Kardaius Toney - Buzz

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
A lot of buzz about this guy the last couple of days with a lot of idiot takes on bears going for him. I've seen numerous trade idea's with the bears giving up some combo of at least 2 picks this year or this year and next as high as a 2nd and 3rd or more.
The guy seems to be a talented malcontent, sick and or injury type guy, maybe A Brown lite.
He had Covid 2 times last year plus injuries etc and missed a lot of time having only 1 good game.

There a lot of hype on him going into the draft last year and I think the Giants took him with the 20th pick.

The Giants tried to get a third for S. Barkley who is a proven talent but much injured having no luck so I can't imagine them getting anything close to the above for Toney.

Seems like a failed pick with a lot of issues that we don't need even with his talent.
What do you think?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not all that interested in Toney. I haven't seen that much from him. And certainly wouldn't give up two 2nds. One third? Maybe. Others here may know more about him, be higher on him than I am.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
They have no leverage. Everyone knows Schoen didn’t draft him and apparently doesn’t like him. They’ll be lucky to get a 5th or 6th round pick.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
A lot of buzz about this guy the last couple of days with a lot of idiot takes on bears going for him. I've seen numerous trade idea's with the bears giving up some combo of at least 2 picks this year or this year and next as high as a 2nd and 3rd or more.
The guy seems to be a talented malcontent, sick and or injury type guy, maybe A Brown lite.
He had Covid 2 times last year plus injuries etc and missed a lot of time having only 1 good game.

There a lot of hype on him going into the draft last year and I think the Giants took him with the 20th pick.

The Giants tried to get a third for S. Barkley who is a proven talent but much injured having no luck so I can't imagine them getting anything close to the above for Toney.

Seems like a failed pick with a lot of issues that we don't need even with his talent.
What do you think?
I was clear last year that he was going to be shit and was nothing but hype.

He has a ten cent head. In college, he didn’t start or get a solid number of touches for a while. The last year there, it was manufactured shit. I didn’t see anything from him when he was a prospect and even less as a pro.

My friends who are Giants fans were happy at the pick, and a dude who’s good friend and plays fantasy football loved him and traded for him. I was like, nah man, he’s a million dollar body with a ten cent head. Don’t touch him.

Well, look at him now. People wanted to compare him to Hester. I was like, okay, Hester played DB in college and was not a good WR. In fact, making him a WR took him away from what he did best. I’m trying to remember who they would swap his return duties with, maybe Vasher. Either way, Toney is like what Hester would have been had he not been a good returner: I’m not even sure he’d see the field as a DB. Honestly, does anybody remember Hester playing DB for us at all? Fuck if I know.

Anyway, yeah, Toney was a bum in the draft, last year, and forever. He’s a hard hard pass for me.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I was clear last year that he was going to be shit and was nothing but hype.

He has a ten cent head. In college, he didn’t start or get a solid number of touches for a while. The last year there, it was manufactured shit. I didn’t see anything from him when he was a prospect and even less as a pro.

My friends who are Giants fans were happy at the pick, and a dude who’s good friend and plays fantasy football loved him and traded for him. I was like, nah man, he’s a million dollar body with a ten cent head. Don’t touch him.

Well, look at him now. People wanted to compare him to Hester. I was like, okay, Hester played DB in college and was not a good WR. In fact, making him a WR took him away from what he did best. I’m trying to remember who they would swap his return duties with, maybe Vasher. Either way, Toney is like what Hester would have been had he not been a good returner: I’m not even sure he’d see the field as a DB. Honestly, does anybody remember Hester playing DB for us at all? Fuck if I know.

Anyway, yeah, Toney was a bum in the draft, last year, and forever. He’s a hard hard pass for me.
Toney was always a bum and had one good year where he wasn't even the best weapon on his team.

As for the Hester comment... I think Hester took return duties from Bobbles Wade? I remember when they switched him to WR, and I wanted him to go to RB instead.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not all that interested in Toney. I haven't seen that much from him. And certainly wouldn't give up two 2nds. One third? Maybe. Others here may know more about him, be higher on him than I am.
My Packer friends want Toney and I'm not sure why.

Nothing against Toney, but I'd rather take a WR in this draft with a similar grade w/one more year of control (potentially two years if Toney doesn't work out).

I also don't see rookie GMs making high end deals with each other right out of the gate, either.

baredown

Liked Posts:
If there's any substance to the Giants/Toney rumors, then the fact that the Giants are looking to dump a #20 pick after one year tells you everything you need to know. Essentially, the guy's not worth the $11.2M that he's owed over the next 3 years. The $11.2M guaranteed money is also the reason the Giant's aren't going to cut him this year and get stuck with the giant dead cap hit.

