Justin Jones vs Mario Edwards

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Was wondering some of people's thoughts on who the Bears will have at 3T. I have to admit that I don't understand all the individual nuances of the Cover 2 defense. But what I do know is that having a 3T tackle is critical. Tommie Harris made it run last time it was used in Chicago. If you will remember, the defense was never the same after his injury. I think, but I could be wrong, that it is critical for the 3T tackle to get quickly into the backfield on passing situations to take away the slant route. If that happens, the corners can play off the ball. But I may have a misunderstanding in this regard.

That said, I don't think Justin Jones will be able to accomplish that. I looked at some film. He did line up at 3T for the Chargers and he wasn't able to play at that top level. Mario Edwards, OTOH, may be able to do it. When he is on, he's a disrupter in the backfield. Also, worth mentioning that his lawsuit was dropped. So, maybe the past is being put behind him and he has a real opportunity to be the piece that makes the Cover 2 work.

Thoughts?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great question. I honestly thought of Mario Edwards as more of a defensive end. I'm not sure how he'd hold up at DT.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think is issue is overblown. Yes, no doubt Flus would want that elite 3T. But unless you’re running a static old-school Lovie cover 2, you can manage without it. I don’t think our defense is going to fall apart like some are suggesting.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I don’t think anyone on the roster projects to be a consistently disruptive 3T. Bears will need high production from their DEs and/or get crafty manufacturing pressure with clever blitzes and stunts.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This defense will be like the 2009 Defense. They just don't have the players to run this scheme correctly.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The best way to cover for not have an elite 3T is to have a rotation. Jones and Edwards should split reps 50/50 to ensure that when either is on the field they can go 100%

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Jones is the great unknown at this point. Last time he was a 3T was in college. Question here would be, has he been playing out of position in a 3-4 defense, or will he be better served going back to his college position?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Neither guy really fits the mold. 3 tech is supposed to own the B gap and live in the other teams backfield.

Edwards is the better option given OP’s premise, but seems to be more of a DE/rotation in a 4 front, but at least he has experience winning his battles for gap penetration. I’m not confident in Justin Jones. Dude was a back up 5 tech for the bolts and was know to be more run/gap stuffer than a penetrating, hand-fighting, and leveraging DT you need him to be. I’m sure he and Tonga are desirable for goal line situations.

Henry Melton was the last good 3 tech. Know his tenure was brief but he was crazy good for a year or two. Bears have cap space, really hoped they could have made something work with Ogunjobi but now I’m hoping there’s some nobody in camp worth following.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Jones is the great unknown at this point. Last time he was a 3T was in college. Question here would be, has he been playing out of position in a 3-4 defense, or will he be better served going back to his college position?
That's a good point. Maybe he improves in the 4-3 scheme.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jones and Edwards would have both played some 3T in nickel packages which teams are in 70% or more of the time.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Larry fat broken feet Ogunjobi signs with Pit for either 1 yr @ 8mil or an incentive based deal worth up to 8mil...

20 mil in CAP? i take it Larry said F poles or poles was trying to underpay even more........

20 mil though, poles is in a decent place to sign others teams camp/pre season casualties in the coming weeks

Last edited:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither guy really fits the mold. 3 tech is supposed to own the B gap and live in the other teams backfield.

Edwards is the better option given OP’s premise, but seems to be more of a DE/rotation in a 4 front, but at least he has experience winning his battles for gap penetration. I’m not confident in Justin Jones. Dude was a back up 5 tech for the bolts and was know to be more run/gap stuffer than a penetrating, hand-fighting, and leveraging DT you need him to be. I’m sure he and Tonga are desirable for goal line situations.

Henry Melton was the last good 3 tech. Know his tenure was brief but he was crazy good for a year or two. Bears have cap space, really hoped they could have made something work with Ogunjobi but now I’m hoping there’s some nobody in camp worth following.
on the bright side, we have plenty of nobody's for you to choose from

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think Bilal Nichols would have excelled at that spot.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
on the bright side, we have plenty of nobody's for you to choose from

This is true. At least these scrubs will all be motivated to give it their all to make it on an NFL roster.