took wide receiver DeVonta Smith. The Vikings were three picks away from closing in on Fields when the Chicago Bears dealt their No. 20 pick along with No. 164 and their 2022 first- and fourth-round picks to the New York Giants to move up nine spots to draft Fields, a potential franchise-saving quarterback.
The Vikings were stunned, and this one really stung. They wanted one of the top quarterbacks, but they weren't desperate enough to give up that kind of draft capital for a player who would be sitting behind Cousins for at least a year.

2021 Free Agency | Vikings​

i
What you need to know about the Minnesota Vikings:
Vikings' free-agent signings »
Tracker: Latest signings and news »
Grading big moves » | Top 100 FAs »
Free-agency coverage » | More NFL »
But Fields was the guy for Minnesota, and the team was prepared to take him if he had been there at No. 14 and begin a process of shifting course.

Had that happened, the Vikings would have had an unquestioned succession plan for Cousins in place. Aside from Russell Wilson and Nick Foles, only a handful of third-round quarterbacks in the last 10 years have done much as starters. The Vikings took a flier on Mond, who very well could develop into exactly what they’re looking for and allow them to move on from Cousins in two years.
If Cousins’ level of play in 2021 and 2022 warrants a new contact, he could stick around in Minnesota. The idea of a having a Plan B at quarterback has little to do with Cousins’ age or durability. It’s the fact that he could reach a $40 million contract the way his price tag -- and the quarterback market -- keeps escalating. The Vikings have to ask themselves whether they want to pay that price or find a younger, less expensive talent at the position and build their roster a different way.
Spielman may not have gotten his top quarterback choice, but by selecting Mond in the third round, he didn’t cement himself to Cousins either and began putting a potential contingency plan in place for the future.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The Vikings were stunned, and this one really stung. They wanted one of the top quarterbacks, but they weren't desperate enough to give up that kind of draft capital for a player who would be sitting behind Cousins for at least a year.

This was my favorite part! Don’t these mothefuckers play spades? Always cut heavy! Go big or go home.

I am still smiling about this pick.
Can anyone imagine the meltdown on this board had Minnesota gotten Fields? Yo, there’s a universe where millions of bears fans are still wailing in pain. Instead, it is the Vikings hurting.

How sweet it is.

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Bears will beat out the Vikings to win the division after Aaron either sits out or is traded

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
how the fuck were the vikings "stunned" the bears moved up for fields?

bears calling every fuckin team from 4 to 14 tryna trade. bout the worst kept secret of this draft

they for sure could have beat the bears out on a trade with the giants. fucking tards

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Grabbing Mond at the top of the 3rd is solid value and there's no pressure for him to have to come in and play now. It's a good pick for them after not being able to get the man, the myth, the legend, Chicago's own: Ronnie Fields.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
By not trading up, Vikings give up an early 3rd round pick. :p

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
its already a great offseason with the bears getting fields, if rodgers gets traded too? this will be the best offseason hands down
Best case scenario - Rodgers just retires. Leave the Packers with nothing other than cap space. Would really be the cherry on top of the offseason.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Field's has a knack for the longball if he plays half the year mooney might break 1K

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Grabbing Mond at the top of the 3rd is solid value and there's no pressure for him to have to come in and play now. It's a good pick for them after not being able to get the man, the myth, the legend, Chicago's own: Ronnie Fields.
lower round QBs aren't value.....they general don't make it as impact players...

You either get a top QB or you're on the outside looking in.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Field's has a knack for the longball if he plays half the year mooney might break 1K

Right?!?

Fields goes touchdown to check down.

He’ll probably hit Mooney twice a game, in stride, running deep.

I can’t wait for the first time he does it.

Trubs and Foles would always miss the wide open Miller or Money when they had a step and throw a jumper like it’s the 1990’s Alvin Haprper over there!

Mooney is going to flourish!

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I'm happy enough with an disgruntled Aaron and the talk of Jordan Love being an underwhelming prospect.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

But at 14 it was only a 200 pt draft value difference to move up to 10. They were making calls, and Dallas certainly would rather not have traded in division. Can you imagine how you would feel as a Bears fan if they had passed on Fields for a swap of 1sts and an extra 3rd rd pick and maybe an additional 5th, and then ending up with Kellen Mond? On top of that Rashan Slater the OT they wanted went the pick just before theirs.

:smug2:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Best case scenario - Rodgers just retires. Leave the Packers with nothing other than cap space. Would really be the cherry on top of the offseason.
Then Love plays at like a Goff level and earns a big new contract, but actually sucks really bad

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
how the fuck were the vikings "stunned" the bears moved up for fields?

bears calling every fuckin team from 4 to 14 tryna trade. bout the worst kept secret of this draft

they for sure could have beat the bears out on a trade with the giants. fucking tards
"They wanted one of the top quarterbacks"

Yet Mac Jones was available when the Vikings picked at 14.

I guess the Vikings did not fall for the Mac Jones talk.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Right?!?

Fields goes touchdown to check down.

He’ll probably hit Mooney twice a game, in stride, running deep.

I can’t wait for the first time he does it.

Trubs and Foles would always miss the wide open Miller or Money when they had a step and throw a jumper like it’s the 1990’s Alvin Haprper over there!

Mooney is going to flourish!
Trubs consistently missed those receivers, foles was usually on his back before he could try to get the ball off to those receivers deep.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"They wanted one of the top quarterbacks"

Yet Mac Jones was available when the Vikings picked at 14.

I guess the Vikings did not fall for the Mac Jones talk.

that team is stupid

Their current regime is just like bears have been for decades - a qb away from dominating. And they half ass their effort to get Fields and pass on Jones. And why? Cause Cousins contract? If I was a Vikes fan, I would be livid.