Larry Borom- Bears scout breakdown

mikeyk

Liked Posts:

Seems like the Bears really did their homework on this pick too. Have to like that he did all this against SEC competition, and only gave up 2 sacks in his college career.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Strange that the scouting report for him were so negative on his ability to be an OT at the NFL level. He's definitely not what I would call "light footed" but at the same time he doesn't look terrible, I don't think he looks slower than Massie did last year. Does need to work on his kneebend, his movements look stiff at times, and will probably always have fits with smaller speed rushers, but how many Von Millers are there in the league? Maybe NFL level flexibility program will help.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Rumor was Denver was hoping to get him, but the Pace got to him first. Didn't watch the video, but I've seen some things about him projecting to guard, which is unfortunate if true. If QB is the hardest position to scout, OT must be the second.

In any event, I'm going to call him Mt. Borom.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Rumor was Denver was hoping to get him, but the Pace got to him first. Didn't watch the video, but I've seen some things about him projecting to guard, which is unfortunate if true. If QB is the hardest position to scout, OT must be the second.

In any event, I'm going to call him Mt. Borom.
He said they view him as a tackle first but he could kick inside as he has experience there. Was playing around 350 but slimmed down to 322 for his pro day. They love his consistency from snap to snap. They talked about how he gave up 0 pressures against Alabama in 44 passing downs.

No pick in the 5th round is without risk or flaws. I'm just glad to see Pace investing in the position. Teven Jenkins is a day 1 starter and they probably think Borom can compete for a spot or at least be good enough to carry on the active roster.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He looks more like a tackle than guard to me in the small amount of film I've seen on him.

Not really a road grader, more of a position blocker but I loved his pass sets, quick and on balance.

Last edited:

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
I was definitely expecting more of an aggressive run blocking guy based on his size and the couple scouting reports I saw, but his pass pro was what stood out. Good drop set and puts himself in a position to be successful almost every play. Run blocking was good too, but he seems to try to absorb guys rather than steamroll them. That’s not bad, but after watching Jenkins it was a little bit of a let down.

At times Borom looked too big for his own good so it’s nice to hear that he cut it back to 320 for his pro day.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Tackle first is what I've been saying. The Bears mentality has historically been anyone can play oline and that includes OT on either side. If we picked someone higher than 7th who has the ability to play OT you can bet they're hoping he can play OT in the NFL and will be trying him there at least in training.

Comparing his college film to Leno or Massie in the NFL he's a lightyears better than those two. He can control his assignment and not just push them into the QB after he misses the block.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Strange that the scouting report for him were so negative on his ability to be an OT at the NFL level. He's definitely not what I would call "light footed" but at the same time he doesn't look terrible, I don't think he looks slower than Massie did last year. Does need to work on his kneebend, his movements look stiff at times, and will probably always have fits with smaller speed rushers, but how many Von Millers are there in the league? Maybe NFL level flexibility program will help.
I am sure that he will look at least a little bit better seeing that he lost 30 pounds during the offseason.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gave up 2 sacks his entire college career?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
How great would it be if he was able to take over at RT and Jenkins at LT?

Reactions: Myk

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
if he can develop into a starter at RT next season that’s huge. i would still take a RT early next year for competition, but we will have holes at WR, CB, S, and MLB too

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He looks more like a tackle than guard to me in the small amount of film I've seen on him.

Not really a road grader, more of a position blocker but I loved his pass sets, quick and on balance.
This and why I said to not be surprised to see him compete at LT. He was a little sloppy and not as quick as you want at 350 at LT but at 320, he's got a shot.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Maybe he’s your LT and Jenkins is your RT?

Liked Posts:
How great would it be if he was able to take over at RT and Jenkins at LT?
Thats EXACTLY what they should do. Ive always believed in building an NFL roster through drafting, but well understood that rookies would have to either sit or play in a limited capacity when the league was dominated by 30 year old vets.

However those days went up in smoke the day that the heavily disputed 2011 NFL CBA was agreed upon and signed off on with the rookie salary cap.

Since that 2011 CBA the league has gradually become more and more of a youth movement. The days of rookies needing to gradually assimilate are a dying era.

These kids that get drafted into the pro level are going to play against a league abundant with familiar faces that are only a year or two removed from the collegiate process themselves.

Id much rather be a team that has its struggles from young kids with upside learning the roaps, than struggle from free agents with multi million dollar contracts who look like they lived in an all you can eat buffet or cant go because of their aches and pains.

These kids get drafted and no one wants to be on the field more than they do.

So dammit, throw them to the hounds, theyll be fine...