LB Greene gets quicker in prep for second season

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
kjrvkm7bo7jih735lx98kjoljqgresi

Shea McClellin wins the award for “body transformation” of the 2014 Bears offseason, but there’s another linebacker with a new number who looked a bit different at OTAs and minicamp: Khaseem Greene.

The second-year ‘Will’ linebacker “came into camp a bit heavy” last summer, Phil Emery said during the season. Greene, who measured in at 241 pounds at the Combine, started four games last season in Lance Briggs’ absence. He had 28 tackles, and an interception against Minnesota, but, like fellow rookie Jon Bostic and the rest of the defense, struggled.

Looking to make that “second year leap,” Greene slimmed down in the offseason, working out in Cincinnati with trainer Clif Marshall and NFL players Luke Kuechly, Rey Maualuga and Mohamed Sanu. He also was in Florida with Brandon Marshall and other Bears teammates.

“I think the biggest thing for me was just my nutrition, watching what I put into my body and getting to a weight where I really want to be at and feel real comfortable at, which allowed me to fly around and move a little differently than I did last year,” Greene said as minicamp wrapped up at Halas Hall last week.

Greene has worked as the second-team weak-side linebacker behind Lance Briggs. “I like to play behind Lance,” he said, “He’s taught me a lot, showed me some things.” Greene will also work to solidify his roster spot by participating on special teams.

In addition to getting his nutrition in check, Greene had an on-field trait he focused on during the offseason to improve at linebacker and on the coverage teams.

The rest could be read here: http://www.chicagofootball.com/2014/06/27/lb-greene-gets-quicker-in-prep-for-second-season/ab3wbkn/

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good on ya, ya fat fuck.

J/K

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
Glad to hear he is taking it seriously at least. He has some nice potential if the bears can get it out of him and hopefully he only sees the field as a special teams ace and to give briggs a breather. A year as #2 could really help him and put the bears in a better position next offseason when we might lose lance

proton

Liked Posts:
I knew he was going to struggle last year from the first time I saw him in a pre-season game against Oakland when he had a completely unabated path to the Oakland QB and instead of wrapping him up and crushing him the Oakland QB escaped his grasp and scrambled for 12 yards. Still not confident he will even make the final roster this year.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I knew he was going to struggle last year from the first time I saw him in a pre-season game against Oakland when he had a completely unabated path to the Oakland QB and instead of wrapping him up and crushing him the Oakland QB escaped his grasp and scrambled for 12 yards. Still not confident he will even make the final roster this year.

Don't see him getting cut, considering he costs next to nothing to have, still has great potential, and was put into a very bad situation last year. Also, I think there is a cap hit for the Bears if they choose to cut him. I only see him being cut if he turns around and pulls a Rodriguez and fucks up big time. Washington is on the chopping block more so than Greene is for sure.

Anyway, on a different note, I'm glad to hear some positives about him coming out of OTAs. Was curious about him seeing as how Shea, Bostic, and Jones seem to be getting most of the coverage for the LB group. I remember there was a ton of optimism for this kid when he was drafted, and remember some people thinking he would be a steal. Caused a crap load of turnovers while in college and if he can get his head on straight, I don't see why he can't be our future WLB?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes definitely is great to hear about him slimming down and participating in down South workouts--BEARs camp Florida.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
all i have to say is wtf....but at least he is a player that saw the writing on the wall before we actually had to cut him. He has a chance to make the team now.

kemuon

Liked Posts:
Anyone thinking the Bears are going to cut Khaseem Greene is a dumbass. He was a 4th round rookie last year thrust into a starting role when he wasn't ready

proton

Liked Posts:
Anyone thinking Khaseem Greene won't get cut just because he's was a 4th round rookie thrust into a starting role when he wasn't ready is a dumbass. Jones is probably more ready right now.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
Anyone thinking Khaseem Greene won't get cut just because he's was a 4th round rookie thrust into a starting role when he wasn't ready is a dumbass. Jones is probably more ready right now.

It's possible they cut him, but very unlikely. The only way I see him getting cut is if he sucks it up on special teams. They can let him develop and not have to pay much. So little risk it makes more sense to keep him if you see ANY potential at all

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Fourth round draft pick who turns into a special teams ace and a solid backup linebacker. That's a win.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

So what are your expectations for a fourth round draft pick?

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone thinking the Bears are going to cut Khaseem Greene is a dumbass. He was a 4th round rookie last year thrust into a starting role when he wasn't ready

8bf9dce993013f0b932996c1cad36442b2d8ac477ec357a6e213c3c2c36c3851.jpg

kemuon

Liked Posts:

Lol