K.Whyte the real sleeper?

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I posted the exact thing as a two-line summary of what you said on page one. The replies I got were ... odd to say the least.
Meatballs always say our garbage players will get poached. I say other teams are more than welcome to Whyte if it means he will get a real chance. Is that clear enough for you?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
If he makes the team it will be for the same reason all the guys at the bottom of the roster do...special teams. And not just as a returner. His speed/toughness could potentially make him a very good special teams player.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Face it, PS players are essentially free agents from a contractual perspective. They can sign with any team at any time, and the team holding their PS contract has no option to match. If Pace decides Whyte is a long term asset worth keeping, he'll find a place for him on the 53. Not saying Whyte will make the 53, only that I doubt Pace tries to stash him on the PS if he shows impact potential in TC.

I posted the exact thing as a two-line summary of what you said on page one. The replies I got were ... odd to say the least.

More generally, trying to "stash" a player on their PS that a team really wants to keep is a lot riskier than just the poaching aspect. Once a team waives the guy on cut-down day, they have to get him signed to their PS in the first place. He's a free agent and can sign onto any team's PS. Other teams could make better offers, such as more money or better opportunity situations. Bottom line is smart GMs don't try to stash players on their PS that they see as a long term piece of their talent base moving forward. Whether Whyte ends up filling that bill is an entirely separate question.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If the guy moves on on his own accord, you're
More generally, trying to "stash" a player on their PS that a team really wants to keep is a lot riskier than just the poaching aspect. Once a team waives the guy on cut-down day, they have to get him signed to their PS in the first place. He's a free agent and can sign onto any team's PS. Other teams could make better offers, such as more money or better opportunity situations. Bottom line is smart GMs don't try to stash players on their PS that they see as a long term piece of their talent base moving forward. Whether Whyte ends up filling that bill is an entirely separate question.
That's kinda obvious but you can't keep everyone. If a guy leaves on his own accord, not much you can do but other teams need to put him on the active to claim him and if price becomes the PS incentive, he wasn't that important to us anyway or we wouldn't let that happen. None of these guys are cap concerns.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To me I presume? Since it directly addresses what I said and immediately follows my post? Quotes are helpful.

If he is the real deal I don't give a fuck whom he replaces, but I am not saying he will. I actually think he won't and think he doesn't make the team.

He'd have to have some other tool in his bag of abilities other than simple raw speed. Why do you have Patterson at RB? He isn't one, never has been. He is a WR and will get rushing attempts with sweeps from the slot or outside.

I wouldn't "rather risk Hall, Wims, Denmark Shelly" because I have no idea nor prognostication for who makes the 53 or not.

LOL at a 7th round pick not ever being a "bust". Ok pick a word. One that distinguishes making the team from not. Now include making the PS as NOT making the 53 and call it whatever you want but "not bust cause 7th round" ... that was funny.

Anyway my point stands: if Whyte doesn't make the 53 (which you mistakenly assumed I wanted him to) then I doubt he will last on the PS with that kind of speed. I don't know how that is debateable but here we are ...
If he makes a practice squad this year, how the fuck is that a bust? That's what you said.
I feel like if he is on the PS, he would be officially a bust.
I guess he should go home and refuse the $220k. What a failure.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meatballs always say our garbage players will get poached. I say other teams are more than welcome to Whyte if it means he will get a real chance. Is that clear enough for you?

Tbf meatballs also use personal pronouns and possessive determiners when referring to sports teams they cheer for.

Last edited:

Bort

Liked Posts:
To name a few:
Dieugot Joseph (2017)
Brandon Dunn (2015)
Levi Horn (2011)

And that doesn't even count New England attempting to sign the immortal David Fales off the Bears PS in 2014, only to have the Bears counter-offer and sign him to their 53...

Face it, PS players are essentially free agents from a contractual perspective. They can sign with any team at any time, and the team holding their PS contract has no option to match. If Pace decides Whyte is a long term asset worth keeping, he'll find a place for him on the 53. Not saying Whyte will make the 53, only that I doubt Pace tries to stash him on the PS if he shows impact potential in TC.

To this day, every morning Ryan Pace solemnly gazes into his morning coffee, a visage of pure self-loathing regret as he lambastes himself with the refrain that has attained an almost spiritual ritualism in his penitent mind: "how did I let Dieugot Joseph slip through my fingers?"

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

Sigh. What is up with the random aggressive bitching?

Another who can't follow my meaning throughout this whole chat.

