K.Whyte the real sleeper?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
If he shows out as a returner then they're gonna wanna keep him around if they think he could replace Patterson after this year and save $5 mil per. It's so early for any of us to know who will or won't make the 53 because sometimes players just adjust there games better to the NFL. A 7th rounder could just get drafted into a situation that works for him and his game adjusts and then a 3rd or 4th rounder could do the exact opposite and that 7th rounder takes the 3rd-4th rounders spot on the 53 simply because of how those players adjust to the next level.

There is no flaw in this post. An excellent football post, thank you! ?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I was half-joking. But the fact is, Patterson carried the ball out of the backfield far more than he was targeted as a WR.

Did he? Or did he carry the ball running in to the backfield from an initial position out wide?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Since you want an answer, I will give my opinion.

Let's start with an early 1st rounder.

If he starts, he is meeting the expectations of a 1st rounder.
If he stars, he is exceeding the expectations for his position unless he is one of the blue chip players (usually 3 to 5 per year). If he is a blue chip player and stars, he is just meeting expectations.
If he does not become a starter within the 1st 3 seasons, he is a bust.
If he does considerably worse than 1st rounders picked much later than him, he is at least a disappointment, if not a bust.

Now let's go to the 7th rounders.

If he starts, he is a sleeper.
If he stars, he is a super sleeper.
If he does not become a starter within the 1st 3 seasons, he is a special teams player.
If he does considerably worse than players drafted after him or UDFAs, he is a special teams player.
If he does not make the 53 roster, he is a practice squad player.
If he does not make the 53 man roster, gets picked up by another team and does well for the other team, he is the one that got away.
If he does not make the practice squad nor picked up by another team, he is a disappointment.
If he gets arrested for selling drugs, he is busted (the only choice that ties a 7th rounder with the word bust).

I don't really agree particularly but a good job at categorization and obviously a carefully thought out post.

Cheers and go Bears!

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Anyone think it's odd how Vu closed my thread with the last post but somehow BearDen still had time to get a like in that thread closing post? Hmmmmmmmmm.... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Don't do it man. Stay on target, you made a good thread here and you made some decent points here.

Cheers!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wait a sec, are you talking about a 5 headed rushing attack! For the love of god, that's some magical, unattainable percentage better than the rumored 3 headed attack!

Bring it!

Wait a god damn second. I'm just spit ballin here... What if we had another RB? I'm no rocket surgeon, but based on counting fingers I'm seeing a RB room with somewhere close to 6 runningbacks!

Imagine that 6 headed monster! It would be the Greek Moster known as the Hydra:

View attachment 1631

Look at that monster! Imagine that creature with a ball on one of the mouths while the other's just head butt defenders like an old school Madden stiff arm!

No.
I wasn't advocating that at all.
I was pointing out that there were 4 others already.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to clear up the Patterson discussions, he was a KR, WR for New England. They lost both running backs to injury and decided to try him at RB. Then even when the RBs came back they used him a bit as RB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True but it's that aspect that got him interest from Pace and Nagy. Screens, sweeps besides the end arounds and route catches will all be part of the package.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't truly expect Patterson to be getting carries from scrimmage, lined up in the backfield this year. I do think what carries he gets will be on end arounds, and those are very limited in number, but can serve as a decoy when he gets lined up wide.

The whole argument about 4th or 5th RB was not that he is Jim Brown. But those expecting our 4th RB to get a ton of carries are a little off base as well. Maybe if whyte makes the team, with his speed they have him carry more than we have seen a 4th RB in the past. (That would be the whole point of keeping hm on the 53 man if they do)

But I think people lose sight of just how few carries a 4th RB will actually have, even in an offense designed around multiple weapons and the philosophy of not tipping off who is getting the ball.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Nope. Try harder to keep track of the conversation please. A bit of a pet peeve of mine, but I get random arguments from people that never seem to be paying attention to the conversation and the point I was making during the chat.

But at least I am not rory. Some people here live to fight him so much that they go out of the way to twist his meaning to start their proverbial engines.
In an open thread which goes many different directions at the same time you are annoyed that people are following your every word?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don't truly expect Patterson to be getting carries from scrimmage, lined up in the backfield this year. I do think what carries he gets will be on end arounds, and those are very limited in number, but can serve as a decoy when he gets lined up wide.

The whole argument about 4th or 5th RB was not that he is Jim Brown. But those expecting our 4th RB to get a ton of carries are a little off base as well. Maybe if whyte makes the team, with his speed they have him carry more than we have seen a 4th RB in the past. (That would be the whole point of keeping hm on the 53 man if they do)

But I think people lose sight of just how few carries a 4th RB will actually have, even in an offense designed around multiple weapons and the philosophy of not tipping off who is getting the ball.
With Patterson able to line up as a RB in an emergency, and with how many different types of WRs we have and are likely to keep, a 4th RB may not even dress on Sundays...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think he'll line up everywhere but mostly off the line and tight where he can move to multiple spots before the snap. That would make him another threat that would bring a D player up. The D most want to stop him from getting the ball in his hands. Should make space for other WRs.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
In an open thread which goes many different directions at the same time you are annoyed that people are following your every word?

If people quote me and argue against a point I didn't make or a variation of the stance I made that I do not even share, that annoys me.

Don't worry; I take that annoyance on myself. I should not be that way and I must grow beyond that. The attention spans and comprehension of what other people are saying is a skill that is lacking around here, and if I get annoyed every time it happens, I wouldn't last. I find I get annoyed by posters who I would not have thought capable of it. My mistake there.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
If people quote me and argue against a point I didn't make or a variation of the stance I made that I do not even share, that annoys me.

Don't worry; I take that annoyance on myself. I should not be that way and I must grow beyond that. The attention spans and comprehension of what other people are saying is a skill that is lacking around here, and if I get annoyed every time it happens, I wouldn't last. I find I get annoyed by posters who I would not have thought capable of it. My mistake there.
Np. Often I'm hoping between a few threads, so when the dialogue goes beyond a few pages it's tough to follow what everyone is saying. It's easier to do a quick, often smart ass reply and if I need to be corrected typically the quoted poster is happy to oblige.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So using that logic, if UDFAs and tryout players don't make the 53, they should be considered busts?

Thought it was funny that the word "logic" was used in a posting that claims players not drafted are draft busts.

On a side note, I find it odd that you've hitched your CCS rep wagon to dabears70...that is like the Bulls trying to build a championship team around Jimmy Butler. Good lord.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Thought it was funny that the word "logic" was used in a posting that claims players not drafted are draft busts.

On a side note, I find it odd that you've hitched your CCS rep wagon to dabears70...that is like the Bulls trying to build a championship team around Jimmy Butler. Good lord.

By that logic, i am also a draft bust