Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Latest On Carlos Correa’s Market

By Anthony Franco | March 18, 2022 at 6:45pm CDT

Carlos Correa remains on the free agent market, as possible suitors like the Yankees, Phillies, Tigers and Rangers have all seemingly decided not to make a serious run at him this offseason. With less than three weeks to go before Opening Day, a resolution on the Correa front seems likely to arrive sooner than later.
The incumbent Astros haven’t abandoned their pursuit. Houston’s initial five-year, $160MM offer to Correa early in the offseason never seemed especially tempting for the star shortstop. Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic tweeted earlier this week the Astros were preparing a new offer, noting that players in Houston camp were palpably excited about the possibility the team could bring him back.
Asked about the chances of re-upping Correa this morning, Astros GM James Click demurred (video link from Jason Bristol of KHOU). “It’s not something we’re going to comment on one way or the other,” he said before noting that the recent signing of Niko Goodrum strengthened the club’s overall infield depth. Houston also has veteran Aledmys Díaz and top prospect Jeremy Peña as possible options if Correa heads elsewhere. Skipper Dusty Baker called Peña “the frontrunner” among the in-house players at the position this week (via Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle).
Former Astros scouting director Mike Elias — an instrumental factor in Houston’s decision to select Correa first overall in the 2012 draft — is now running baseball operations with the Orioles. That has led to some speculation the rebuilding O’s could get into the mix for the two-time All-Star. There hadn’t previously been any firm indication Baltimore was considering such a move, but Rosenthal wrote last night the O’s could contemplate a run at Correa “if his price dropped to a level the club deemed appropriate.”
That’d require a change in tone from Elias’ comments earlier this week, when he said he didn’t anticipate the Orioles signing any players to multi-year contracts. Making an exception for Correa, though, makes some sense. Beyond Elias’ personal familiarity with the shortstop, Correa’s young enough to anchor whatever core with which the O’s emerge from their rebuild. He’s only 27 years old, and while Correa wouldn’t single-handedly make Baltimore a contender this year, he’d presumably remain an excellent player during 2023-24 campaigns when the O’s expect to be competitive.
Correa to Baltimore remains a long shot, and the caveat that it may require his asking price falling is a notable one. Still, Raul Ramos of Con Las Bases Llenas linked the O’s with Correa before Rosenthal’s report, writing the club may even had put an offer on the table. There’ll certainly be more clarity on Correa’s eventual destination fairly soon, particularly with the other star free agent option at the position, Trevor Story, reportedly nearing a decision.

Sounds like same old Orioles... So they'd be willing to take Correa if he'd drop his price?
Said all 32 teams ever!
Orioles will draft and develop, but never seem to pay.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Twins win the Correa sweepstakes

CSF77

Liked Posts:
3 105 with opt outs every year.

His annual will be 35.1M 2nd to trout.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, the Cubs will compete....they just won't win.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh, the Cubs will compete....they just won't win.

They are interesting now.

Stroman
Hendricks
Miley
Mills
Smyly

Pen
Wick/Robinson. Closer
Martin/Givens set up
Steel/Brault/Norris swing men

Leaves 1 spot for Gessellman or Thompson. Thompson has options so he could start at Iowa which might be the smartest option. At Chi he will be a MR and locked into that role going forward. At Iowa he has the opertunity to prove that he is a starting pitcher.

Starting 9.

Villar 3B
Madrigal/Hoerner 2B
Happ LF
Suzuki RF
Schwindel 1B
Heyward CF (I feel Ross will suck up on this one)
Contreras C
Frazier/Ortega DH
Simmons SS

DH most likely will end up a swing spot but Frazier could change that dynamic if he breaks out.

So the team lacks a true ace a lock down closer and a left hand thumper in the line up. If they keep it close Jed could add at the deadline.

So it really falls on team to prove if it is legit or not.

Right now they are .500. +/- 8 games depending on health and AAAA production.

But they are less dependent on the fluke going into 2022.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I left off Wisdom because of his SO rate. Jed targeted Villar because of this fact. Wisdom will crush a mistake pitch. That is all he is good for. Villar most likely ends up with 20 HR and 25 SB. Far better production and balances a RH power stick line up.

Schwindel makes contact. He doesn't walk or strike out much. So he is co-depenant on BABIP more than any other factor. That is why I dropped him down. Lessen the impact that a luck based hitter brings to the table.

Happ needs protection. He will have pretty decent guys ahead of him and Suzuki behind. So most pitchers are going to have to attack the strike zone with him. Happ fails when he gets into walk mode. Forcing the pitcher to attack forces Happ to be more aggressive.

It is the best way to keep Happ's production up. Most pitchers will want to get him out vs face Suzuki with a guy on base.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
and I repeat......the Cubs will compete because they have a competent manager who will get the most out of a horrible staff but they most certainly will lose.

A lot.

70-75 win team, tops.

