K.Whyte the real sleeper?

Bort

Liked Posts:
Say, who was that player Bears promoted to the 53 after "they heard the Patriots were going to snatch him"? I think that was early last year. I can't remember. Anyway, how did the Bears 'hear' about it? Not supposed to work that way.

Your memory is terrible. That was David Fales in 2014, and multiple sources reported that the Patriots were in fact in discussions with his agent to sign him.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Holy shit man. Don't blow a gasket. The vast majority of players waved in Sept don't get signed to active rosters. If he doesn't, he falls into the group where the vast majority of those stay with the teams they started with if that team wants them as part of their limited squad. You don't think that applies to him because he's fast. That hasn't been the history of the NFL but OK we disagree. Either way, getting paid by the NFL is not busting out especially for a 7th round pick. That's not even a disappointment. Anything you get from a 7th round pick is value added. Conveniently adding later that he'd be a bust for the Bears is some nice maneuvering. Whether you are a bust or not has to do with expectations, something that's extremely low for 7th round picks.

Here's a copy and paste reference to the term spelled out.

A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at a professional level. A player is also regarded as a larger bust if more successful players are drafted after him or her. An example of a bust is in the 1998 NFL Draft. The San Diego Chargers selected promising quarterback Ryan Leaf with the second overall pick, after Peyton Manning. However, Leaf only managed to play two years with the Chargers and started only 18 games (and winning only 4 games) for them before being released.[6][7][8] In contrast, Manning had a standout career in which he set a number of passing records, led two Super Bowl-winning teams and become one of the most recognizable players in the NFL. Tony Mandarich and JaMarcus Russell, two other frequently cited draft busts, are examples of players whose statuses as busts are amplified by their placements in the draft. Mandarich was selected second overall in the 1989 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers, after future Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Troy Aikman and ahead of future Hall of Famers Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders, as well as seven future Pro Bowlers. Russell was selected first overall in the 2007 NFL Draft by the Oakland Raiders, ahead of future superstars Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, and Darrelle Revis, among others. Leaf, Mandarich, and Russell were all cut after three seasons with their respective teams. Russell had multiple comeback attempts following his release, most notably with Chicago Bears in 2013. Mandarich retired in 1998 after three unremarkable seasons with the Indianapolis Colts. Other frequently cited examples include Tim Couch and Akili Smith (both 1999), and Trent Richardson (2012).[9][10][11][12]

Then we are using different definitions for "bust". I clearly asked you to use any other term that differentiates making the Bears 53 vs. not particularly if he gets poached which (if happens) would literally be exactly the opposite of what you said:

"Anything you get from a 7th round pick is value added."

That would mean we would indeed get nothing from him. Based on your copy-paste that would not fit the definition of a "bust"... well ok. It certainly would not be good in any way for the Bears.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Are you really saying that if a 7th round pick isn't able to beat out the talent on a SB contending roster, that player is a bust? Really???

You're going to see a LOT of busts for this team going forward, I'm afraid!

4th RB is open for competition.

Still working with Bearly on what a 7th round pick failing to make the team would be called. Anytime you feel like contributing something of actual value, feel free to reply.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Isn’t Facebook free for everyone?

I love this place sometimes.

Yes it is free for everyone. I started my post with the fact I don't own a phone. FB being free for everyone (me and the people I want to stay in close contact with) IS one of the reasons why a phone with monthly service is not needed for me.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The union probably wouldn't go for that. A little extra $ on PS is nice, but the winning ticket is on the 53-man.

Plus, I think it's kind of exciting to see who teams try to 'stash' on the PS and who gets stolen. Makes the league more competitive, and only fair to talent.

Say, who was that player Bears promoted to the 53 after "they heard the Patriots were going to snatch him"? I think that was early last year. I can't remember. Anyway, how did the Bears 'hear' about it? Not supposed to work that way.

Wasn't it T.Bray that they tried taking from us? I do remember them trying to grab someone off our PS but not 100 on it being Bray but sounds right.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The first 5 you listed are the real issue. But in each case its an overpaid veteran actually pushing the queue down.

Whyte-Patterson
Wims/Hall-Gabriel
Raymond- Shaheen/Braunecker
Bars-Sowell and the waste of space from Arizona L something?

I think there's a good chance that we IR A.Bars because he had that injury in i think Oct so he's not gonna be 100% healthy for a while yet.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
4th RB is open for competition.

Still working with Bearly on what a 7th round pick failing to make the team would be called. Anytime you feel like contributing something of actual value, feel free to reply.

Wouldn't a 7th round pick not making the team really just be a throw away? I mean it's a 7th round pick so it's not like they're expected to make the 53.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
You see poor vision? I thought his vision looked alright.

Yes watch his runs he sees a hole and hits it doesnt see the 2nd level or cut backs all that well. His scouting report is pretty spot on, a one cut slasher.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I love this place sometimes.

Yes it is free for everyone. I started my post with the fact I don't own a phone. FB being free for everyone (me and the people I want to stay in close contact with) IS one of the reasons why a phone with monthly service is not needed for me.

This cannot be true......it just can't.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes watch his runs he sees a hole and hits it doesnt see the 2nd level or cut backs all that well. His scouting report is pretty spot on, a one cut slasher.

