Keep Melton or Draft Donald

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Under Lovie/Angelo the Bears usually carried five or six DTs on the roster. It seemed crazy at the time but after last year's injury fest I can see why. If four of them are Ratliff, Paea, Melton, and Donald that would be fine.

If Emery passes on Donald because he has someone else rated higher on his board then there better be a plan B. And I prefer it not to be re-signing Wooton to play DT (would rather have him in the DE rotation).

The unanswered question is will Melton ever be near the same player. I am skeptical and would rather let him walk than commit a lot of cap to him.

A knee injury isn't nearly as threatening to a career nowadays, so there's no reason to assume Melton won't come back close 100%. But the injury should provide the Bears an opportunity to sign a top five talent on the cheap since no one is going to throw a shit load of money at a player that didn't barley played during a contract year.

I still don't think it would be smart to draft a DT with all the holes we have if we sign a number of tackles in FA, especially with one of them being a top 3 3tech. And if, for some reason, the knee is a major concern then you simply don't sign him at all.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have ZERO idea why the guys on this board think that Melton will be cheap. I don't believe for one second that Melton or Ratliff will be cheap to re sign. Melton has it in his head he's a Franchise Caliber Player after all the Bears Franchised him. While he may be realistic in thinking he isn't worth $8mil a year, I doubt he would want less than $5mil per season and someone like Tampa or Dallas may give it to him. Same for Ratliff. Money was what chased him out of Dallas, what makes anyone think that he will sign for less because he's a Bear?

As of right now, pin your hopes and dreams on Collins getting resigned for cheap and Paea, because those are the only two DT's we have a legit shot at having on the roster. The others are iffy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I try to keep proven commodity.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have ZERO idea why the guys on this board think that Melton will be cheap. I don't believe for one second that Melton or Ratliff will be cheap to re sign. Melton has it in his head he's a Franchise Caliber Player after all the Bears Franchised him. While he may be realistic in thinking he isn't worth $8mil a year, I doubt he would want less than $5mil per season and someone like Tampa or Dallas may give it to him. Same for Ratliff. Money was what chased him out of Dallas, what makes anyone think that he will sign for less because he's a Bear?

As of right now, pin your hopes and dreams on Collins getting resigned for cheap and Paea, because those are the only two DT's we have a legit shot at having on the roster. The others are iffy.

I definitely think there is some team that will give him at least a 4 year deal. What is the bigger gamble Melton comeing back at 100%, or Donald living up to being a NFL 3 Tech of Meltons calibar?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Since you can only pick one out of Henry Melton and Aaron Donald, I would pick to re-sign Henry Melton and then draft a defensive end in the 1st round.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since you can only pick one out of Henry Melton and Aaron Donald, I would pick to re-sign Henry Melton and then draft a defensive end in the 1st round.

You know, with Orakpo being franchised, the pickings at DE are getting slimmer and slimmer. The Bears may be really looking hard at trading down for Ealy. This is yet another reason why I don't see the Bears cutting loose Peppers. There just isn't any body out there to replace him with, either in the draft or in F/A. Especially since we already need 1.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Why would Dallas trade with the Bears? Pittsburgh isn't taking Donald. If Dallas trades it will be to get ahead of the Bears.

I think Dallas is going to overpay for Melton and it won't be an issue - the Bears will take Donald if they want him.
Because the Bears are very interested in Donald, and could take him, and Dallas knows this.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

My hopes and dreams don't involve Nate Collins.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Because the Bears are very interested in Donald, and could take him, and Dallas knows this.

OK.....rephrase the question.

If both the Bears and Dallas want the same guy, why would the Bears trade with Dallas to let them have the guy????

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
You know, with Orakpo being franchised, the pickings at DE are getting slimmer and slimmer. The Bears may be really looking hard at trading down for Ealy. This is yet another reason why I don't see the Bears cutting loose Peppers. There just isn't any body out there to replace him with, either in the draft or in F/A. Especially since we already need 1.

I agree and that is exactly the reason why the Bears can't cut Julius Peppers