Larry Borom Scouting Report.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Question answered... You’ve never seen him play a down of football but you know he sucks.

I have no idea who he is, and I'm sure its a reach and there may have been better talent on the board.

Still can't bitch whenever we draft an offensive lineman tho. Especially now with the fields pick. Give that guy all day to throw and you can almost guarantee he becomes a star.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
we have 5 guards better than this guy already.

We have 5 guards who are pussies and get pushed around a lot. They may be more athletic than Borom but they get pushed around too much. There is a reason we have been absolutely garbage in short yardage.

The guys we have now are more zone blockers. Jenkins and Borom are gap/power guys.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Both Oline are Nasty, Tough & have Great Feet, & Neither have given up any Sacks...
This. Exactly this. I have not been impressed with Daniels thus far. Seems quiet and timid, but athletic. Jenkins and Borom don’t give up many pressures but are mean and they move people. This pick says more to me about wanting to set a tone more than anything else.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
This. Exactly this. I have not been impressed with Daniels thus far. Seems quiet and timid, but athletic. Jenkins and Borom don’t give up many pressures but are mean and they move people. This pick says more to me about wanting to set a tone more than anything else.

Also, Daniels is entering his contract year. I'd be shocked if Borom plays tackle in the NFL, but he has some upside at guard.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes not sure why people think Daniels will be around long term.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Months of whining that Pace needs to invest in the OL and then when he does people don’t like it. They have drafted two 330 lb OL and we should be celebrating. It wasn’t that long ago that Pace’s answer was trying to convert a DL to play guard....remember how that went??

It seems that this prospect could have been available much later in the draft. But I guess we'll never know

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

PROSPECT SUMMARY - LARRY BOROM

Larry Borom projects as a fringe NFL offensive lineman. Borom, who leaves Missouri as a multi-year starter who has logged reps at both tackle and on the interior, does not inspire a great deal of enthusiasm with his functional athleticism and range as a blocker. But with his stature and strong hands, Borom feels destined to gather a look somewhere in the NFL due to some of the more uncoachable dynamics at play with his game. The big question for him is how much untapped potential he can provide an NFL franchise. If a team comes away convinced they can tap into more functional athleticism, he may surprise with his draft stock. But based on the film, he’ll be challenged to secure a 53-man roster role in the league.

Ideal Role: Practice squad offensive lineman.

Scheme Fit: Gap/power heavy rushing offense.

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Kyle Crabbs
Games watched: Alabama (2020), LSU (2020), Kentucky (2020)

Best Game Studied: Kentucky (2020)
Worst Game Studied: Alabama (2019)
Competitive Toughness: Borom illustrates needed upper-body strength to deliver powerful blows and plaster interior rushers with a firm punch. With hands secured he’s quite bullish and can successfully eat power rushes. But those who can stress his outside (or inside) hip will force his base to deteriorate and much of his appeal as a powerful set of hands goes out the window. He offers sufficient backside effort to try to work into cutoff positioning.

Balance: Because of his high hips and poor knee bend, Borom is too often caught out overtop of his toes and his foot speed is restrictive in allowing him to recover. When climbing to the second level, he’s insufficient with his range and blocking radius to envelop or season against flow that scrapes overtop of the play.

Anchor Ability: If Borom is able to establish hands on the frame, he can successfully absorb power. But too often he’s high-hipped and will be easily torqued and turned out of positioning. A lack of bend and leverage are problematic and don’t provide easy solutions.

Lateral Mobility: He’s sorely lacking in the needed mobility and range to successfully mirror on the edge. Furthermore, twitched defenders on the interior are likely to also claim wins against him in penetration reps.

Power at P.O.A.: When his hands catch flush, Borom offers a notable amount of push and can sustain forward momentum in tight quarters. Too much room to work will see defenders laterally pull off blocks and his base spin, so playing on the interior should afford him the best chance to continue vertical momentum.

