Last Game Thread 2022

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I’m ready to give up, there hasn’t been a game thread in weeks.

Let’s see if the team quits or whoever has the decision on how to go about building a future gets the hint.

They are years away it looks like from peaking and some parts will be dust or gone by then.

Anything future positive. Preferably far future positive, is a good decision you can’t be wrong about. Just turn it loose and convince the vets it’s in their best interest to pursue whatever is left in hockey for them away from this cloud around the Hawks.

Take a deep dive and really when you come out the other side time will have healed some of this and people might be ready to talk Hawks again.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t believe in tanking. I don’t think that’s a good model for every team.

It’s better to be on top and make decisions that keep you on top but never mortgage the future considerably for now without the future planned depth to do so.

A 0% chance, 0% chance, 0% chance, 0% chance, 3% chance, 10% chance, 15% chance, 10% chance, 3% chance, 0% chance, 0%, 0%….repeat

See that type of cycle isn’t that great compared to a 5%, 5%, 5%, 7%, 3%, 6%…

Etc…

You stay in the hunt see…unless you make so many bad trades and acquusitions and retirements that the thing has to be blown up and leave a crater when you do, come out the other side with such a surplus of assets you can wheel and deal again.

The Cubs made these things Vogue, but truly they barely won one and are doing it again already.

It can work, but I don’t think the math actually favors the strategy.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You could argue if it doesn’t rain in the 9th inning, and Rizzo doesn’t take his pants off in clubhouse, the Cubs would now be an opposite example and the public sentiment toward the crater rebuild would be different.

So I’m not an advocate of it, but yeah the Hawks obviously need to do it (and should have a year after Hossa left)so I see why they are trying to get a GM before trade deadline.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
This team needs to reflect, regroup, and be very "tankful" for the rest of the way.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I know many analysts predicted the Hawks will be a playoff team, but this year really isn't all that surprising. Anytime you assemble a roster of players from other teams, there is always the possibility of a train wreck. It is what it is. This isn't the first time this team has been in a world of shit.

SkyKing

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know many analysts predicted the Hawks will be a playoff team, but this year really isn't all that surprising. Anytime you assemble a roster of players from other teams, there is always the possibility of a train wreck. It is what it is. This isn't the first time this team has been in a world of shit.
And it probably won't be the last time either.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Surprised me that many did. Their offseason moves were basically Keith -> Seth Jones and the additions of Johnson, McCabe, and Fleury.

Fleury does bring star power over Lankinen, but other than that the Team D didn't get appreciable stronger, and progress forward would had to have hinged on quite a few players taking the next step into high-end roles. Not many have so far.

Plus you do bring up a point about chemistry. All of the new faces would indeed take time to gel, but it didn't help that the whole Kyle Beach fiasco broke early in the season and JC was so far out of his depth he needed a life preserver.

I'm honestly expecting worse next year.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
If what Saravelli (sp) said is true and the Hawks have an offer on the table for a first and a prospect for Hagel, the Hawks need to take that and not look back.

Start the rebuild already

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If what Saravelli (sp) said is true and the Hawks have an offer on the table for a first and a prospect for Hagel, the Hawks need to take that and not look back.

Start the rebuild already
Mostly agreed, unless the 1st is a very late 1st and/or the Prospect is a Nylander-like prospect.

But then again, Hagel's not coming due this year so the 'hawks do not have to move quickly on him.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
He gone.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the Hawks have an offer for Hagel have to look at it. We likely won’t have our 1st since Stanclown added Jones.

This team is poorly constructed. Has 0 depth, and have yet to see an actually system for offense and defence. They actually remind me of my sons teams with the passive forward groups and defence all over the place.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Depends on the offering, obviously. Personally, I'm not doing it for a late 1st and a scrub prospect.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Depends on the offering, obviously. Personally, I'm not doing it for a late 1st and a scrub prospect.
Exactly. A Nylander-type and a draft pick that turns into a Mark McNeill-type means the 'hawks lose that trade, and if they are going to be serious about the rebuild that means that they have to get *real* value back for any piece they send out--at least tit-for-tat value. Hagel, as much as I like him and want him to retire as a Blackhawk, has some real, tangible value. Yes, moving him for the right piece(s) could help the rebuild, but on the flipside if moving him out for pieces that don't help sets the rebuild further back than keeping him. That has to be a consideration.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jackets are kicking ass.

Hawks down 4-2 at home.

Caley Chelios is under assault by the NBC Sports Chicago Hair and Makeup dept.

Pay Boyle struggles with reading off a teleprompter or they keep fucking up the prompter.

Gem Store Huckster commercials.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jackets are kicking ass.

Hawks down 4-2 at home.

Caley Chelios is under assault by the NBC Sports Chicago Hair and Makeup dept.

Pay Boyle struggles with reading off a teleprompter or they keep fucking up the prompter.

Gem Store Huckster commercials.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
...and Cheesedick still sucks.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
...and Cheesedick still sucks.

I might be wrong, but Colby comes off like a guy who just kinda got handed this job.

As if he's never really done it before, but he knew someone, so they handed it to him.

Caley Chelios obviously got in her spot on name recognition combined with her experience in the game.

Idk who the fuck Colby Covington is.... he really must know someone, because he's an atrocious broadcaster.

I am biased, but I think the Sox have the right model in their booth with Stone and Benneti most nights.

Wealth of wisdom and experience, both in the game and booth on one side, with youth and enthusiasm on the other side.

They keep just throwing a bunch of inexperienced 30-40 year olds in there and hoping it will coalesce into a good product.

Broadcasting isn't Rocket Science, but it also isn't just button pushing.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I might be wrong, but Colby comes off like a guy who just kinda got handed this job.

As if he's never really done it before, but he knew someone, so they handed it to him.

Caley Chelios obviously got in her spot on name recognition combined with her experience in the game.

Idk who the fuck Colby Covington is.... he really must know someone, because he's an atrocious broadcaster.

I am biased, but I think the Sox have the right model in their booth with Stone and Benneti most nights.

Wealth of wisdom and experience, both in the game and booth on one side, with youth and enthusiasm on the other side.

They keep just throwing a bunch of inexperienced 30-40 year olds in there and hoping it will coalesce into a good product.

Broadcasting isn't Rocket Science, but it also isn't just button pushing.
I know he did some analyst work on broadcast for Philly awhile back and he is an ex-player with something like 4 NHL games under his belt, but even the Philly fans I know hated him and though he had zero broadcast-quality charisma.

That or he has photos of NBCSC's board of directors sucking off all the animals at Brookfield Zoo.

My only guess is that he came cheap for NBCSC and so they are trying to jam him down our throats instead of giving the people what they want, which now seems to be a near unanimous Ross Jr. and Olczyk Jr. Granted, I'd love Weiderman as well but I think Ross Jr. will grow into the roll.