Justin Fields

rawdawg

So far better than any QB out of that program since? The arm is important, I was more curious about his ability in the pocket and ability to move inside and escape etc etc but if he is the athlete you say he is then there shouldn't be problems. Today's NFL as you probably know will eat players alive if they don't have that clock inside their head at the QB position.

I pushed you for answers because it's interesting that some folk on here (whether they are knowledgeable or not) seem to have an issue with him and I wondered if it was because he is fortunate because of the system he plays in and the quality of those around him, or the fact he is able to (as you have confirmed) able to raise the game of those around him because he has the talent to do so.

Why are people so narky when it comes to having conversation when someone asks questions? It's so weird.

Thanks for taking the time out to answer, it's okay though, I was just posing questions to those In The Know (ITK)
I don't have any issues answering questions.

The important thing that people need to realize (and I see comments in this thread) is that you scout the player, not the helmet. Just because Ohio St QBs haven't done much in the NFL doesn't mean that Fields won't. Like guy above mentioned, no Jeff Tedford QBs made it until Aaron Rodgers. No Air Raid QBs made it til Mahomes. No sub 6' QBs made it til Wilson and Kyler.

As for Fields in the pocket, he will stand in and take a hit. He's one of the rare QBs that can really run but does so more as a last resort than running at the first sign of danger. Now he did do that early last year, but in the Indiana game, he ran when the blitz was just too overwhelming to stay and there was space in front of him. He does well to keep his eyes downfield and throwing the ball is his first option.

The top QBs in the league are dynamic athletes (Mahomes, Wilson, Kyler, Lamar, Herbert). Fields fits right in with those guys athletically (not as fast as Kyler and Lamar). But he has better size than all but Herbert. He has a better arm than all but Mahomes. He sees the field really well, just needs consistency reading coverages and identifying blitzers a little quicker. He'd be the #1 pick in the draft every year but this one and probably last year. But I would have picked him over Mayfield/Darnold, Trubisky/Mahomes, Goff/Wentz if they were all prospects at the same time.

DB012031

no, overraction is people who think he will be a good NFL QB. OSU QB's don't make it in the NFL
I usually agree with this statement about Ohio State QB's but Fields is the exception to that. His size, strength, athleticism and decision making set him apart from most of the Ohio State QB's. His closest comparison is probably Tyrell Pryor but Pryor never had that level of arm talent (also keep in mind Pryor turned out to have some solid years as a WR in the league).

Fields will be gone by the 5th pick, at the latest. Also, QB's are allowed to have a bad game and BTW Indiana is REALLY good this year.

Fields actually has better stats than Trevor Lawrence and plays in a tougher conference (top to bottom). Fields leads Lawrence in Yards per attempt, completion %, TD to INT ratio. You could actually make the argument Fields maybe a better player by the numbers...

Mdbearz

Right now there are 16 teams with 4 or fewer wins. Even if we manage to lose every game, it is going to take some serious trading to get into the top 10 to have a shot at Fields or Lance.

I would not be upset, but the reality is we would likely be better off seeing who is available when we pick.

PFTCB

I usually agree with this statement about Ohio State QB's but Fields is the exception to that. His size, strength, athleticism and decision making set him apart from most of the Ohio State QB's. His closest comparison is probably Tyrell Pryor but Pryor never had that level of arm talent (also keep in mind Pryor turned out to have some solid years as a WR in the league).

Fields will be gone by the 5th pick, at the latest. Also, QB's are allowed to have a bad game and BTW Indiana is REALLY good this year.

Fields actually has better stats than Trevor Lawrence and plays in a tougher conference (top to bottom). Fields leads Lawrence in Yards per attempt, completion %, TD to INT ratio. You could actually make the argument Fields maybe a better player by the numbers...
Watching Indiana this year is how I wish I felt watching the Bears. They have a physical defense that gets the ball back and can score and a mobile passer(he's kinda gimpy atm, ankle I think) who likes to take shots and knows who can catch it(2 200 Fryfogle games in a row). A great running game that is somewhat hampered by OL troubles, but Stevie Scott and Sampson are a great duo - expect to see Stevie Scott in the NFL as a midround David Montgomery type who really shows out and gets paid down the road. A great head coach who doesn't just talk about the locker room but exemplifies and shows on the field how great the locker room is. A head coach who knows when to take his shot and just wants to WIN FOOTBALL GAMES. Winning culture on a team which wasn't expected to do much of anything and hasn't for a very long time.

Montucky

If Indiana can hang onto their coach they will probably have a great decade. That program is really going places.

As for Fields I am not a believer at all whatsoever. He doesn't pass the eye test, which for me is way more important than the nonsense statistics people love to parade about. Everyone already forgot about Dwayne Haskins I guess.

I'm curious to see how he looks at the combine though. He might win me over a bit if he does well there.

run and shoot

My favorite teams
Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears Illinois Fighting Illini
If Indiana can hang onto their coach they will probably have a great decade. That program is really going places.

As for Fields I am not a believer at all whatsoever. He doesn't pass the eye test, which for me is way more important than the nonsense statistics people love to parade about. Everyone already forgot about Dwayne Haskins I guess.

I'm curious to see how he looks at the combine though. He might win me over a bit if he does well there.
He has the stats, the wins, the leadership.
So as a college Qb what "eye test" does Fields have to pass in your opinion?

