Knowledge > Narrative

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
I watched the all 22 for each game except for the monsoon game. Slow day at work. Hehe are my thoughts fwiw:

Play calling is mostly balanced . Rz is pretty bad, I’m sure they’re aware

Kmet is bad. I don’t see the plus blocking, I didn’t watch the run plays though so maybe he’s value there. He slows down in his routes and is soft pass blocking.

EQ is getting open. Mooney too, he is struggling though against better corners.

Herbert is terrible outside of running. Useless.

Fields. He is hesitant at times, more than I’d like but that is very fixable. He is also locking on to one side of the field, not necessarily progressions. That could be a thing they’re telling him to do to slow it down for him, idk.

He has made a few wow throws, one per game. He has done some very brainy things this year, against the packers he caught them lulling on defense and made a 20 yard completion to griffin. Against the Texans he caught them with 12 men on the field, he also had a ridiculous throw against them. He made a wow throw against the giants.

I think the stats are pretty close to accurate, seems like 50% of the time he is dealing with pressure of some sort.

He needs to trust the offense. At times he’s not keeping his eyes down field when he scrambles.

The sacks are probably an even split between him and the OL. The OL is not as bad as the giants game I think Monty in there, it’s not as much of a shit show. Herbert was terrible.

tldr, Fields is holding on to the ball slightly too long on probably 20% of his drops. If he can learn to take the underneath stuff, he will be fine even in this offense. Remy was right on
Further to your point about responsibility for sacks, the PFF guys said on this week's review podcast that they (PFF) credited 3 of Fields' 6 sacks against the Giants to him and the other 3 to the line. Not sure how they do that or whether that's correct or not, but thought I'd share.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Hard for me to participate when I don't even know the way we are all counting.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
If you're saying that Mitch is a better QB than JF, then you truly are delusional. Mitch had better weapons and a better o line.

The scrap heap that we have now is a result of Pace's gross mismanagement of the roster and the cap. I'll defer full judgement on the QB until they put an actual NFL offense around him.

If this is hard for you to understand then I would suggest watching a different sport.
Mitch is a backup QB, thats his skillset.. But yes Mitch at 4 games in year 2 was a MUCH better qb then JF.. Its not even close.

JF is terrible. there is no other way to put it.. You want to point the finger at everyone else but the fact of the matter is JF holds onto the ball WAY to long, JF can not identify WR that are open. JF pocket presence is terrible, those are the problems with JF and has nothing to do with the OL or WRs. JF problems are 100% on him.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Mitch is a backup QB, thats his skillset.. But yes Mitch at 4 games in year 2 was a MUCH better qb then JF.. Its not even close.

JF is terrible. there is no other way to put it.. You want to point the finger at everyone else but the fact of the matter is JF holds onto the ball WAY to long, JF can not identify WR that are open. JF pocket presence is terrible, those are the problems with JF and has nothing to do with the OL or WRs. JF problems are 100% on him.

Yeah, Mitch was also significantly better than Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts through their first 14 games. Neither of which really started to become elite until their teams added elite talent around them. What a weird coincidence right?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Mitch was also significantly better than Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts through their first 14 games. Neither of which really started to become elite until their teams added elite talent around them. What a weird coincidence right?
We are not talking about elite with JF. at this point can JF improve his game to even be considered a back up QB? And bringing in Allen and Hurts is doing JF no favors. Allen was the typical roller-coaster ride you get with developing QBs. His rookie year it was marginal game.. terrible game and then a good game. up and down all year. Allen year 2 he got better (before they added weapons) so he had a BUNCH more good games (6 games over 100QBR) the terrible games went down and the ok games went up as well. He showed he was improving and getting better. Year 3 he took another step and they added weapons.

But again he showed BEFORE the weapons where added that he improved. Thats not what we are dealing with JF. The guy can not process whats happening on the field. Adding a WR is not going to make JF brain work faster. Right now he is a mental midget just like what Grossman was. Defenses can blitz more because there is no worry that he will burn the blitz with a hot read.

Thats what defenses do, identify what you are bad at and attack that. So he has been blitzed 25 times on only 67 pass attempts. Thats a huge %, but why wouldn't the D blitz a QB that has bad pocked presence, holds onto the ball to long and cant process whats happening on the field? I'm surprised its not more to be honest..

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We are not talking about elite with JF. at this point can JF improve his game to even be considered a back up QB? And bringing in Allen and Hurts is doing JF no favors. Allen was the typical roller-coaster ride you get with developing QBs. His rookie year it was marginal game.. terrible game and then a good game. up and down all year. Allen year 2 he got better (before they added weapons) so he had a BUNCH more good games (6 games over 100QBR) the terrible games went down and the ok games went up as well. He showed he was improving and getting better. Year 3 he took another step and they added weapons.

