Kadarius Toney breakdown

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kadarius Toney - The Second Best Receiver in the Draft

By Cian Fahey
@QBDataMine

There are three types of disrespectful wide receivers.

There's Jevon Wims, a Chicago Bears receiver who randomly punched an opposition defender during a game last year. That's the bad kind. There's Chad Ochcinco, a former Cincinnati Bengals receiver who went as far as legally changing his name to garner attention for himself. That's the neutral kind.

And then there's Kadarius Toney.

Toney comes from the Stevie Johnson school of disrespect. He'll not only beat you on the field, he'll repeatedly do so in a fashion that embarrasses you. Johnson ran the most spectacular, inexplicable routes of any receiver that has played in the NFL over the last 20 years. He did so with purpose too.

But Johnson was never a great receiver because he never had a great physical profile. He never had long speed, he wasn't particularly big and his ball skills were just adequate.

While playing at Florida, Toney showed off the kind of routes that would make Johnson proud.

HoarseUnrulyElephantbeetle-size_restricted.gif

On this play against Ole Miss, he cuts off his outside foot as you'd expect him to running a sharp in-breaking route. He sets up through his stem to purposely widen the defender before baiting him forward with that sharp cut on the outside. But when he pushes off his left foot he sends his back forward instead of trying to turn forward.

By letting his back carry forward, he's working with the momentum of his movement and speeding up his process of getting open. This isn't a flashy spin move, it's a purposeful spin move. It makes the defender look terrible by sending him the wrong way. It makes the quarterback's job easy because his receiver is now wide open.

UnconsciousSphericalHorsefly-size_restricted.gif

That functional creativity can be seen here again. You can see that Toney wants to immediately turn inside but the defender jumps into his vicinity. He phases upfield rather than presses, changing the momentum of his feet to maintain the same posture moving forward.

In doing so, he makes it so that he doesn't waste any time accelerating. He essentially paused mid-break to change the position that he was in and pull the defender out of the way of the route.

His route is very creative and again sends the defender the wrong way.

After catching the ball wide open over the middle, Toney shows off his speed to get upfield. You assume, considering his size, that he will go down at the first contact but the speed with which he runs puts two of the defenders off balance and allows him to run through the defender who contacts him.

The speed that Toney generates is vital to offset his size but the mindset that he runs with allows him to attack contact. This is something that permeates through his tape from college.

PoorPlainAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle-size_restricted.gif

On this play, you can see him run right through the defensive back in the hole before retaining his balance to then reaccelerate downfield. He gets caught from behind but considering he had to reaccelerate after breaking a tackle and maintain his balance, that's hardly a negative worth remarking on.

Toney will break tackles in the NFL. The only problem he has is a tendency to throw himself off balance trying to make defenders miss in the open field. It wasn't a chronic problem but it happened enough times for it to be a theme of his play.

Whatever team drafts Toney will likely keep him in the slot but use him on end-arounds, as a running back and on screens.

He's essentially Curits Samuel - but good.

WarlikePowerlessGermanspaniel-size_restricted.gif

Working the middle of the field shouldn't be a challenge for Toney. He is intelligent and tough against contact. Defenders who hit him won't put him out of the game and sticking to his body in tight coverage won't prevent him from catching the ball.

In the above play, we see how Toney resets into the soft spot in the zone. His quarterback never looks for him but that ability to get open in the second phase of the play is valuable. Understanding zone coverages will make his transition to the NFL much easier.

AbleMiserableFly-size_restricted.gif

On this play, we again see Toney run a great route to create an opening against a defender who had leverage against the route he was trying to run. That space over the middle of the field shouldn't have been open to him but he chopped his feet to move the defender out of his way.

That hesitation move can be dangerous in the NFL because some receivers who try it aren't fast enough to make it work. Toney shouldn't have that problem. His speed and route running puts him in a position to make a play but he has a defender on his back when the ball arrives.

Despite playing in the slot almost exclusively, Toney consistently made plays against tight coverage.

He's a hands catcher who shows off great concentration and an understanding of how to position his body relative to the ball in the air. He didn't have drop problems and he showed off how to adjust to the ball while understanding the space around him. Everything Toney did suggested he was a natural receiver rather than an athlete trying to remember the specifics of what he was supposed to do.

VapidScentedBison-size_restricted.gif

Slot receivers are starting receivers which means being able to work every level of the field. Toney's straight-line speed is excellent and he understands how to set up vertical routes. He combines his speed and his ball skills on this play to catch the ball between two defenders.

It's important that he drifts towards the ball and catches it with his hands away from his body to protect it from the defender recovering behind.

That's a routine play but it shows a rounded skill set.

PhysicalHilariousHorsemouse-size_restricted.gif

This vertical route against LSU is beautiful. He seamlessly transitions from freezing the defender to accelerating past his inside shoulder. As soon as Toney gets the defender level, he's gone. The ball slows him down, which prevents him from continuing on towards the endzone.

After Ja'Marr Chase, there isn't a receiver projected to go in the first round who is as intriguing as Toney.

In fact, an offence with Chase outside and Toney inside would be exceptional. His electrifying athleticism and big-play ability should help him shoot up draft boards. And in truth, it would be hard to be angry about taking him at any point. Unless you desperately need a quarterback and pass on one, then who is going to help you more than a consistent, big-play receiver who can also move the chains.

Last edited:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Toneys comparison is samuel ? And not someone like tyreek hill damn

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't know about 2nd best but he's certainly a great fit for our slot need.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
That's a cool breakdown but what's with the slight against Curtis Samuel? I think Curtis Samuel can really play.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Overrated in my opinion. Hes a 3rd rounder to me. But I'll give you credit since he looks much better in fast forward..

