Lawn Mowing Thread

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The new girl is finally here- 2020 deere 2025r. My lawn care game has leveled up.

Photos of her with car and the old busted mower for scale.

2 or 4 wheel drive, 60" cutting deck with quick connect, Aftermarket 4 function quick connect hydraulics.
I have a land plane and backhoe on the way.

I wasnt going to go this nuts with a tractor, but it wound up being the smart choice.
My driveway is almost a quarter mile long and gravel. it would have been over 20k to get the whole thing paved.

The tractor with land plane to level and plow the drive at will was roughly the same price, and it gives me a mower, bucket, and backhoe as a bonus.
At the end of the day it was a no-brainer purchase.

View attachment 12523View attachment 12524View attachment 12525View attachment 12526
That's one hell of a rig

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's one hell of a rig

I am enjoying it. The only downside of it is that it is diesel.
It runs clean and I don't even get a whiff of exhaust, but filling it sucks. Can't seem to do so without at least some spillage and that shit is hard to wash off.

I started putting it through its paces yesterday, and am really happy with the results.

I loaded the bucket to overflowing with a variety of different loads. 1 load of gravel, 1 load of busted up concrete, 1 load of dirt, and 1 load of wet ash from the fire pit, and it lifted and moved without breaking a sweat.

I expected at least a little straining when it was filled to physical capacity, but it performed well.

Then I put it in 4 and climbed the steepest incline on the property (on wet grass) and it zipped right on up without chewing up the turf.

The quick connect system is great as well- literally less than a minute to remove or reinstall the bucket.

It was a little bit of a splurge but it is going to do all I ask and then some for the next 25 years give or take.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Has anyone ever used these style heads on their weed whacker, and if so are they worthwhile?
I hate dealing with the string.

View attachment 12422
I don't have a photo, but I replaced the one on my gas unit with a new head that has 4 "buttons" with two holes in each, and each button swivels. You can still use trimmer string, but you cut it in roughly 12" pieces, pinch it in half, put it through the holes, and done. I guess because they swivel, they last a long time, when they do wear out, super easy to swap out.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The new girl is finally here- 2020 deere 2025r. My lawn care game has leveled up.

Photos of her with car and the old busted mower for scale.

2 or 4 wheel drive, 60" cutting deck with quick connect, Aftermarket 4 function quick connect hydraulics.
I have a land plane and backhoe on the way.

I wasnt going to go this nuts with a tractor, but it wound up being the smart choice.
My driveway is almost a quarter mile long and gravel. it would have been over 20k to get the whole thing paved.

The tractor with land plane to level and plow the drive at will was roughly the same price, and it gives me a mower, bucket, and backhoe as a bonus.
At the end of the day it was a no-brainer purchase.

View attachment 12523View attachment 12524View attachment 12525View attachment 12526
I have absolutely zero practical use for that, and yet I still want one...

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have absolutely zero practical use for that, and yet I still want one...

Wanna buy my old busted one? I will redo the tape!

Had the quote for the asphalt driveway not come in so high, I likely would have gotten the much smaller 1025 and the driveway... this one allows me to grade the gravel and remove snow for what wound up being far less than mower and drive.

I am hoping the price on the drive will drop next year once housing and materials cool off a little.

No mowing for me this weekend... I went a little low on the first lawn cutting, so it needs a break this weekend while the lawn recovers.

Meanwhile, I have been moving the remains of an old guest house foundation to the back corner of the property.
The building and materials were long gone- but somewhere back in the day they added indoor plumbing and a larger kitchen so I had a mostly busted up concrete pad to get rid of...gave me a chance to whip out the jackhammer for a bit.

I likely never would have bothered with it without the bucket to scoop and dump... it sat in an area I wasn't going to clear anyway. I just did it because with the new toy it was fun.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I push a Craftsman T110 around my lawn.
Weed Wacker is also Craftsman.
I've got the same mower. Weed wacker is a Husqvarna. You can change out the extensions on it for different tools. I've got a pole saw for trimming trees, and an edger. Not as good probably as a dedicated machine, but plenty powerful enough to cut through the thick ass sod.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
View attachment 12433

Best shit ever. Premixed, so no messing around with measuring and mixing. My trimmer has started on the 2nd pull since day one and it's about six years old now. The stuff smells like paint thinner, but it burns clean and virtually smell free.
(At least on my Toro)

Only drawback is the price. It's $6.00 a quart, but if your yard is small it will last you two years.
That's good stuff. Same thing I use for my trimmer and leaf blower. Had them both for years and they always start right up. Zero problems.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hey, I broke my old record - mowed and trimmed my yard in 9 minutes.

If I tried to do that it would wind up like the Robert liston world record amputation.....

"He is said to have performed the removal of a limb in 28 seconds, accidentally amputating his assistant surgeon's fingers, causing the patient and assistant to die of sepsis, and a witness reportedly dying of shock, making this surgery the deadliest in history."

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My “yard’ is about 15 ft x 30 ft. Just enough for the dogs. We live in a condo and I have to mow the fenced area.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My 2014 John Deere just blew up in a big way. Kinda exciting but scared the hell out my wife. Already talked to the JD dealer down the road and they'll have a new one here in a couple of days. No big deal.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My 2014 John Deere just blew up in a big way. Kinda exciting but scared the hell out my wife. Already talked to the JD dealer down the road and they'll have a new one here in a couple of days. No big deal.
Fuck you on getting a new one so easy. Mine came from Nebraska. The second closest one was in Nashville.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dealer is 2 miles down on my road. LOL

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck you on getting a new one so easy. Mine came from Nebraska. The second closest one was in Nashville.
Went to pay for my new one and some asshole beat me to it with a different salesman yesterday at 5. They can get one for me in Dec. The asshole traded in a 2020 Craftsman so I bought it. They said that when the new ones show up I can trade it in for what I just paid. So it worked out and an employee who just fucked up his deck gave me 100 for the old one. So they will bring me the new one and take the old one tomorrow. Covid makes everything suck. LOL