But that's to be expected in a rebuild. The Sox were far worse but they also played more kids. Playing Davis and finding another couple of young surprises would be fun to watch as well. If these 30 something slugs Hoyer brought in don't start out well....dump them for a kid to see how he fares on the big stage. Seeing if Suzuki is the real deal....there are some things but winning isn't one of them.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
and I repeat......the Cubs will compete because they have a competent manager who will get the most out of a horrible staff but they most certainly will lose.

A lot.

70-75 win team, tops.

But that's to be expected in a rebuild. The Sox were far worse but they also played more kids. Playing Davis and finding another couple of young surprises would be fun to watch as well. If these 30 something slugs Hoyer brought in don't start out well....dump them for a kid to see how he fares on the big stage. Seeing if Suzuki is the real deal....there are some things but winning isn't one of them.

Reds and Pirates in same Division. Cubs/Stl and Mil will get fat on that diet.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
They are interesting now.

Stroman
Hendricks
Miley
Mills
Smyly

Pen
Wick/Robinson. Closer
Martin/Givens set up
Steel/Brault/Norris swing men

Leaves 1 spot for Gessellman or Thompson. Thompson has options so he could start at Iowa which might be the smartest option. At Chi he will be a MR and locked into that role going forward. At Iowa he has the opertunity to prove that he is a starting pitcher.

Starting 9.

Villar 3B
Madrigal/Hoerner 2B
Happ LF
Suzuki RF
Schwindel 1B
Heyward CF (I feel Ross will suck up on this one)
Contreras C
Frazier/Ortega DH
Simmons SS

DH most likely will end up a swing spot but Frazier could change that dynamic if he breaks out.

So the team lacks a true ace a lock down closer and a left hand thumper in the line up. If they keep it close Jed could add at the deadline.

So it really falls on team to prove if it is legit or not.

Right now they are .500. +/- 8 games depending on health and AAAA production.

But they are less dependent on the fluke going into 2022.
Welp, whomst? What a boring and shite roster, not a dumpster fire but just straight-up mediocre-at-best garbage. Hard pass for 2022.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welp, whomst? What a boring and shite roster, not a dumpster fire but just straight-up mediocre-at-best garbage. Hard pass for 2022.
Dont think so. I think we are in contention with some extra umph. WS champs. Probably not. But, Brennen Davis has to be up this year. A lot of fun pieces. Def worth a watch.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Reds and Pirates in same Division. Cubs/Stl and Mil will get fat on that diet.
Pretty sure the Reds and Pirates are saying the same thing about the Cubs.....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure the Reds and Pirates are saying the same thing about the Cubs.....
No. Even MLBTR believe that the Cubs are in competition mode when asked about trading with the Pads and netting a prospect. Counterproductive.

On SP.

"[There] may be 10 three-inning guys," Hottovy said. "All these guys are really in a similar boat. We're going to try to get all these guys stretched out in a similar fashion."

We may see piggy backs for a month. Miley is up to 15 pitches and behind. Mills has no options. Steel has 1 left and might end up in Iowa starting when the starting 5 are settled. Norris wants to start again but will do what ever it takes.

But there will be a 13 man staff. We might see Stroman and Hendricks on normal work loads and 6 guys soaking up the other 3 rotation dates.

Stroman
Hendricks
Miley/Gessellman
Mills/Steel
Smyly/Thompson.

Last 5

Wick
Robinson
Martin
Givens
Norris

Now I believe that this will end up pretty stable. Nothing sexy but stability. Which factors when your D is on the plus side.

I know peeps want to shit on them. I really don't. I gave them a 89-72 win spread. It is because this team could go either way. Not to mention they have 2 top 100 prospects at AAA to impact the 2nd half winning or losing.

So I am not saying winner. I'm saying could go either way. The team has talent. The question is will it click or not.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I agree on boring. But boring is fine for the regular season. You want a deep team to get through the season.

This year the biggest factor will be depth. Not talent. The lock out pretty much screwed up plenty of players routeens and the late signings will add to this issue. Teams that went for name value run a high risk for imploding due to injury. Philly as one. 1-2 injuries and they are screwed.

Cubs on the other hand attacked it with depth and a expected injury holds little impact due to equal talent in wait and players like Davis and Marquez at Iowa.

A injury to a Miley just gives a rotation spot to Steel. It has minimal impact. A loss to Schwarber... Ya Phil's have nothing.

Loss to Suzuki Davis gets a early promote.

So I really can't write them off. Not sexy but most tools in the toolbox are boring. The cool ones are not used enough to be worth the investment.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
No. Even MLBTR believe that the Cubs are in competition mode when asked about trading with the Pads and netting a prospect. Counterproductive.

On SP.

"[There] may be 10 three-inning guys," Hottovy said. "All these guys are really in a similar boat. We're going to try to get all these guys stretched out in a similar fashion."

We may see piggy backs for a month. Miley is up to 15 pitches and behind. Mills has no options. Steel has 1 left and might end up in Iowa starting when the starting 5 are settled. Norris wants to start again but will do what ever it takes.