Haskins is a different subject.

run and shoot

My favorite teams
Its pretty easy to have leadership when the twenty fastest players in the entire Big Ten are all on Ohio State.
So as a college Qb what "eye test" does Fields have to pass in your opinion? Please be a little more specific

Montucky

So as a college Qb what "eye test" does Fields have to pass in your opinion? Please be a little more specific
There's loft on his intermediate throws and his mobility isn't going to carry over against NFL edge rushers. Those are two of the big ones. Also his decision making is piss poor. He will consistently just throw the ball in the air without any clue where its going under the assumption that one of his future NFL wide receivers will track it down. Indiana, like Clemson, was the rare team that Fields faces which is both talented enough and well coached enough to take advantage of his faults. In the NFL everyone, literally everyone, will be a whole lot better than the Indiana Hoosiers.

With a good coach he might have a future as a good NFL backup, though. I wont discount that there's some potential, but mostly he's pretty bad and a surefire bust if he's taken in the first three rounds.

Wild_x_Card

fields is 10x the QB prospect of Haskins. If you can't see the difference that's pretty remarkable.

run and shoot

My favorite teams
There's loft on his intermediate throws and his mobility isn't going to carry over against NFL edge rushers. Those are two of the big ones. Also his decision making is piss poor.

He will consistently just throw the ball in the air without any clue where its going under the assumption that one of his future NFL wide receivers will track it down. Indiana, like Clemson, was the rare team that Fields faces which is both talented enough and well coached enough to take advantage of his faults. In the NFL everyone, literally everyone, will be a whole lot better than the Indiana Hoosiers.

With a good coach he might have a future as a good NFL backup, though. I wont discount that there's some potential, but mostly he's pretty bad and a surefire bust if he's taken in the first three rounds.
By your logic any college Qb can be a bust if they have a loss to a so called 'greater or lesser team'...right? Crazy thing is Fields came out with a win vs. Indiana Hoosiers. :confused: Shouldn't the NFL wr's be better than college wr's??
-------------------------------------------------------

There's loft on his intermediate throws and his mobility isn't going to carry over against NFL edge rushers. Those are two of the big ones. Also his decision making is piss poor.

He will consistently just throw the ball in the air without any clue where its going under the assumption that one of his future NFL wide receivers will track it down.
I don't why he's mobility wouldn't carry over to the NFL, other Qb's have carried their mobility over to the NFL ( Let me know if u need the names) 🙂 You say "his decision making is piss poor"....right? You say he throws the ball " without any clue where its going ".

Then why does he have only SIX Ints. in his college career??? :confused: Please make it, make sense.

Why isn't this info. a lot worse?
>>>>>> click it #15

Last edited:

Montucky

His turnover numbers are low because he plays most of his games against teams like Maryland and Rutgers while trying to pass the likes of Michigan and Penn State off as "quality opponents". Clemson clowned him last year and Indiana clowned him this year. When steps outside of his safe space he looks like shit.

Wild_x_Card

I don't think that's an attitude that befits open conversation on a message board. If you have superior knowledge then that's fine, if you have insight, that's great, but don't then belittle people because they ask questions to open up debate and conversation.

So far better than any QB out of that program since? The arm is important, I was more curious about his ability in the pocket and ability to move inside and escape etc etc but if he is the athlete you say he is then there shouldn't be problems. Today's NFL as you probably know will eat players alive if they don't have that clock inside their head at the QB position.

I pushed you for answers because it's interesting that some folk on here (whether they are knowledgeable or not) seem to have an issue with him and I wondered if it was because he is fortunate because of the system he plays in and the quality of those around him, or the fact he is able to (as you have confirmed) able to raise the game of those around him because he has the talent to do so.

Why are people so narky when it comes to having conversation when someone asks questions? It's so weird.

Thanks for taking the time out to answer, it's okay though, I was just posing questions to those In The Know (ITK)
I don't have a problem with open discussion or debate. I have a problem with people who speak in absolutes when they have know clue what they are talking about in terms of scouting or evaluating prospects.

Wild_x_Card

It's like Rawdawg said. The player, not the helmet. Could you imagine if your favorite teams scouting department said, " well he plays for Ohio St and they never produce quality QBs so we're not going to bother." Then said player went on to have a good NFL career?

It's short-sighted at best and frankly, it's a cop out. Fields is not Burrow or Lawrence but he is a really good NFL prospect with alot of upside and has all the tools to work with.

Remember all of the message board GMs that thought Herbert was hot garbage as prospect? Writing him off for level of competition, scrutinizing single game performance instead of overall body of work?

Pepperidge farms remembers.

run and shoot

My favorite teams
His turnover numbers are low because he plays most of his games against teams like Maryland and Rutgers while trying to pass the likes of Michigan and Penn State off as "quality opponents". Clemson clowned him last year and Indiana clowned him this year. When steps outside of his safe space he looks like shit.

He won against Indiana. He had 378 total yards and 3tds vs 3 turnovers. He lost to Clemson 29-23. So does that mean he's a bust? Also, you talk about the Big 10 as though it's like Div. 2 or 3 football.
Is Clemson only facing "NFL-caliber teams"? Can u give equal time on the number of 'patsy-teams' Clemson played??

Again.......
I don't know why he's mobility wouldn't carry over to the NFL, other Qb's have carried their mobility over to the NFL ( Let me know if u need the names) 🙂 You say "his decision making is piss poor"....right? You say he throws the ball " without any clue where its going ".

Then why does he have only SIX Ints. in his college career??? :confused: Please make it, make sense.

Last edited: