Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh wait. I actually think I do get your meaning.

Are you saying if Whyte gets assigned PS he can't be a "bust" (or whatever word you choose that happens to differentiate between making the 53 vs. not making the 53)

anyway, he can't be a "bust" because of the 220k salary paid out to him by the Bears? Even though any other team can sign him at any time and he is basically a FA and not on the team proper?

No, I surely must still be missing something?

Also, I'm not calling you Shirley.
Holy shit man. Don't blow a gasket. The vast majority of players waved in Sept don't get signed to active rosters. If he doesn't, he falls into the group where the vast majority of those stay with the teams they started with if that team wants them as part of their limited squad. You don't think that applies to him because he's fast. That hasn't been the history of the NFL but OK we disagree. Either way, getting paid by the NFL is not busting out especially for a 7th round pick. That's not even a disappointment. Anything you get from a 7th round pick is value added. Conveniently adding later that he'd be a bust for the Bears is some nice maneuvering. Whether you are a bust or not has to do with expectations, something that's extremely low for 7th round picks.

Here's a copy and paste reference to the term spelled out.

A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at a professional level. A player is also regarded as a larger bust if more successful players are drafted after him or her. An example of a bust is in the 1998 NFL Draft. The San Diego Chargers selected promising quarterback Ryan Leaf with the second overall pick, after Peyton Manning. However, Leaf only managed to play two years with the Chargers and started only 18 games (and winning only 4 games) for them before being released.[6][7][8] In contrast, Manning had a standout career in which he set a number of passing records, led two Super Bowl-winning teams and become one of the most recognizable players in the NFL. Tony Mandarich and JaMarcus Russell, two other frequently cited draft busts, are examples of players whose statuses as busts are amplified by their placements in the draft. Mandarich was selected second overall in the 1989 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers, after future Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Troy Aikman and ahead of future Hall of Famers Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders, as well as seven future Pro Bowlers. Russell was selected first overall in the 2007 NFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders, ahead of future superstars Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, and Darrelle Revis, among others. Leaf, Mandarich, and Russell were all cut after three seasons with their respective teams. Russell had multiple comeback attempts following his release, most notably with Chicago Bears in 2013. Mandarich retired in 1998 after three unremarkable seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. Other frequently cited examples include Tim Couch and Akili Smith (both 1999), and Trent Richardson (2012).[9][10][11][12]

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Are you really saying that if a 7th round pick isn't able to beat out the talent on a SB contending roster, that player is a bust? Really???

You're going to see a LOT of busts for this team going forward, I'm afraid!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Certainly that's historically been true. If Fox were still HC, I'd completely agree with you. But with Nagy as HC, I'm not so sure. As was suggested very early on in this thread, the idea of pairing Cohen and Whyte in the same backfield has to resonate with Nagy. Even if Whyte doesn't turn out to be much of a ST guy, I can see him making the 53 if Nagy decides Whyte allows him do lots of creative things with his offense. Mizzell was on the 53 for much of last year, and I don't recall him being much of a ST presence. Nagy tried to do stuff with Mizzell, but there just wasn't a lot to work with there. We'll have to wait until TC gets rolling to know for sure, but Whyte projects to offer a lot more for Nagy to work with...
I think CP is more likely to be paired with Cohen in the backfield (or anywhere) than Whyte.

At least for this coming season..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Backfield is pretty packed, so this kid will need to light it up in Preseason to have a chance. A kick return for a TD and several big plays kind of preseason. But then you have an issue because the rest of the League has also seen some big plays, and then it could make it hard to get him on the PS without being claimed.

The question about his vision, since he is a one cut and go kind of guy, wouldn't he be better suited than say a kid that juked his way to big plays in college?

So....with several big plays in the preseason he would make the 53, and also get poached off the PS?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I literally actually don't. My choice. I was paying as I go before they slapped that option with a mandatory monthly fee that doesn't match how much I call/text.

In my defense, all family is close within driving distance and on FB for free.

Isn’t Facebook free for everyone?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Nice things going for Whyte is...

He's a football player, not afraid of contact. (Cohen will forgo extra yards to avoid it).

Respectable vision. You can see Whyte has some anticipation finding lanes.

Nice hands. Was not asked to catch much at all (7 Rec 2018), but is fluid catcher.

Promising KR. Avg 28.7 2018 with a TD. Patterson was 28.8 with a TD last year. So clearly Patterson is penciled as KR.

I don't know if Nagy will put Whyte in. But if he electifies at KR, and shows he can catch, he could be game-day active, in which case Nagy might want to use him on offense. I don't know any other RB on the team who shoots holes this fast between the tackles. Hopefully Cohen will.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He could surprise us and make the team, no doubt, but it will be an uphill battle.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
He could surprise us and make the team, no doubt, but it will be an uphill battle.
He had some tackles in college. If he somehow proved to be a gunner, he'd be halfway there.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That's exactly right. Montgomery too. A lot of the holes these guys are seeing in college won't be there or will close in a nano-second at the pro-level. That's why it's hard for me to get into hype threads without seeing them in at least a preseason game.
Montgomery never had holes to run through in college. He literally had the worst offensive line in CFB.