Hand Technique: Borom does well to secure and sustain his hands, he offers plenty of punch power and transitioned through a secured stab to set hands and stay sticky. If the team looks to run right off his hip, he can maintain his block long enough to allow the ball-carrier to slip through.

Football IQ: Borom’s projection is bolstered by having played so many positions. He appears to have viable assignment retention and can absorb a lot of information. But with that said, his functional application of skills and real-time reactive quickness is not where you’d like it.

Versatility: Borom offers playing experience at both guard and tackle, but he lacks the functional athleticism to play on the edge and successfully steepen angles outside. His projection will be exclusively on the interior at the NFL level.

Pass Sets: Borom played predominantly right tackle in 2020, but his functional athleticism to drive out of his stance or flip and carry vertical pass rush tracks will yield a soft cushion around the edge. Inside, he’s best suited to quick set in effort to get established and gather his full frame directly in front of rushers.

Flexibility: Borom shows significant rigidness through his hips and frame. Pad level will be an issue, as will range of motion and to drive and redirect with any level of twitch.

SCOUT GRADES

TDN Consensus: To Be Determined
Kyle Crabbs: 63.5/100

Thanks for this.

Having just read it and not watched any film on this guy, he reads as a guard or center prospect. He doesn’t need to start or even play this year, but I like the nasty.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Damn, did you expect a 5th round pick to have a glowing report?
I may be in the minority but i like this pick and think hes really being undersold. This guy at worst is going to add much needed quality depth at G and at best could surprise us and be a solid starter for the next decade. I dont see him playing at either tackle spot as i think he would struggle in what little ive seen. I like this pick.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Thanks for this.

Having just read it and not watched any film on this guy, he reads as a guard or center prospect. He doesn’t need to start or even play this year, but I like the nasty.

Too big for C

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Both Oline are Nasty, Tough & have Great Feet, & Neither have given up any Sacks...

That's what I was going to say. If nothing else, the Bears are definitely trying to bring in more nasty to the offensive line room.

Frankly, they haven't had a player who was really nasty since Kyle Long, and before that they haven't had a line with multiple players who had that nasty edge to them since Olin krutz and John Tait were on the same line, and that nasty rubbed off on other guys like Garza and Brown (and guys who didn't have nasty got weights thrown at their head - looking at you Miller ? ).

They are bringing a more nasty physical group into the offensive line room. I would argue it started last year with hambright and "Pig" but now they are bringing even more in and bringing higher caliber of talent in with that nasty.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Too big for C

I know he’s a big guy and centers are usually smaller, but I like the idea of a big mauler in the center, especially since he, supposedly, has a high football iq.

I mean, you’re not wrong. I’m just throwing it out there.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
That's what I was going to say. If nothing else, the Bears are definitely trying to bring in more nasty to the offensive line room.

Frankly, they haven't had a player who was really nasty since Kyle Long, and before that they haven't had a line with multiple players who had that nasty edge to them since Olin krutz and John Tait were on the same line, and that nasty rubbed off on other guys like Garza and Brown (and guys who didn't have nasty got weights thrown at their head - looking at you Miller ? ).

They are bringing a more nasty physical group into the offensive line room. I would argue it started last year with hambright and "Pig" but now they are bringing even more in and bringing higher caliber of talent in with that nasty.

And don’t forget my man Dieter Eiseling! That was a nasty nasty mean give me something to hit type of dude. Warms my heart!

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I may be in the minority but i like this pick and think hes really being undersold. This guy at worst is going to add much needed quality depth at G and at best could surprise us and be a solid starter for the next decade. I dont see him playing at either tackle spot as i think he would struggle in what little ive seen. I like this pick.
The low sack numbers and solid production in the SEC means he is worth the gamble in the 5th. He has size and nasty and you can't have too many lineman these days.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
If you wanted more bad ass players it means Pace shouldn’t have traded up. If you were ok with the trade up then let this go.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
0 sacks allowed in the SEC. Good enough for me in the 5th.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hate this pick. Seems like a reach.