KC Johnson : Vuc making case as Bulls unsung hero

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Vuc making case as Bulls unsung hero

“Once I was able to figure out my spots on the floor, how to play off different guys, I was able to be a little more aggressive and be more determined with what I do offensively, Vučević said. “I think early on I was also maybe a little bit trying to fit, make sure I get everybody involved and do everything. Once I was able to figure that out, how to be very aggressive to score but also facilitate for others, which is a big part of my game as well, I was just trying to figure the balance of both within my spots.”

“The same way it takes time for me to play with those guys, it’s the same for them to learn how to play with me,” Vučević said, alluding to the new-look Bulls. “I think for big men sometimes you kind of depend on the ball-handlers and the other guys. So it's just figuring that out. I think also lately I've been able to play closer to the basket a little bit. So that was just something I talked to Billy and them (the coaching staff) where before I felt like I was outside a lot and I felt it was hard for me to get in a rhythm if the ball doesn't go in. Now, when I get closer and get some easy ones around the basket and it's easier for me to play.”

Now he needs to keep it going even with Zach back and take it right into the playoffs

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like the idea of letting him get going close to the basket to start instead of always at the top of the key shooting 3s. He's a decent shooter, but his strengths are best used inside the 3pt line imo

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Lost in his recent offensive performance is he actually is trying on defense now. Moving his feet, contesting shots, hustling. Looks like he actually has a pulse now. It’s been very un-Vuc like but as long as he can keep it up I won’t complain.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
It does seem like his good games fly under the radar, but when he has bad games everyone notices and points it out.

I hope we see good Vuc in the playoffs, that's all we need from him. Just show up for the playoffs

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
To me it's more a redemption or comeback story. Not some unsung grinder. When they traded for him this is what he was supposed to do and he's finally coming through. This ain't no underpaid Javonte Green. He's an all-star that we paid all-star prices to get and are paying like an all-star and is getting minutes like an all-star. Just because he sucked and others stepped up and now he doesn't suck as bad doesn't make him unsung.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
To me it's more a redemption or comeback story. Not some unsung grinder. When they traded for him this is what he was supposed to do and he's finally coming through. This ain't no underpaid Javonte Green. He's an all-star that we paid all-star prices to get and are paying like an all-star and is getting minutes like an all-star. Just because he sucked and others stepped up and now he doesn't suck as bad doesn't make him unsung.
Not to mention draft capital and WCJ in addition to the contract. I’m glad he’s giving it his all now, but it’s a bad look it took this long. Like I said though, as long as he keeps it up I’m good

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Not to mention draft capital and WCJ in addition to the contract. I’m glad he’s giving it his all now, but it’s a bad look it took this long. Like I said though, as long as he keeps it up I’m good
He still can't defend the pick and roll, but overall he's played better lately

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that's what I meant by "we paid all-star prices to get" WCJ, beloved OPJ, and 2 first round picks (I think Aminu was a salary throw-in?) to pay him 25M to one year later finally pay off? we had traded all that for 2.5 years, but lost a year on the deal. Which to be fair I give them a pass on last year because he wasn't going to make a difference, but really expected to have this kind of production a full year out of him.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that's what I meant by "we paid all-star prices to get" WCJ, beloved OPJ, and 2 first round picks (I think Aminu was a salary throw-in?) to pay him 25M to one year later finally pay off? we had traded all that for 2.5 years, but lost a year on the deal. Which to be fair I give them a pass on last year because he wasn't going to make a difference, but really expected to have this kind of production a full year out of him.
Pretty sure someone or multiple people got in his ear and gave him a punch in the nuts. I think he got complacent because he was still able to put up solid offensive production and rebounding numbers without going 100%, but his lack of intensity and effort killed us defensively. Also seems to have rejuvenated him offensively as he’s more engaged, confident and aggressive on that end as well.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure someone or multiple people got in his ear and gave him a punch in the nuts. I think he got complacent because he was still able to put up solid offensive production and rebounding numbers without going 100%, but his lack of intensity and effort killed us defensively. Also seems to have rejuvenated him offensively as he’s more engaged, confident and aggressive on that end as well.
I'm super hopeful going forward that TT will be able to take enough minutes to keep him fresh on the defensive end. I guess maybe we'll see tonight.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

Did you even read the article ?

Only 2 other players are doing what Vuc is doing and Vuc is unsung because hes doing it as the 3rd option . To imply that somehow he should be the Orlando Vuc as the 3rd option makes no sense. Its no surprise that Vucs uptick in play came from the team actively and consistently trying to get him the ball inside . Orlando Vuc had a usage of damn near 30 and after his latest tear hes at around 24 but earlier in the season especially before the Covid break his usage rate was consistently in the teens .

Nikola Jokić. Domantas Sabonis. Nikola Vučević..

That’s it. That’s the list.

That’s the full slate of players who are currently averaging at least 18 points, 11.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He still can't defend the pick and roll, but overall he's played better lately
Sometimes I wonder if it's just the scheme that makes him look bad on PnRs, or worse than he actually is. Not that he'd be an amazing PnR defender in a different scheme but just wondering how much it factors...