Ahh i see what you're saying. I was thinking about seeing a whole in the line and getting through it but wasn't really thinking about his vision after getting through the first hole. So i would still say that his vision isn't poor but maybe not as good as we'd like for it to be. Still with his speed he could do damage as long as he finds the first hole to get through the line but with the speed of the NFL LB's and DB's it will be much tougher to get by them once he does get through the line. It will be fun to see what he can do in preseason though.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
The NFL should make it to where teams can protect like 2-3-4 guys on their practice squad from getting snatched up by other teams. Maybe they could make it so those players that they do use the protection on gets a certain guaranteed amount of money or something. We're gonna have to try to hide some of these guys on the PS and hope they won't get picked up from another team and i'm not sure that won't happen.

K.Whyte
J.Wims
E.Hall
D.Raymond
A.bars
S.Mustipher
M.Betts
C.Harris

The NFL just needs to expand the non game day roster size already.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Wasn't it T.Bray that they tried taking from us? I do remember them trying to grab someone off our PS but not 100 on it being Bray but sounds right.
No, it was Fales as someone already pointed out.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Patterson is not a RB. He is a WR
It really doesn't matter if he's technically listed as a WR or a RB. He takes up a spot on the roster from those position groups. We can only keep so many RBs and WRs. A couple ate going to be the odd men out...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The NFL just needs to expand the non game day roster size already.
Its not likely to happen. Players want a chance to play, not to be stashed on the end of the bench so another team can't poach them.

The entire system is designed so teams can't keep all their talented players on purpose, just for that reason...

baredown

Liked Posts:
The NFL should make it to where teams can protect like 2-3-4 guys on their practice squad from getting snatched up by other teams. Maybe they could make it so those players that they do use the protection on gets a certain guaranteed amount of money or something.

Actually, teams can sort of do that now, in an underhanded way. They offer an active roster salary instead of the standard PS salary (which is only ~1/4 of the league minimum active roster salary). The team also promises that they'll get the guy up on the active roster for at least three games (needed to count as an NFL accrual year...), and the player (his agent...) in turn promises to give the team first option if another team comes along to poach. A couple gotcha's with doing this. PS salaries count against the team salary cap, so if you start paying PS guys active roster salaries, you're hurting yourself on the other end of your roster, salary cap-wise. Second, a promise to get the guy on the active roster for three games can become painful to keep, especially if the team is in a playoff run with banged up players, and can't afford to waste a roster spot.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually, teams can sort of do that now, in an underhanded way. They offer an active roster salary instead of the standard PS salary (which is only ~1/4 of the league minimum active roster salary). The team also promises that they'll get the guy up on the active roster for at least three games (needed to count as an NFL accrual year...), and the player (his agent...) in turn promises to give the team first option if another team comes along to poach. A couple gotcha's with doing this. PS salaries count against the team salary cap, so if you start paying PS guys active roster salaries, you're hurting yourself on the other end of your roster, salary cap-wise. Second, a promise to get the guy on the active roster for three games can become painful to keep, especially if the team is in a playoff run with banged up players, and can't afford to waste a roster spot.

I like that idea to enable a team to get that 1st right of refusal

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Seriously? Whyte was the 4th of only 5 draft picks. You think Pace is going to cut one? After all the time they spent reviewing RBs. Are you expecting Whyte to commit armed robbery? = p

Cut a RB like Whyte when we only have 3 RBs? Well, 4 with Nall, but Nall's been on the PS. If Whyte is what we saw in college, he's pretty much guaranteed (at least) a spot on the PS. We already know he impressed some during Rookie Camp.
I understand what you're saying, I get it, but you got to remember, regardless of how many picks pace had or didn't have, Whyte is a 7th round pick...only thing he is truly guaranteed is a tryout! truth of the matter is we got some running backs, and he's going to have to really prove it.
I guess maybe it's because I'm not really impressed with the guy from the few vids Ive watched, BUT what the hell do I know, I'm no scout or GM, Im just a Fan!

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They have some Absolutely Serious competition at the Wide Receiver and Running Back position.... Considering all the UDFAs they brought into camp that goes for the TE position as well....some of those wideouts are Big and could EZa-Lee become TEs

Special Teams should Kick-Azzzz this year with all them fast Big wide receivers, TEs and LB'ers on the squad

Really hopin for the O to take a "perceptible" grade/notch UP from last year, along with the 3rd Phase. This team is gonna Rock the NFL !!!

GO BEARs !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

((( Can you imagine if Pinata becomes as Effective for us, as Mack did with his energy and abilities ?? )))

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They have some Absolutely Serious competition at the Wide Receiver and Running Back position.... Considering all the UDFAs they brought into camp that goes for the TE position as well....some of those wideouts are Big and could EZa-Lee become TEs

Special Teams should Kick-Azzzz this year with all them fast Big wide receivers, TEs and LB'ers on the squad

Really hopin for the O to take a "perceptible" grade/notch UP from last year, along with the 3rd Phase. This team is gonna Rock the NFL !!!

GO BEARs !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

((( Can you imagine if Pinata becomes as Effective for us, as Mack did with his energy and abilities ?? )))

We do have a lot of competition at RB and receiver and i love how Nagy likes to spread the targets around but i think he tries to spread it around too much. Our #1 WR should be ARob who should definitely hit 1,000 yds with plenty of targets and catches with i think A.Miller being the next receiver to have the most targets and then Gabriel should be that speed guy that you throw the bombs to like he's been his whole career until last year. T.Burton should obviously be the #1 TE and D.Montgomery being the #1 RB and T.Cohen being that guy that can do some of everything. When we get in the red zone Shaheen should always be in the game whether it's blocking to run the ball in or that big target in the end zone. Damn we really do have a shit ton of offensive weapons.