Kris Bryant to the Rockies - 7 years $182M

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Heyward has had maybe one year with this cubs that has been as good as almost any year of Hosmers career. Hosmer is basically a .270 hitter without a lot of power, but he doesn't strikeout much either and will play solid defense. I think he's actually pretty Underrated simply because he doesn't have much power and has a dumb contract. He's not a bad player.

Ya but that is SD's problem. Jed can just sit on Jason this year and eat the last year and let Davis start in CF. Done deal.

Schwindel bombs out no big deal. Jed ass cans him and moves the next guy up and pinpoints that for the deadline.

Reality is Jed doesn't need to take on garbage right now.

Hosmer is ok. But he is a guy on a bad team doing 1B work. IE back to KC. Not on a team that can invest into a real LH masher.

Shoot if Was gets it's ass handed to them Jed should look at Bell.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
So far, no homer runs(even playing half the games at coors field) and a negative WAR for KB…granted only like 18 games into the season so far. Looking like the Cubs we’re smart to let someone else pay him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So far, no homer runs(even playing half the games at coors field) and a negative WAR for KB…granted only like 18 games into the season so far. Looking like the Cubs we’re smart to let someone else pay him.
It was time with him. 26M per was a bit of a risk on a guy that shut down and finally picked it back up on his walk year.

I always questioned his will to win. Correa would have been a solid pick up but yet again. When he switched to Boras Jed never followed up.

That is the real problem going on with the Cubs. The Ricketts save cash by tossing cast off AAAA players on the field. Trade away any money issues for more cheap assets. Then target under market deals.

And with the savings? Try to buy a English Football team? Really?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Actually it wouldn't shock me if they were looking for another market for Marquee sports. Notice not called Cubs sports.

Buy a English Football team. Push games on station. Create a whole new market.

All on the Cub profits.

Like I said, it would not shock me at all. Marquee is almost unwatchable right now. Adding some crazy English fans getting into a brawl. Get the popcorn.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
@CSF77 you do realize that English football team according to Forbes is worth 3.2 billion. For perspective, the cubs are worth 3.8 billion. Pretty sure it wouldn’t be building it all “off of cubs profits” as you claim. Also, ricketts already withdrew the offer

CSF77

Liked Posts:
@CSF77 you do realize that English football team according to Forbes is worth 3.2 billion. For perspective, the cubs are worth 3.8 billion. Pretty sure it wouldn’t be building it all “off of cubs profits” as you claim. Also, ricketts already withdrew the offer

After the fact.

And yes English Football is a big as the NFL. Fans will fight.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Kris will now avg 50 bombs a year because launching pad says so.
22 games into the season and still waiting for KB’s 1st homerun as a rockie ???

CSF77

Liked Posts:
22 games into the season and still waiting for KB’s 1st homerun as a rockie ???

On the DL also. Shoot Rizzo is feasting in NY ATM. Should have kept him.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
It was time with him. 26M per was a bit of a risk on a guy that shut down and finally picked it back up on his walk year.

I always questioned his will to win. Correa would have been a solid pick up but yet again. When he switched to Boras Jed never followed up.

That is the real problem going on with the Cubs. The Ricketts save cash by tossing cast off AAAA players on the field. Trade away any money issues for more cheap assets. Then target under market deals.

And with the savings? Try to buy a English Football team? Really?
1. They aren't cheap, they went over the luxury tax when they were trying to win the WS 3 of the last 5 years.
2. They can buy whatever they want, without it effecting their MLB team.
3. They are no longer trying to buy a soccer team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1. They aren't cheap, they went over the luxury tax when they were trying to win the WS 3 of the last 5 years.
2. They can buy whatever they want, without it effecting their MLB team.
3. They are no longer trying to buy a soccer team.

Jed made 2 good signings this off season. The rest was filler until more talent upwells.

But realistically speaking. The Ricketts could have funded another 200M roster. The fact that they saved 50M and pushed that cash towards a English football teams proves this.

It is irrelevant that they pulled it back or not. That was after the fact. What matters is the play was even offered with a scrapped together franchise that houses one of the largest followings in baseball.

Regardless I'm done crying over spilt milk. Yes Jed could have targeted Correa with that cash. Yes he could have targeted Rodon with that cash. Those two would have cost around 55M. Jed chose Simmons and Smyly instead.

This team would be in a different spot with that happening. To the point that Madgral might become expendable with Nico proving to be a GG caliber MI and a decent contact hitter.

Yet again I'm not here to cry about it. There are far better posters on board at doing that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just like a certain poster scoffed after I brought this up. Well...

May 3: LHP Drew Smyly placed on bereavement list; RHP Robert Gsellman selected from Triple-A
Smyly, who was slated to start on Tuesday night vs. the White Sox, will have to miss a minimum of three games -- and a maximum of six. Gsellman has been stellar at Iowa, posting a 1.17 ERA over five appearances (four starts)

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Jed made 2 good signings this off season. The rest was filler until more talent upwells.

