Kmet Advanced Stats..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Much better than I thought in terms of separation. 25 out of 33 qualifying TEs. Thats 75% percentile.

Middle of the road in catch percentage at 63% and middle of the road in expected average yards after catch (+.3).

A little surprised by catch percentage numbers, this may be a reflection of some inaccurate QB throws because I didn't see many drops by Kmet this season and thought he showed good hands.

Some of it may be scheme, but he also may be a little more athletic and a better route runner than we are giving him credit for to have such good separation numbers. That's a great number especially for someone that many of us had athleticism concerns about.

Regardless, looks like the Bears picked up a solid starter in Kmet, especially if run blocking continues to improve.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The Bears can build around Kmet, Monty and Mooney.

Come fight me.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ya ive never hd any concerns about kmet. He may not be elite but i think he will have a very solid career and a bigger part of the offense going forward. Maybe work on holding on to the ball better is my only real gripe but i think that has kind of been overblown. Time will tell for sure

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Ya ive never hd any concerns about kmet. He may not be elite but i think he will have a very solid career and a bigger part of the offense going forward. Maybe work on holding on to the ball better is my only real gripe but i think that has kind of been overblown. Time will tell for sure

I am glad you mentioned Fumbling. Per Pro-Football-Reference, Kmet had only 1 fumble and that was a lost fumble, during the last GB game. The numbers don't back up that he has a fumbling problem.

Its clear he doesn't have Kelce athleticism but he can absolutely be a near 800-1000 yard TE and a devastating safety valve for the QB. Cannot ask too much more than that as the Travis Kelce type of TE is a generational thing...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Much better than I thought in terms of separation. 25 out of 33 qualifying TEs. Thats 75% percentile.

Middle of the road in catch percentage at 63% and middle of the road in expected average yards after catch (+.3).

A little surprised by catch percentage numbers, this may be a reflection of some inaccurate QB throws because I didn't see many drops by Kmet this season and thought he showed good hands.

Some of it may be scheme, but he also may be a little more athletic and a better route runner than we are giving him credit for to have such good separation numbers. That's a great number especially for someone that many of us had athleticism concerns about.

Regardless, looks like the Bears picked up a solid starter in Kmet, especially if run blocking continues to improve.

Think you have it reversed on his separation numbers. He was tied for 7th. Although TE separation numbers are a bit misleading as a lot of that is a function of scheme and whether the D pays attention to you or not. Hence why a lot of the guys ahead of him aren't really dynamic TEs.

In the end, I think Kmet profiles as a jack of all trades but master of none. The TE version of Leonard Floyd when he was with the Bears.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am glad you mentioned Fumbling. Per Pro-Football-Reference, Kmet had only 1 fumble and that was a lost fumble, during the last GB game. The numbers don't back up that he has a fumbling problem.

Its clear he doesn't have Kelce athleticism but he can absolutely be a near 800-1000 yard TE and a devastating safety valve for the QB. Cannot ask too much more than that as the Travis Kelce type of TE is a generational thing...

ya and i specifically remember one at the end of the season people gave him shit for but it was overturned bc he was already down.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Although TE separation numbers are a bit misleading as a lot of that is a function of scheme and whether the D pays attention to you or not. Hence why a lot of the guys ahead of him aren't really dynamic TEs

Of the top 4 TE in yards of separation, 2 of those TE's run sub 4.6 40s, the other runs a 4.62, and the 4th is George Kittle.
Tonyan is #1 in yards of separation and ran a 4.58 on his pro day at 6"5'. Yep, those guys aren't dynamic at all....

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If you fumble 10 times and only lose 1, you still fumbled 10 times, just because the ball bounced your way does not mean you did not fumble

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Of the top 4 TE in yards of separation, 2 of those TE's run sub 4.6 40s, the other runs a 4.62, and the 4th is George Kittle.
Tonyan is #1 in yards of separation and ran a 4.58 on his pro day at 6"5'. Yep, those guys aren't dynamic at all....

I didn't say fast. I said dynamic. Only Kittle and Tonyan surpassed 500 yards of the group you mentioned. In addition, Kmet had the lowest targeted air yards of the bunch outside of Drew Sample. Kmet was catching a lot of those bootleg roll outs 5-6 yards down the field and when the bootleg left him uncovered. He had 1 completion of more than 20 yards and only 2 between 10-20 yards. So no not really dynamic at all.

Tonyan had 7 receptions greater than 20 yards and 9 between 10-20 Yards. Kittle was 4 > 20 and 13 > 10 < 20. That is dynamic. Trying to compare guys who caught 16 and 17 passes of more than 10 yards to a guy with only 3 such receptions is laughable.

He is unlikely to develop into a field stretcher but more a reliable checkdown option which still has value but hardly what you would call dynamic.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lmao. Still says only 1 Fumble.
This isn't hard to deduce or even look up.

To be fair, I believe what Hyatt is remembering are a few instances where Kmet in trying to fight for extra yards appeared to lose the ball but it was too close to overturn or he was just down. There may also have been one instance where he was saved by a penalty.

In any event, I think the kernel of truth is he is going to have to balance his desire to fight for yards with getting down when it simply is not worth it. Makes sense to fight when you are one on one or it is 3rd down but when you have 3 guys rallying to the ball on 1st or 2nd down then probably better off taking the yards and getting down.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kmet lost the ball a few times. I wouldn't classify it as an issue.

One fumble was recorded, there was another that was saved on a penalty, Remy is correct about that and may be 1 or 2 more times that were "near" fumbles.

Rightly or wrongly the perception became that he fumbles fighting for yards.

napo55

Liked Posts:
He looks to have been picked too high. At least two other rookie TEs picked later in the draft were more productive. (Okwuegbunan sp? of Denver and Harrison Bryant of Cleveland.)

Kmet seems to lack quickness, but may turn out to be a serviceable player.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He looks to have been picked too high. At least two other rookie TEs picked later in the draft were more productive. (Okwuegbunan sp? of Denver and Harrison Bryant of Cleveland.)

Kmet seems to lack quickness, but may turn out to be a serviceable player.

Lol. This post

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Of course we would spend 2 second round picks to get an average TE while the Packers get a walk on kid from McHenry to become a top flight TE.