If Whyte "makes" the PS he is a bust (oops sorry Bearly thinks that can't happen to a 7th rounder) so I will use your word: garbage, good. Other teams are welcome to him yes. Also if he gets a "real chance" and succeeds then good for him yes, but Nagy will look bad and that will be a miss for him.

Personally I think he is all speed and not skilled enough to make the 53, but wtf do I know. If he makes the 53, good for him. If he doesn't make the 53, he is a bust for us poached or not. Is that clear enough for you?

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bottom line is smart GMs don't try to stash players on their PS that they see as a long term piece of their talent base moving forward. Whether Whyte ends up filling that bill is an entirely separate question.

QFT

You get it.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If he makes a practice squad this year, how the fuck is that a bust? That's what you said.

I have already explained multiple times. I believe with his elite speed, a team takes a flier on him and take him from our PS and he will be gone making him a bust for the Bears. THAT'S what I said. Try to read my whole post, thanks.

Your green is baffling and bizarre and not worth any effort in trying to discern your thinking when you wrote it. If you want to clarify the meaning of your green-fonted joke (?), I'd be ok with it.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Oh wait. I actually think I do get your meaning.

Are you saying if Whyte gets assigned PS he can't be a "bust" (or whatever word you choose that happens to differentiate between making the 53 vs. not making the 53)

anyway, he can't be a "bust" because of the 220k salary paid out to him by the Bears? Even though any other team can sign him at any time and he is basically a FA and not on the team proper?

No, I surely must still be missing something?

Also, I'm not calling you Shirley.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
These are the same guys that kept plugging for Devin Aromashodu back in 2010-ish.

You done fucked up right here. Aromashodu was our best fucking WR not named Earl back then. Apologize now

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Sigh. What is up with the random aggressive bitching?

Another who can't follow my meaning throughout this whole chat.

If Whyte "makes" the PS he is a bust (oops sorry Bearly thinks that can't happen to a 7th rounder) so I will use your word: garbage, good. Other teams are welcome to him yes. Also if he gets a "real chance" and succeeds then good for him yes, but Nagy will look bad and that will be a miss for him.

Personally I think he is all speed and not skilled enough to make the 53, but wtf do I know. If he makes the 53, good for him. If he doesn't make the 53, he is a bust for us poached or not. Is that clear enough for you?

Again worth keeping in mind when projecting the bottom of rosters is that those guys make it by their ability on special teams, not their ability on offense/defense. I agree with you about him as a running back, but his potential as a special teams player who can get a few touches on offense is what will earn him a roster spot, in my opinion.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Everyone seems to have a backup besides Cohen. God forbid if Cohen goes down, this guy will need his name called upon.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i think he will make the team, his speed and ability to take it to the house as a runner/receiver is something nagy loves to have plus his ability to play special teams. I could see nagy creating some sort of speed package with whyte, cohen, gabriel etc...

baredown

Liked Posts:
Again worth keeping in mind when projecting the bottom of rosters is that those guys make it by their ability on special teams, not their ability on offense/defense. I agree with you about him as a running back, but his potential as a special teams player who can get a few touches on offense is what will earn him a roster spot, in my opinion.

Certainly that's historically been true. If Fox were still HC, I'd completely agree with you. But with Nagy as HC, I'm not so sure. As was suggested very early on in this thread, the idea of pairing Cohen and Whyte in the same backfield has to resonate with Nagy. Even if Whyte doesn't turn out to be much of a ST guy, I can see him making the 53 if Nagy decides Whyte allows him do lots of creative things with his offense. Mizzell was on the 53 for much of last year, and I don't recall him being much of a ST presence. Nagy tried to do stuff with Mizzell, but there just wasn't a lot to work with there. We'll have to wait until TC gets rolling to know for sure, but Whyte projects to offer a lot more for Nagy to work with...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Everyone seems to have a backup besides Cohen. God forbid if Cohen goes down, this guy will need his name called upon.

Definitely don't wanna see Cohen go down because he's so damn fun to watch but i think K.Whyte could fill in even though his style is definitely different then Cohen where Cohen is elusive as hell and Whyte is fast as hell but he hasn't shown if he can be elusive like Cohen does even though it gets him in trouble some of the times.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Definitely don't wanna see Cohen go down because he's so damn fun to watch but i think K.Whyte could fill in even though his style is definitely different then Cohen where Cohen is elusive as hell and Whyte is fast as hell but he hasn't shown if he can be elusive like Cohen does even though it gets him in trouble some of the times.
If Mizzell got PT while Cohen was healthy, Whyte definitely will if Cohen gets hurt. Fresh, straight line speed like he has could be devastating.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
:whistle: