Kris Bryant thread

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Any baseball team is in one of 3 modes, win now, play for next season, or look at it in 2 years. While the Cubs have a few options to get under the threshold, the pitching staff is losing up to 3 starters if they decline Lester's option. Now it frees up over $38 M. A lot of that will be eaten by arbitration. IMO, trading Bryant is the most responsible thing they can do because it solves the issue of the CBT this year along with re-stocking the farm some. The Cubs have options to fill in at 3B. Not as good as Bryant, but still there.

The Cubs could trade Bryant and still put out a line up that can score a lot of runs.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Right, you go out and pay 30 million for that guy because you are so impatient that you do not know if you already have him. Kinda reminds me of LaMahieu here. Throw him in with Colvin out to denver because he will never be that guy and our fans are so impatient after waiting a century that we cannot see if we already have that guy.

Your mentality is you never give the guy the chance because he might not do it, not that he might do it. And if he doesnt, you have Happ, Descalso, Bote, Fuckinggarcia, to try while you let your 26 million dollar man off the hook for not being able to do it either. Trade him to some rebuilding club so they can use him.

Nico flew thru the system, hit everywhere he went. AA is where all the prospects are AAA are guys we consider AAAA, tried, failed, never been a had to be spot for players to go. We did it with Schwarber, Minny did it with Bruxton and Rosario, they seem to be doing alright? Remember when Jose Fernandez went from A+ to the majors? RIP If he has it he has it. Armchair GM's say we gotta use all his service time, dont lose that 5th, 6th year of control, gotta keep him down. But you can go out and sign a 20 million dollar guy and watch him hit .230 with a .315 on base and that is ok.

MAybe Theo knows what we have and is prepared to use him and has chosen not to replace him yet. 25th pick in the draft, AA to majors, thats a win, no?

The problem is, you are saying "We can win now, all we need is for this kid to turn out to be a superstar like I want him to be." There's an incredible amount of "how I want it to be" in all of your analyses, I'm afraid...

-Doug

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The problem is, you are saying "We can win now, all we need is for this kid to turn out to be a superstar like I want him to be." There's an incredible amount of "how I want it to be" in all of your analyses, I'm afraid...

-Doug

That was a house cleaning of Jim Hendry. Those guys were going to end up taking up 40 man slots and they tossed them. In reflection Jed did say that they really didn't look at the talent they got rid of Gonzalez who went to the Rangers in rule V and later went to the Astros and Minn on their contending teams.

It was short sited for sure.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

-Doug
we all know Hindsight is 20/20 with world series winning trades regardless of cost, but flat out replacing someone for a spot we have been looking to cover for the past 3 years without even giving him a chance when we cant afford a new superstar does not seem like it makes much sense either.
The chances of him failing are probably alot better than him succeeding, but look at a guy that was passed over for a while, bouncing around the field, playing two or three days a week, second place in MVP voting, who is now on the cover of the MLB game? How much time did we lose with Javy?
Sometimes maybe needs to get a shot before he gets replaced.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'm kind of hoping they do, if they can get a decent return. It really seems like he does not want to be here.
First position player to show up at spring training, gotta think KB is really getting screwed and misunderstood due to bore ass.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
First position player to show up at spring training, gotta think KB is really getting screwed and misunderstood due to bore ass.

Kris is the one that chose to make bore ass his agent. He chose the agent known for turning his players into mercenaries that do not sign extensions, and instead hit FA and go to the highest bidder. That perception is on kris...nobody else

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

That has nothing to do with whether or not he wants to play for the Cubs. I didn't say he hates baseball. Seems he took what the Cubs did pretty personally and would rather play under different management. That's just my perception.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
More about market value. Kap has said 250M is going to be his projected value that he will want. Which is going to be 7/250 or 35M AAV.

Now that decision will fall on Tom not Theo. Most expect the Cubs will go into a semi rebuild and Theo is doing a early Jumpstart. To add the thought is Theo moves on after his contract and they will bring in a new leader.

So Theo is really not going to do anything with out Tom being involved at this point. It is pretty obvious that payroll has caught up to the team with their self developed and they are going to be focusing on a new window vs winning this year.