But realistically speaking. The Ricketts could have funded another 200M roster. The fact that they saved 50M and pushed that cash towards a English football teams proves this.

It is irrelevant that they pulled it back or not. That was after the fact. What matters is the play was even offered with a scrapped together franchise that houses one of the largest followings in baseball.

Regardless I'm done crying over spilt milk. Yes Jed could have targeted Correa with that cash. Yes he could have targeted Rodon with that cash. Those two would have cost around 55M. Jed chose Simmons and Smyly instead.

This team would be in a different spot with that happening. To the point that Madgral might become expendable with Nico proving to be a GG caliber MI and a decent contact hitter.

Yet again I'm not here to cry about it. There are far better posters on board at doing that.
I was pounding the table for Rodon and Headley, but I felt both got a lot more money than what the risk was. I don't really blame them for that, although hindsight being 20/20 it would have been the right move. As for Correa, his contract dictates he can still be had next year. That saga isn't over yet.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was pounding the table for Rodon and Headley, but I felt both got a lot more money than what the risk was. I don't really blame them for that, although hindsight being 20/20 it would have been the right move. As for Correa, his contract dictates he can still be had next year. That saga isn't over yet.

I put it as the Boras factor on a flat no when it comes down to it.

My opinion is not so fancy

Horner has been better than expected at SS.
Madgral will hit.
Simmons will be back

With these 3 Villar should be pushed into DH work.

Rivas has shown some crazy lead off abity. Fighting off pitches to run up a 14 pitch walk. You have to roll with that

This puts Ortega out of a job.

So the natural choice is Simmons returns. Ortega DFA. Villar full time DH. Rivas starting 1B.

Line up

Rivas 1B. Villar DH vs LHP
Suzuki RF
Happ LF
Contreras C
Villar DH vs RHP Schwindel 1B vs LHP
Wisdom 3B
Heyward/Hermosillo CF I do not like this platoon but Jed is holding back Davis right now.
Hoerner SS
Madgral 2B

So I believe a big issue right now is Villar being forced into UI duty. He is a poor defender. And it cuts his strongest asset. His PA's and regular play.

Now as far as the rotation is concerned.

Miley will be starting a rehab. Mills had a set back.

Jed already promoted Gsellman.

So I would make Gessellman my 5. Lock him in until the deadline.

When Miley returns push Steel to the pen.

Hendricks
Miley
Stroman
Smyly
Gsellman

MR
Mills, and Steel Thompson

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The early seasons of rebuilding are ugly to watch. The fact is that little more than 10 of the players that are out there right now will be back in the next season or two. Hopefully. Shuffling garbage players around on a 70 win team has no interest whatsoever. Who starts, who is in the pen, who the DH is....who the fuck cares? They will only be interesting when they start integrating some of the youth they are collecting. Until then, I will continue to watch an inning or two per game at which time I will be either dozing off or reaching for the remote control.

Don't get me wrong.....they are doing what they need to do. That fact doesn't make it any easier to watch. At the end of the day, it's just a lot easier to read a box score.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The early seasons of rebuilding are ugly to watch. The fact is that little more than 10 of the players that are out there right now will be back in the next season or two. Hopefully. Shuffling garbage players around on a 70 win team has no interest whatsoever. Who starts, who is in the pen, who the DH is....who the fuck cares? They will only be interesting when they start integrating some of the youth they are collecting. Until then, I will continue to watch an inning or two per game at which time I will be either dozing off or reaching for the remote control.

Don't get me wrong.....they are doing what they need to do. That fact doesn't make it any easier to watch. At the end of the day, it's just a lot easier to read a box score.

That is a fair point.

My reasoning is pretty simple.

Miley has trade value.
Gsellman has trade value.
Villar has trade value

Rivas has lead off skills and should be tested there.

So no this is not a our winning now. More so winning later.

Bust

Liked Posts:
!! Thank goodness the Cubs parted ways !!

Bryant has been an injury prone trash player since he left the Cubs. Probably hoped to pad stats at Coors field

Oooops!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bellinger has a swing that should be reliable for the duration of his career. It's Tony Gwynn pretty without the quick twitch ability.

I think his regression and resurgence is shift related and due to pitchers adjusting target planes. ?? Anyway..

Now having escaped Bryant, Bellinger won't look as pretty at 20M per but it still feels like a good move in my gut. I think you can invest in that swing.

Suzuki, plus the farm, and Steele/Hendricks/Stroman...this team is actually good and i think they can get to the playoffs, as other national league contenders are not great.

I'm surprised they turned it around so quick but it turns out jettisoning Baez/Contreras/Bryant/Rizzo were all good individual decisions.

I deserve some crow on the blow up of team. Criticism of ownership and GM.

My Sox are worse off than we started with Sale/Eaton hauls.