But again he showed BEFORE the weapons where added that he improved. Thats not what we are dealing with JF. The guy can not process whats happening on the field. Adding a WR is not going to make JF brain work faster. Right now he is a mental midget just like what Grossman was. Defenses can blitz more because there is no worry that he will burn the blitz with a hot read.

Thats what defenses do, identify what you are bad at and attack that. So he has been blitzed 25 times on only 67 pass attempts. Thats a huge %, but why wouldn't the D blitz a QB that has bad pocked presence, holds onto the ball to long and cant process whats happening on the field? I'm surprised its not more to be honest..
sure they are blitzing a lot. So what? They are going to keep doing that until they get burned by doing it and they will. I see improvement every game with Fields. You cannot deny how athletic the guy is. His strides are amazing and runs out of leg tackles. he is also improving his movement in the pocket. What his offensive coordinator needs to improve on is letting him leave the pocket early and teach the kid to put pressure on the safeties to leave their guy and come off of them and teach Fields to throw the intermediate passes. They also need to get Kmet more involved as a safety valve.

In short, the OC needs to mold this guy into a Mahomes lite. I think he has the raw tools to be that guy and we cannot forget that Mahomes has proved that one GREAT RECEIVER, in his case a tight end and a bunch of regular guys are enough to be an unstoppable offense.

Last edited:

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
Not when there is massive A gap pressure. Even Rodgers, Brady etc look pretty bad when there is too much A gap pressure.
Wow Trent Dilfer said the same thing in this interview.
He actually spoke somewhat glowingly about Fields play too. Coming from an actual NFL quarterback this is somewhat encouraging.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Wow Trent Dilfer said the same thing in this interview.
He actually spoke somewhat glowingly about Fields play too. Coming from an actual NFL quarterback this is somewhat encouraging.
Maybe. But dilfer speaking glowingly about a QB who has been terrible this season, that’s had maybe 2 good games in 2 seasons, isn’t that encouraging, at least to me. Sure, he played QB. Olin played C. You know who he speaks glowingly about?

thedarkstark

Liked Posts:
Maybe. But dilfer speaking glowingly about a QB who has been terrible this season, that’s had maybe 2 good games in 2 seasons, isn’t that encouraging, at least to me. Sure, he played QB. Olin played C. You know who he speaks glowingly about?

This is bad faith disingenuous trash.

Does Dilfer know Fields personally? Did he tutor and mentor him? Does he have ANY ties with the Bears organization, Ohio State, or any reason at all to cape for Fields?

Olin is a manchild who gets butthurt if you question his greatness or do anything he finds "disrespectful" and since he took Mustipher under his wing he takes it personally when he's called out because he sees it as an insult to his coaching/mentoring.

Not even remotely comparable situations.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
This is bad faith disingenuous trash.

Does Dilfer know Fields personally? Did he tutor and mentor him? Does he have ANY ties with the Bears organization, Ohio State, or any reason at all to cape for Fields?

Olin is a manchild who gets butthurt if you question his greatness or do anything he finds "disrespectful" and since he took Mustipher under his wing he takes it personally when he's called out because he sees it as an insult to his coaching/mentoring.

Not even remotely comparable situations.

Ok, Olin is closer to SM. Big deal. The idea that just because a former pro praises or speaks glowingly about another player, doesn’t mean it’s meaningful or overly encouraging. It’s not disingenuous at all. Former pros are wrong more often than they’re right when analyzing current players. We’ve had what, 16 starts from Fields…and 2 good games?

thedarkstark

Liked Posts:
Ok, Olin is closer to SM. Big deal. The idea that just because a former pro praises or speaks glowingly about another player, doesn’t mean it’s meaningful or overly encouraging. It’s not disingenuous at all. Former pros are wrong more often than they’re right when analyzing current players. We’ve had what, 16 starts from Fields…and 2 good games?
Opinions on 2nd year QB's are always going to split unless they come out of the gate with rare seasons like Mahomes and Watson had. Many people thought Brees, Peyton Manning, and Josh Allen were trash after year 1.

It's encouraging that somebody who knows the game extremely well, broke down the film and pointed out what he did right and what he did wrong, and saw a lot more things he did right than wrong. We're seeing with Tua how much the team around you can effect your play. We're also seeing with Russell Wilson and Matt Ryan how much even a super bowl champ and an MVP can struggle in a new system. We see every week how much Hall of Famers can struggle when getting immediate pressure up the gut.

Bears fans always waiting for a hero to come save the franchise, I got news for y'all it aint going to happen and if it does that hero isn't going to be a QB, it's going to be a GM.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

It absolutely matters that Olin is close with Sam. The fact that you're defending this position is stupid. Dilfer is historically pretty objective in his analysis. Were you a fan of the team during the Cutler era? The dude was always blasting Jay Cutler every chance he got.

Regarding the good games, I would say that he has had 5.5 good games all things considered.

Vs Detroit 2021
@ LV 2021
@GB 2021 (mostly)
Vs SF 2021
@ Pit 2021
Vs SF 2022