In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
mack's definitely not a 4-3 DE, and both of those guys are going top 6. bears would have to trade at least their 2nd and 4th round picks.
I believe Mack will do fine as a 4-3 LEO and I would easily trade more than a 2nd and 4th round pick for Clowney any day of the week.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I believe Mack will do fine as a 4-3 LEO and I would easily trade more than a 2nd and 4th round pick for Clowney any day of the week.

We have already been through this before in your thread. We would be sacrificing entirely too much for a single player in trading up for Clowney. It would set us back more than the Cutler trade.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
We have already been through this before in your thread. We would be sacrificing entirely too much for a single player in trading up for Clowney. It would set us back more than the Cutler trade.
That's fine, I agree to disagree with everyone who thinks its too much to give up for Clowney. Opinions are like assholes. I wonder how many people would trade Shea Mac and Bostic for Clowney??? So if I say trade a #1 and #2 pick that's somehow too much?

What are the better options to get an elite players like that....
1. Tanking a season and getting a top #5 pick
2. Waiting for a free agent that costs $100 Million
3. Getting lucky and finding an elite talent later in the draft that every other team missed out on

No thanks, I'll give up a couple picks and take a chance on a special player.

Edit: P.S.
the Cutler trade didn't set us back, having dumb ass OC's and a GM that couldn't fix the OL set us back.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's fine, I agree to disagree with everyone who thinks its too much to give up for Clowney. Opinions are like assholes. I wonder how many people would trade Shea Mac and Bostic for Clowney??? So if I say trade a #1 and #2 pick that's somehow too much?

What are the better options to get an elite players like that....
1. Tanking a season and getting a top #5 pick
2. Waiting for a free agent that costs $100 Million
3. Getting lucky and finding an elite talent later in the draft that every other team missed out on

No thanks, I'll give up a couple picks and take a chance on a special player.

You know dick about trade ups in the first round if you think all it takes is the 14th pick + a 2nd round pick to trade up to take Clowney at #1 or #2 overall which is where he's expected to go.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
You know dick about trade ups in the first round if you think all it takes is the 14th pick + a 2nd round pick to trade up to take Clowney at #1 or #2 overall which is where he's expected to go.
Umm, you mentioned my previous thread so I assumed you already knew what I suggested which was: Trade #14, #51, AND next years #1 for the Rams #2 pick.

Thus they would be swapping #14 for #2.... and giving up a #1 and #2.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That still doesn't add up to #2 and especially not for #1 overall value. Future draft picks are worth less on the trade table than current draft picks.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
That still doesn't add up to #2 and especially not for #1 overall value. Future draft picks are worth less on the trade table than current draft picks.
I agree that future picks are worth probably half as much. There is no exact draft value chart however, some people use the Jimmy Johnson model and some use the harvard analytic model. Either way its close enough that the Rams may bite because they already have #13, and they really don't want a DE they want a OT which they can easily get Taylor Lewan maybe even Robinson with #13.

Every teams situation is different so the Rams could be very happy to get another #1 for next year and a #2 in this draft. It depends on if someone offers them alot more.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
And you know damn well the Cowboys need DTs and won't for a minute hesitate to move up and grab Donald. In fact I anticipate this very thing happening on top of them making a run in at Melton in free agency with a higher cap number.

The Cowboys sit at 16 and the Rams sit at 13 the Rams traded back twice last year and still wound up with the player they coveted. You don't think for a minute they won't trade down and go after a WR they covet if Dallas wants to trade up for Donald?

Emery better be on his toes doing his due diligence with Dallas trying to rebuild their defense in the mold of the Bears.
So re-sign Melton and take the best defensive player on your draft board at 14, or have the Bears trade down with Dallas, gain an extra pick and let them have Donald.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Melton. He's a known commodity, should be relatively "cheap", and depending on how the rest of FA pans out we could actually have decent depth at the tackle position. The draft could then be used to fill another one of the many holes on D; it's not drafting for need when you need just about one of everything(except hopefully D tackle).

I would be pissed if Emery signed Melton and then went and drafted a second 3 tech in the first, fortunately I don't think he's that stupid.

When all is said and done as far as FA goes we could be critically thin a DE while relatively deep at tackle.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Melton. He's a known commodity, should be relatively "cheap", and depending on how the rest of FA pans out we could actually have decent depth at the tackle position. The draft could then be used to fill another one of the many holes on D; it's not drafting for need when you need just about one of everything(except hopefully D tackle).

I would be pissed if Emery signed Melton and then went and drafted a second 3 tech in the first, fortunately I don't think he's that stupid.

When all is said and done as far as FA goes we could be critically thin a DE while relatively deep at tackle.

They need 4 DTs. If they had Melton and Donald plus Paea and Ratliff that would be a pretty solid crew. IMO you can not have too many pass rushers. Carolina went 1,2 on DT in the draft this year and it worked well.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They need 4 DTs. If they had Melton and Donald plus Paea and Ratliff that would be a pretty solid crew. IMO you can not have too many pass rushers. Carolina went 1,2 on DT in the draft this year and it worked well.

Agreed. It would be different if Melton was not injured last year and you had to pay a premium for him. If Donald is the BPA left on defense you draft him, regardless.

BigShoulders

Liked Posts:
So re-sign Melton and take the best defensive player on your draft board at 14, or have the Bears trade down with Dallas, gain an extra pick and let them have Donald.

Why would Dallas trade with the Bears? Pittsburgh isn't taking Donald. If Dallas trades it will be to get ahead of the Bears.

I think Dallas is going to overpay for Melton and it won't be an issue - the Bears will take Donald if they want him.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

Carolina didn't need starters at just about every position... and DEs are pass rushers too, which we pretty much have none of. IMO you simply do not need both Melton and Donald, want sure... but it would be a luxury pick that we cannot afford.

The FA DT market is a lot more appealing than the FA DE market and Emery tends to look at FA value vs Draft value at respective positions. Unless the board doesn't offer anyone even remotely near as talented at their respective position as Donal is at his I think Emery goes elsewhere, and it would be the smart move in my book. Of course this is assuming we sign Melton, Ratiff, etc...

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Under Lovie/Angelo the Bears usually carried five or six DTs on the roster. It seemed crazy at the time but after last year's injury fest I can see why. If four of them are Ratliff, Paea, Melton, and Donald that would be fine.

If Emery passes on Donald because he has someone else rated higher on his board then there better be a plan B. And I prefer it not to be re-signing Wooton to play DT (would rather have him in the DE rotation).

The unanswered question is will Melton ever be near the same player. I am skeptical and would rather let him walk than commit a lot of cap to him.

Defense Wins

Liked Posts:
Melton is gonna be a big question mark, that leg isnt going to get any stronger after surgery with him getting smashed at sports bars...get someone who can stop the run period.