But there will be a 13 man staff. We might see Stroman and Hendricks on normal work loads and 6 guys soaking up the other 3 rotation dates.

Stroman
Hendricks
Miley/Gessellman
Mills/Steel
Smyly/Thompson.

Last 5

Wick
Robinson
Martin
Givens
Norris

Now I believe that this will end up pretty stable. Nothing sexy but stability. Which factors when your D is on the plus side.

I know peeps want to shit on them. I really don't. I gave them a 89-72 win spread. It is because this team could go either way. Not to mention they have 2 top 100 prospects at AAA to impact the 2nd half winning or losing.

So I am not saying winner. I'm saying could go either way. The team has talent. The question is will it click or not.
How is trading for Hosmer and a prospect counterproductive? Hosmer would make the team better. He's still a good player, he just hasn't lived up to his contract

CSF77

Liked Posts:
How is trading for Hosmer and a prospect counterproductive? Hosmer would make the team better. He's still a good player, he just hasn't lived up to his contract

The idea behind it is the Cubs would have to give up something of value to the Pads.

Say Happ for Hosmer and a prospect.

The better the prospect the less SD eats on the deal

If they were 100% rebuild then sure. Take on Hosmer who btw is ranked lower than Schwindel as 1B going in. Happ becomes expendable. Get a arm in return. Works fine.

Signing Suzuki forced a competitive push. You don't sign a talent like that and give him nothing to work with. Jed and Tom have to hold up their end now.

That is why a flurry happened post signing. It changed the dynamic of 2022.

Hey I could see this year being a upstart team playing over their heads. Then they get Marquez and Davis and all of a sudden have a deep farm and payroll to turn it into a legit contender.

I see it as they need a Ace a closer and a LH bat that splits up Davis and Suzuki. Right now the market lacks this. Teams are really not looking to trade in S/T. That is a exception vs the rule.

I expect the deadline to be busy either way. In it they will add. Not in it they will subtract. Simple as that.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The idea behind it is the Cubs would have to give up something of value to the Pads.

Say Happ for Hosmer and a prospect.

The better the prospect the less SD eats on the deal

If they were 100% rebuild then sure. Take on Hosmer who btw is ranked lower than Schwindel as 1B going in. Happ becomes expendable. Get a arm in return. Works fine.

Signing Suzuki forced a competitive push. You don't sign a talent like that and give him nothing to work with. Jed and Tom have to hold up their end now.

That is why a flurry happened post signing. It changed the dynamic of 2022.

Hey I could see this year being a upstart team playing over their heads. Then they get Marquez and Davis and all of a sudden have a deep farm and payroll to turn it into a legit contender.

I see it as they need a Ace a closer and a LH bat that splits up Davis and Suzuki. Right now the market lacks this. Teams are really not looking to trade in S/T. That is a exception vs the rule.

I expect the deadline to be busy either way. In it they will add. Not in it they will subtract. Simple as that.
Hosmer is ranked lower than Schwindel by who? Schwindel has played half a season and is bad defensively. Hosmer could play 1st and gives you a LH bat which you need and Schwindel can dh. Idc if they trade happ for him and a prospect. They'd be a better team in the short term and long term. I'd also sign Conforto to add more LH hitting to the lineup.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hosmer is ranked lower than Schwindel by who? Schwindel has played half a season and is bad defensively. Hosmer could play 1st and gives you a LH bat which you need and Schwindel can dh. Idc if they trade happ for him and a prospect. They'd be a better team in the short term and long term. I'd also sign Conforto to add more LH hitting to the lineup.

Zips etc has Hosmer anywhere from .1 to .9 fWAR.

The bat snubbed Schwindel at .1 WAR. Rest have him between .8-1.3.

That is pretty fair. Hosmer has 4 years left and is basically Heyward limited to 1B.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Zips etc has Hosmer anywhere from .1 to .9 fWAR.

The bat snubbed Schwindel at .1 WAR. Rest have him between .8-1.3.

That is pretty fair. Hosmer has 4 years left and is basically Heyward limited to 1B.
Heyward has had maybe one year with this cubs that has been as good as almost any year of Hosmers career. Hosmer is basically a .270 hitter without a lot of power, but he doesn't strikeout much either and will play solid defense. I think he's actually pretty Underrated simply because he doesn't have much power and has a dumb contract. He's not a bad player.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you are going to take on contract then take on a piece that turns the dial.

Right now Marquez is at camp. Ross said take our time. Code word AAA and pitch limit and extended spring.

Marquez is like I'll do anything to be on the MLB team. He had a taste and will go to the pen if that is what the team needs.

Over all with him and Davis in Jed's hip pocket he is in decent shape right now. He needs a closer he has that. Higher leverage starter. Ya that could also be a thing. Then add Alzolay in the 2nd half it changes the dynamic.

So yes I see the biggest need as a LH bat going forward. If we were talking about Freeman then yep we are singing the same song. Hosmer is a lame duck and a albatross of a deal for a team that is in a 1 year transition and could take on contract that actually improves the team.