However, it's the Draft season. Statistically speaking, 97.8% of the rumors/buzz floating around on players & draft picks turns out to be speculative nonsense initiated in the media. The Toney buzz smells like part of the 97.8% that's rubbish. The Giants may well be regretting drafting Toney, but they know damn well no one else is taking on the rest of his contract, let alone giving up draft picks for the privilege of doing so...

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If there's any substance to the Giants/Toney rumors, then the fact that the Giants are looking to dump a #20 pick after one year tells you everything you need to know. Essentially, the guy's not worth the $11.2M that he's owed over the next 3 years. The $11.2M guaranteed money is also the reason the Giant's aren't going to cut him this year and get stuck with the giant dead cap hit.

However, it's the Draft season. Statistically speaking, 97.8% of the rumors/buzz floating around on players & draft picks turns out to be speculative nonsense initiated in the media. The Toney buzz smells like part of the 97.8% that's rubbish. The Giants may well be regretting drafting Toney, but they know damn well no one else is taking on the rest of his contract, let alone giving up draft picks for the privilege of doing so...
I agree no surprise the Giants cleaned house with the GM & HC.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The guy has ridiculous talent, you throw a 5th rnd pick at this every day of the week and twice on Sunday. He may bust out but the above posts talking about drafting a similar grade or draft someone like him in the 5th have not seen him play. I am pretty sure he isn't the easiest guy to deal with, but thats why you would be getting 1st round grade talent for a 5th.

Yeah, hope Poles pulls the trigger on one of the 5th rnd WR that play like this,LOL.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Dam, LOL! How ironic is it that the Giants may move off the guy they spent their first 1st round pick we gave them before they spend the 2nd first round pick LOL.

And to think the Giants won the trade when we were able to grab a guy who would be the 1st overall pick in this draft had he stayed back.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Toney was always a bum and had one good year where he wasn't even the best weapon on his team.

As for the Hester comment... I think Hester took return duties from Bobbles Wade? I remember when they switched him to WR, and I wanted him to go to RB instead.
Was that you who suggested he play RB? I remember being shocked and against the idea, at the time, but, looking back, that wasn’t a bad idea — especially when we know how bad of a receiver he was.

As afar as Toney goes, you’re right. He wasn’t the best on the team, and he had a decent year with manufactured touches and barely there coverage.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
My Packer friends want Toney and I'm not sure why.

Nothing against Toney, but I'd rather take a WR in this draft with a similar grade w/one more year of control (potentially two years if Toney doesn't work out).

I also don't see rookie GMs making high end deals with each other right out of the gate, either.
I hope your Packer friends get their wish. I’d like for them to also trade a pick or two for him. FGB.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
I basically never watch the Giants, but they had a game against the Cowboys this season and Toney was absolutely killing it, even with Mike Glennon coming in for a half or whatever it was.

baredown

Liked Posts:
The guy has ridiculous talent, you throw a 5th rnd pick at this every day of the week and twice on Sunday. He may bust out but the above posts talking about drafting a similar grade or draft someone like him in the 5th have not seen him play. I am pretty sure he isn't the easiest guy to deal with, but thats why you would be getting 1st round grade talent for a 5th.

Yeah, hope Poles pulls the trigger on one of the 5th rnd WR that play like this,LOL.
You'd be taking on a 1st round contract for someone whom the team that knows him best is allegedly trying to dump. You're ignoring the contract aspect. Borom's (5th rounder) contract only cost the Bears $333k in guaranteed money over 4 years. This guy's got $11.2M remaining over 3 years, and he hasn't shown anything close to warranting that. I see no way Poles has any interest in taking on a contract like that, nor any other NFL GM for that matter...

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Was that you who suggested he play RB? I remember being shocked and against the idea, at the time, but, looking back, that wasn’t a bad idea — especially when we know how bad of a receiver he was.

As afar as Toney goes, you’re right. He wasn’t the best on the team, and he had a decent year with manufactured touches and barely there coverage.
I did, and I have no recollection of anyone else saying so. But someone else may have and you remember that. I remember pointing out that a sweep with pulling linemen would give him better blocking than Israel Idonije gave him on a return.

Additionally with this Toney talk, I don't follow him specifically. But if after one year a team is ready to give up on a receiver, I question his work ethic. There is no reason that a new coach would want to get rid of an athletic first round receiver otherwise... Any scheme should find room for such a prospect

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I was never a fan of Toney. I'm sure you could find a few pre-draft threads where I predicted him a bust. I was always a fan of Trask and felt Toney highly benefitted from him as his QB.

With that said, that was from the perspective of being a possible 1st round/2nd rd pick. But he does have some speed and has a higher ceiling than anyone we've picked up (aside from Pringle) or is still available in free agency. I'd certainly give a 5th.

He would come in and be one of our top 3 receivers. And even if just for a stop gap, you can't find any better in the latter rounds of the draft.