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Overrated in my opinion. Hes a 3rd rounder to me. But I'll give you credit since he looks much better in fast forward..

I agree. This kid's a hype train. I don't like him, not one bit. He gets caught from behind, and his talent is more in a short area burst. He runs "creative" routes, euphemistic for doing his own thing. He would be Anthony Miller Pt. II, the sequel.

If Green Bay was to draft this dude, he'd get one game before Rodgers loses his shit and chucks him the doghouse. Yeah, I hope Green Bay uses their first two picks on this guy and Rondale Moore.

Last edited:

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Overrated in my opinion. Hes a 3rd rounder to me.

I respectfully disagree. He gets separation as good or better than anyone in the draft, just lacks the prototypical #1 WR size... so that is why he isn't going top 10-15.

But you absolutely cannot cover this guy, he is just way too quick and he has good solid hands. Ran a 4.39.

Bears need a #1 to replace ARob so I would pass on that regard but Toney is a baller. I can't imagine you put a 3rd round grade on him if you watched him play at all this year. He dominated every game he played in.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Toneys comparison is samuel ? And not someone like tyreek hill damn
See him get chased down from behind on that running play. Same play, same breaking of the tackle but with Tyreek Hill, he isn't caught from behind.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I agree. This kid's a hype train. I don't like him, not one bit. He gets caught from behind, and his talent is more in a short area burst. He runs "creative" routes, euphemistic for doing his own thing. He would be Anthony Miller Pt. II, the sequel.

If Green Bay was to draft this dude, he'd get one game before Rodgers loses his shit and chucks him the doghouse. Yeah, I hope Green Bay uses their first two picks on this guy and Rondale Moore.
Well Anthony Miller spent two seasons being wide open all the time despite his speed. Then he self-detonated because being a wide receiver on the Bears is a form of mental torture.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
See him get chased down from behind on that running play. Same play, same breaking of the tackle but with Tyreek Hill, he isn't caught from behind.
I've seen tyreek hill caught from behind plenty in college

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Well Anthony Miller spent two seasons being wide open all the time despite his speed. Then he self-detonated because being a wide receiver on the Bears is a form of mental torture.

Yo, I like Anthony Miller. I liked him in Memphis and was happy to see him come here. If he had had a catchable ball thrown his way, he would have been lighting it up. Nagy plus Mitch was just a fucking disaster for him. Dude's lost his friggin' mind. I get it.

I'd like to keep him and still draft Elijah Moore, then Miller'd shine like a crazy diamond.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yo, I like Anthony Miller. I liked him in Memphis and was happy to see him come here. If he had had a catchable ball thrown his way, he would have been lighting it up. Nagy plus Mitch was just a fucking disaster for him. Dude's lost his friggin' mind. I get it.

I'd like to keep him and still draft Elijah Moore, then Miller'd shine like a crazy diamond.
I am also a believer that they should keep Anthony Miller. Even Andy Dalton might be good enough to make the most of him if the Bears can just get some damn blocking!

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen tyreek hill caught from behind plenty in college
Interesting... I've not seen Hill get caught from behind in the NFL... Could be the old guys are slower... Heh. Or Hill with full time work out, training, and eating habits, improved his speed.

Interesting side note, one of the fastest 40 times ever recorded at an NFL combine... MARQUISE GOODWIN

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I like the Samuel comp. I think he's a better version of Samuel, but I think it's a good comparison.

Toney isn't the type of WR you line up outside and have run traditional routes. He's a guy you line up all over; in the slot, moving in motion and even come out of the backfield some plus punt returns. I'd put him somewhere between Samuel and Percy Harvin for my comparison.

JayQ

Liked Posts:
Bears select Toney in the first and Trask in the 2nd. Super Bowl!!!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This draft has no shortage of dynamic 5'9" slot WRs. I do NOT think Toney is the best of them, as this breakdown suggests.

In this draft, there is Toney, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Dwayne Eskridge, and Amari Rodgers; just in the late 1 to mid 3rd round range. I personally don't think any of them are top 25 picks.

Toney- maybe the best route runner of the group, tracks the deep ball better than the others, probably 2nd best after the catch, but is kind of a 1-year wonder who produced almost nothing until this year and inconsistent hands

E Moore- really good vs. zone, great and finding holes, probably the best hands of this group and may be the fastest straight line speed. Not as shifty as some of the others, but no slouch there, lot of experience and production.

R Moore- probably best after the catch in this group, smallest target at 5'7", well-built stature wise, but has had some injury issues. More of a catch and run guy than a pure route runner, and doesn't have a lot of experience tracking the deep ball. Best combo of straight line speed and shiftiness. Most upside.

Eskridge- best acceleration in the group to me. 0 to 60 in a flash (think Hester on a punt return acceleration). Still developing as a route runner, but great releases off the line. Doesn't track the moon ball (high & deep) very well, but good catch radius. 24 years old.

Rodgers- probably safest of the group, don't think he's special in any area but solid in all. Reliable, go-to type in the slot. Physically a tank, if anything after the catch he'll run over DBs instead of around them.

I rank them R Moore, E Moore, Toney, Eskridge, Rodgers.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I respectfully disagree. He gets separation as good or better than anyone in the draft, just lacks the prototypical #1 WR size... so that is why he isn't going top 10-15.

But you absolutely cannot cover this guy, he is just way too quick and he has good solid hands. Ran a 4.39.

Bears need a #1 to replace ARob so I would pass on that regard but Toney is a baller. I can't imagine you put a 3rd round grade on him if you watched him play at all this year. He dominated every game he played in.
Draft the DBs that ran him down. They both apparently run better than a 4.39.