Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Phillips is probably the worst NFL president there is.
1. Instead of demanding a retractable dome for the new Soldier Field, the Bears org demanded an open air stadium. That was stupid because of missing all year round revenue the Bears and city of Chicago could've made with Final Fours, SBs, concerts, etc.
2. Let the City of Chicago run the stadium. The Bears should've negotiated that Chicago outsource field maintenance. Year in and year out the field was embarrassing.
3. The stadium looks like an alien landing pad and has the smallest capacity in the NFL.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
Let’s worry about the team results on the field before we go worrying about retractable roof stadiums, who’s cutting the grass and what the stadium looks like.

Bears need to worry about football, not how many non-football events can they put in their stadium.

Personally, I hope the Bears always play in an open-air, natural grass stadium. Green Bay, Denver, Kansas City, Philadelphia, etc. have all proven you don’t need a fancy stadium to have plenty of seating and a good playing surface. Plus, natural grass will always be easier on the players’ bodies.

46FEVER

Liked Posts:
Phillips is probably the worst NFL president there is.
1. Instead of demanding a retractable dome for the new Soldier Field, the Bears org demanded an open air stadium. That was stupid because of missing all year round revenue the Bears and city of Chicago could've made with Final Fours, SBs, concerts, etc.
2. Let the City of Chicago run the stadium. The Bears should've negotiated that Chicago outsource field maintenance. Year in and year out the field was embarrassing.
3. The stadium looks like an alien landing pad and has the smallest capacity in the NFL.
Yeah, another big fail. Bears are under contract with the park district until 2033. Wonder if there is an out if the team is sold. While I like being on the Lake, probably time to move the stadium west and go dome. Will never happen under current ownership.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah, another big fail. Bears are under contract with the park district until 2033. Wonder if there is an out if the team is sold. While I like being on the Lake, probably time to move the stadium west and go dome. Will never happen under current ownership.
A real billionaire like Jerry Jones would be nice. Build a stadium I rather go west or southwest. To stop GB fans from coming to games.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
The team will probably only get a new stadium once the team is sold.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can't say your point obviously doesn't have merit (I mean look at the record), but I am not in the room to know who's been pushing certain agendas. At least if he's the sole GM and has full control, there would be no doubt. And let's not forget he helped stock a New Orleans team which won a Super Bowl...

Did he really? He was director of player and pro personnel not college scouting. Given the Saints continue to be good without him and he has failed thus far here, seems very likely he was not all that instrumental in the Saints being good.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is the second time, and th e second person I've heard this from. Maybe something to it.
I hope you're right but it's likely just the telephone game originating from one questionable source.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't get the hate for Phillips because he isn't making the football decisions or executing the plays. Everybody signed on to hire Ryan Pace--George, Virginia, the board of directors, and other McKaskeys included. Pace was supposed to be the football guy who could draft/put together a team and bring the bears into the modern era. We know that hasn't worked. We see now the culmination of George, Ted, Virginia, and the board were all wrong. They're not going anywhere.

Show me where Ted Phillips overruled Pace during the tenure and directly put his fingerprints on this team and decisions that went into it, this roster, this coach and scheme, then I'll supply the torches, pitchforks, and riot gear.

Regarding the roster, it's all Pace and his decisions. Did Phillips move up 1 spot to take Mitch? Did Phillips chase FA with big $ because he missed on draft picks/FA? Did Phillips have 1 good 1st round pick in 5 years? Did Phillips ignore the OLine and abandon the run game? Did he execute poorly on the field/quit on plays?

