Kyle Long contract extension

broughtupbears

Liked Posts:
I haven't really seen this discussed and was wondering what the boards thoughts were on the issue of extending kyle longs contract.

It would seem like a no-brainer to me from the Bears perspective. He had a down year, albeit not because of his skill set or talents, but instead because he was played out of position and still was a pro bowler. That said I'm wondering if now would be the opportune time to extend his contract to show the bears value for a team player. I say reward him for being a team player and create some locker room cohesion via extending players that are team players and successful.

What do you guys think?

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you'll find anyone that disagrees with extending Long. Although with a 5th year team option in 2017, there's really no rush.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Read somewhere that he said he approached the Bears about it and they said no, so he moved on.
Apparently, he still plans on attending OTA's and reading the playbook this off season.

Imagine they wanted to establish that he was going to negotiate the next contract as a pro bowl guard not a pro bowl tackle.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I haven't really seen this discussed and was wondering what the boards thoughts were on the issue of extending kyle longs contract.

It would seem like a no-brainer to me from the Bears perspective. He had a down year, albeit not because of his skill set or talents, but instead because he was played out of position and still was a pro bowler. That said I'm wondering if now would be the opportune time to extend his contract to show the bears value for a team player. I say reward him for being a team player and create some locker room cohesion via extending players that are team players and successful.

What do you guys think?

There's no rush to get that done cause K.Long isn't going anywhere and when the time is right Pace will sit down with his agent and get him under a new contract.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Read somewhere that he said he approached the Bears about it and they said no,

What a complete piece of shit. Fucking locker room cancer. How dare he ask for this. Time to trade his dissident non-conformist ass for a 5th or 6th rounder.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
What a complete piece of shit. Fucking locker room cancer. How dare he ask for this. Time to trade his dissident non-conformist ass for a 5th or 6th rounder.

Not even 10 am and you're already off to a great start.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No need to lock him up yet. I'm sure it'll happen though.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Extending guys with 2 years left on his deal is a dangerous precedent to start. You see what happened in Seattle, they did it for Marshawn and then Chancellor and Bennett were knocking at their doors.

After the 2016 season, the Bears will extend Long and fold his 5th year option into the new deal.

2017; 5th year option 8 million

4 year 44 million extension [11 million/season]

5 years 52 million/35 guartanteed

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's an idea guys. I know don't have a lot of good ones, but this may be the best one yet.

We take the Cutler forum and move Mongo and all of his posts over there.

Thoughts?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Offensive player... Check
Not happy with current contract... Check
Underperformed... Check - allowed as many sacks in 2015 as Webb did in 2012 for the Bears
Criticized the fans... check
conflicts with team... check

6th round pick for Long... I'm sure Pace is shopping

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Extending guys with 2 years left on his deal is a dangerous precedent to start. You see what happened in Seattle, they did it for Marshawn and then Chancellor and Bennett were knocking at their doors.

After the 2016 season, the Bears will extend Long and fold his 5th year option into the new deal.

2017; 5th year option 8 million

4 year 44 million extension [11 million/season]

5 years 52 million/35 guartanteed
Depending on cap available, I would not be surprised to see a deal any time between now and the end of the 2016 season.

$8M is the salary of the highest paid, newly signed, RG in football, so there is no advantage to the Bears to using the option year and $11M / year is top 5 LT money, so that ain't gonna happen. Wrapping him up early would give the Bears a better price, while giving him an early payday and financial security.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's no rush to get that done cause K.Long isn't going anywhere and when the time is right Pace will sit down with his agent and get him under a new contract.

I could see it now. Long comes in and Pace is sitting at the table with his six shooter with three notches on the gun and a file in his right hand. Long looks up from the table and sees three pictures of guys with Xs covering their faces. Pace looks up and says....Are you ready? Are you ready, punk? Go ahead. Make my day:)

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I could see it now. Long comes in and Pace is sitting at the table with his six shooter with three notches on the gun and a file in his right hand. Long looks up from the table and sees three pictures of guys with Xs covering their faces. Pace looks up and says....Are you ready? Are you ready, punk? Go ahead. Make my day:)

Wtf are you even talking about?