Larry Borom Scouting Report.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
He's definitely big enough to play tackle who knows a swing guy with a nasty streak in the 5th lets get this o line shored up with some depth

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Yes not sure why people think Daniels will be around long term.
daniels was the best lineman we had last season. i suspect he will be around long term and still don’t mind this pick. depth at OL is always a positive.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
daniels was the best lineman we had last season. i suspect he will be around long term and still don’t mind this pick. depth at OL is always a positive.

That is like arguing who is the tallest midget. Daniels missed most of the better teams we faced. He had a 49 grade against the Bucs before he got injured. He has never finished a season with a PFF grade above 70. Keep in mind Leno and Massie both had grades above 70 and that is with playing he easy schedule Daniels faced while also having to face tougher teams that Daniels missed due to injury.

And the reality is if if Ifedi is getting 5 million then Daniels will likely go for 7-10 million in FA and with us probably looking for a new LT next year, I would rather we not pay Daniels that unless he actually has a pro bowl caliber season. Better to just keep drafting OL.

Daniels has simply not flashed enough for me to invest a ton of money in him when he is at best a marginal upgrade over guys making chump change. I will end by saying that of the experienced guys on our roster he and Ifedi are the only 2 guys that have never hit a 70 grade in a season. So unless there is just some vast conspiracy to under grade him relative to Whitehair, Leno and Massie, I think we should come to terms with the fact his suckiness flys under the radar of Bears fans. He is simply not all that good.

Last edited:

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Scheme Fit: Gap/power heavy rushing offense.

Ummmm.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Yes not sure why people think Daniels will be around long term.
Hard to say. He was playing well before that shitty injury. Coming in at 20 years old he definitely made a big leap in strength. He was moving people.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hard to say. He was playing well before that shitty injury. Coming in at 20 years old he definitely made a big leap in strength. He was moving people.

And yet his grades were still not all that great. Look if he improves then fine but again don't want to pay 7-10 million for a middling G. I think Daniels rep is a lot better on here than the metrics would suggest.

diceydon

Liked Posts:

PROSPECT SUMMARY - LARRY BOROM

Larry Borom projects as a fringe NFL offensive lineman. Borom, who leaves Missouri as a multi-year starter who has logged reps at both tackle and on the interior, does not inspire a great deal of enthusiasm with his functional athleticism and range as a blocker. But with his stature and strong hands, Borom feels destined to gather a look somewhere in the NFL due to some of the more uncoachable dynamics at play with his game. The big question for him is how much untapped potential he can provide an NFL franchise. If a team comes away convinced they can tap into more functional athleticism, he may surprise with his draft stock. But based on the film, he’ll be challenged to secure a 53-man roster role in the league.

Ideal Role: Practice squad offensive lineman.

Scheme Fit: Gap/power heavy rushing offense.

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Kyle Crabbs
Games watched: Alabama (2020), LSU (2020), Kentucky (2020)

Best Game Studied: Kentucky (2020)
Worst Game Studied: Alabama (2019)
Competitive Toughness: Borom illustrates needed upper-body strength to deliver powerful blows and plaster interior rushers with a firm punch. With hands secured he’s quite bullish and can successfully eat power rushes. But those who can stress his outside (or inside) hip will force his base to deteriorate and much of his appeal as a powerful set of hands goes out the window. He offers sufficient backside effort to try to work into cutoff positioning.

Balance: Because of his high hips and poor knee bend, Borom is too often caught out overtop of his toes and his foot speed is restrictive in allowing him to recover. When climbing to the second level, he’s insufficient with his range and blocking radius to envelop or season against flow that scrapes overtop of the play.

Anchor Ability: If Borom is able to establish hands on the frame, he can successfully absorb power. But too often he’s high-hipped and will be easily torqued and turned out of positioning. A lack of bend and leverage are problematic and don’t provide easy solutions.

Lateral Mobility: He’s sorely lacking in the needed mobility and range to successfully mirror on the edge. Furthermore, twitched defenders on the interior are likely to also claim wins against him in penetration reps.

Power at P.O.A.: When his hands catch flush, Borom offers a notable amount of push and can sustain forward momentum in tight quarters. Too much room to work will see defenders laterally pull off blocks and his base spin, so playing on the interior should afford him the best chance to continue vertical momentum.

Hand Technique: Borom does well to secure and sustain his hands, he offers plenty of punch power and transitioned through a secured stab to set hands and stay sticky. If the team looks to run right off his hip, he can maintain his block long enough to allow the ball-carrier to slip through.

Football IQ: Borom’s projection is bolstered by having played so many positions. He appears to have viable assignment retention and can absorb a lot of information. But with that said, his functional application of skills and real-time reactive quickness is not where you’d like it.

Versatility: Borom offers playing experience at both guard and tackle, but he lacks the functional athleticism to play on the edge and successfully steepen angles outside. His projection will be exclusively on the interior at the NFL level.

Pass Sets: Borom played predominantly right tackle in 2020, but his functional athleticism to drive out of his stance or flip and carry vertical pass rush tracks will yield a soft cushion around the edge. Inside, he’s best suited to quick set in effort to get established and gather his full frame directly in front of rushers.

Flexibility: Borom shows significant rigidness through his hips and frame. Pad level will be an issue, as will range of motion and to drive and redirect with any level of twitch.

SCOUT GRADES

TDN Consensus: To Be Determined
Kyle Crabbs: 63.5/100

Attachments

• 75FFC29F-ED33-47C7-BCD1-9DF3834DB4B4.png
    75FFC29F-ED33-47C7-BCD1-9DF3834DB4B4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's what I was going to say. If nothing else, the Bears are definitely trying to bring in more nasty to the offensive line room.

Frankly, they haven't had a player who was really nasty since Kyle Long, and before that they haven't had a line with multiple players who had that nasty edge to them since Olin krutz and John Tait were on the same line, and that nasty rubbed off on other guys like Garza and Brown (and guys who didn't have nasty got weights thrown at their head - looking at you Miller ? ).

They are bringing a more nasty physical group into the offensive line room. I would argue it started last year with hambright and "Pig" but now they are bringing even more in and bringing higher caliber of talent in with that nasty.
Agree...as a poster on the old Blackhawks message boards would say, they're trying to add some "truculence" to the O line.... definitely a good thing. I'd like it a lot of "visitors" to the Bears backfield were made to feel downright unwelcome.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
This guy looks like a scrub, imagine the voicemails Incognito would leave this guy

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
When you’re down to 3 6th rd picks, yes. Fuck you very ‘much.
But......................................
tenor.gif

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I remember the pics of him looking like a beast that put in serious work in the offseason when he was coming into camp.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would rather have Trey Smith OG Tennessee who is still available, if you want specifics as to why this pick sucked.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This guy looks like a scrub, imagine the voicemails Incognito would leave this guy
omfg lol!!!

Trey Smith OG Tennessee with a nasty streak. Thats where this pick is fucked. 6'6" 320 lbs...would have a chance to contribute at guard someday.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Wow @WindyCity gonna be so mad, we traded our #208 pick to Seattle and they took Stone Forsythe. Bastards.