There was a time where he was the cheapskate/bad guy. But it's not now. He's been with the organization for almost 40 years and has made them worth 3.52 billion per Forbes. He'd have to retire because he sure as shit isn't getting fired with those results.
Would still be nice to get a football guy that could run the business and hire your GM too, no? You know, rub his tummy and pat his head at the same time. You are absolutely correct that he's rather football meaningless in the day to day but how many shitty GMs do we need to have before somebody is held responsible. Hiring an outsider to pick your GMs is not an acceptable solution.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would still be nice to get a football guy that could run the business and hiring your GM too, no? You know, rub his tummy and pat his head at the same time. You are absolutely correct that he's rather football meaningless in the day to day but how many shitty GMs do we need to have before somebody is held responsible. Hiring an outsider to pick your GMs is not an acceptable solution.

This I agree with. I don't think Philips has much to do at all with football decisions but he and the McCaskey's have overseen the hiring of several failed GMs. You can't fire the McCaskeys so getting rid of Philips is the next best option.

But at the end of the day nothing changes until we actually find a GM that doesn't fuck up the biggest decisions and quite frankly if the McCaskeys have fucked up the GM hire there is no reason to presume they won't fuck up the President of FO hire. So in the end, it just comes down to if they get lucky. Frankly I would write Ozzie Newsome a blank check to let him run FO and bring in whoever he wants.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This I agree with. I don't think Philips has much to do at all with football decisions but he and the McCaskey's have overseen the hiring of several failed GMs. You can't fire the McCaskeys so getting rid of Philips is the next best option.

But at the end of the day nothing changes until we actually find a GM that doesn't fuck up the biggest decisions and quite frankly if the McCaskeys have fucked up the GM hire there is no reason to presume they won't fuck up the President of FO hire. So in the end, it just comes down to if they get lucky. Frankly I would write Ozzie Newsome a blank check to let him run FO and bring in whoever he wants.
This might be all part of moving Pace upstairs. We know they love the guy. He shouldn't be rewarded for at he's done here but he's likely better suited for that position and to hire a GM.

Luke

Liked Posts:
This might be all part of moving Pace upstairs. We know they love the guy. He shouldn't be rewarded for at he's done here but he's likely better suited for that position and to hire a GM.

This would be a terrible scenario.
Lets promote a failed GM into the president of football operations position and let him choose the next GM?
This is the guy who swung and missed at QB and HC so now lets let him strike out on the next GM hire?
My lord this would be so Bears like.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This would be a terrible scenario.
Lets promote a failed GM into the president of football operations position and let him choose the next GM?
This is the guy who swung and missed at QB and HC so now lets let him strike out on the next GM hire?
My lord this would be so Bears like.
Yup but he'd probably be better than Phillips (not) picking a GM.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Yup but he'd probably be better than Phillips (not) picking a GM.

if you're removing Teddy as president then they need to find a Bill Polian type as either the president or as a consultant to hire the next president.
I don't want Pace involved in any more big football decisions.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
if you're removing Teddy as president then they need to find a Bill Polian type as either the president or as a consultant to hire the next president.
I don't want Pace involved in any more big football decisions.
Would be nice but...

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

Pace better not move 'upstairs.'

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This would be a classic Bears move so probably going to happen.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
David Kaplan just said on ESPN Chicago that his source inside Halas Hall told him, “Don’t be surprised if Ted Phillips retires at the end of the season”.
The more the merrier.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cliff Stein hasn't had anything to do with moving/hiding money since 2015. It's now a guy named Joey Laine. And if I recall, Stein was one of the best in the business to stretch cap to get that other guy on a deal that you needed. Not sure how that's a direct indictment of Phillip unless you can show me he kicked Peppers' money down the road to one bad year after cutting him/doing again with Mack now.

Try again.
If Stein was doing it, I guarantee he was "borrowing" from the future and creating future dead cap so that they look good like they are spending all they can.

I was a fan since 1984 and saw them stop spending money. The city got really mad at them and people noticed after the 90's, so from 2001-2015 they went on a dead cap space mission to appear they were spending to the cap, while having uncollected bonus's and weighty extensions that eventually

...just can't spend over the cap. Awww shucks...our bad. 10 million in our pocket again. I hate how that keeps happening.

Wake up.