Leatherwood at LG

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Lets say that Leatherwood starts to push for playing time, and ends up working out at LG, what do you do with Whitehair? Kick him to Center? Keep him in, and use Leatherwood as a depth player? What about Patrick? What if he plays well, at Center, next to Whitehair? What if he plays better at Center, next to Leatherwood?

This is going to be interesting, provided he continues to improve.

You're counting on a lot to all of a sudden go right for a group that's had just about everything go wrong.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly, if they were to play Reiff, I'd like to see him at G. He's way overrated as a T on this board. He wouldn't significantly outplay either of our Ts.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I liked the Leatherwood pickup but come on guys. He was cut outright. He's big and strong but Oakland tried him inside. He's a backup/project addition. When Whitehair is able, he's back at G for the remainder of this year.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not big on moving guys around, but the Bears aren't left with many options here. They need to be better at every position on the OL so experimenting might have to happen. If Jones continues to struggle and they get healthy, why not try this

LT - Jenkins (I know Pace is an idiot but isn't this what he was drafted for?)
LG - Whitehair - he was solid pre injury
C - Patrick - Isn't this why he was signed?
RG - Leatherwood
RT - Borom

Edit: I forgot about Reiff. If Leatherwood sucks (I have no idea about him other than he was drafted high), you could kick Borom into RG, Reiff at RT. Between Jenkins, Borom, Reiff there should be some combo that works.
Moving everyone at once is not happening but it is fun to speculate. I would go:

LT - Jones (the experiment is not over yet imo)
LG - Leatherwood/Whitehair
C - Patrick
RG - Borom
RT - Jenkins
Swing - Reiff
First manned space flight to Mars - Mustipher

msadows

Liked Posts:
I would just keep borom and jenkins where they are.

Seems like at the very least they are very good run blockers at their spot. Better to keep that stable, especially considering the other 3 guys on the line are the worst in the league at their positions.....oof

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
I see changes.
LG - Leatherwood (his natural position), till Whitehair is back.
C- Patrick

Book it!

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You're counting on a lot to all of a sudden go right for a group that's had just about everything go wrong.

No one is counting on anything. We are just looking at things and seeing what could potentially provide the biggest benefit of what we have.

It's entirely possible they make all the changes, put out their best possible lineup of O-linemen, and it STILL not being good enough.

But we need to wait and see first.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No one is counting on anything. We are just looking at things and seeing what could potentially provide the biggest benefit of what we have.

It's entirely possible they make all the changes, put out their best possible lineup of O-linemen, and it STILL not being good enough.

By wait and SEE do you mean you're going to start WATCHING THE GAMES?

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Lets say that Leatherwood starts to push for playing time, and ends up working out at LG, what do you do with Whitehair? Kick him to Center? Keep him in, and use Leatherwood as a depth player? What about Patrick? What if he plays well, at Center, next to Whitehair? What if he plays better at Center, next to Leatherwood?

This is going to be interesting, provided he continues to improve.

Man I would love to have that problem.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:

As a Bear fan I give you a lot of credit for still being in the good ole "wait and see" mode.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not big on moving guys around, but the Bears aren't left with many options here. They need to be better at every position on the OL so experimenting might have to happen. If Jones continues to struggle and they get healthy, why not try this

LT - Jenkins (I know Pace is an idiot but isn't this what he was drafted for?)
LG - Whitehair - he was solid pre injury
C - Patrick - Isn't this why he was signed?
RG - Leatherwood
RT - Borom

Edit: I forgot about Reiff. If Leatherwood sucks (I have no idea about him other than he was drafted high), you could kick Borom into RG, Reiff at RT. Between Jenkins, Borom, Reiff there should be some combo that works.
Jenkins was never a LT to anyone but Pace, or you have a left handed QB.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Not saying he can't be elevated soon or even this weekend, but Leatherwood is still not actually on the active roster. He is in that 21 day window to start practicing ahead of either being activated or put on IR for the rest of the year.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I liked the Leatherwood pickup but come on guys. He was cut outright. He's big and strong but Oakland tried him inside. He's a backup/project addition. When Whitehair is able, he's back at G for the remainder of this year.

Only difference I can think of is that he played on the left side, LT?, in college and then Oakland put him on the right side for everything. Maybe he is a better natural fit to the left side with his footwork? I have no idea, but that is my hope.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
He just doesn't seem to have that "nasty" that he seemed to have when at Bama. He needs to hang out with Jenkins and Olin Krutz for a few weekends. Maybe get into a bar fight or wrestle an alligator or something. Definitely needs to get that confidence and swag back. He along with Jenkins could be a force for a long time if he gets his shit together. Hell, he's 330 lbs and can wiggle a bit. The tools are there.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
All I know is if you put Jenkins at LG he won't let anyone inside on Jones without an effort.

I was actually curious given that Jenkins had played on the left side before why they didn't move him to left guard and Leatherwood get reps with the twos at right guard? Since Leatherwood I believe was a right tackle.

Then again maybe that just speaks of how highly they view Jenkins at Right guard that they absolutely don't want to move him or change anything.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I was actually curious given that Jenkins had played on the left side before why they didn't move him to left guard and Leatherwood get reps with the twos at right guard? Since Leatherwood I believe was a right tackle.

Then again maybe that just speaks of how highly they view Jenkins at Right guard that they absolutely don't want to move him or change anything.
Well....Jenkins was on thr right side almost all of his college career and Leatherwood on the left side almost all his college career.

I think at some point they need to see Leatherwood at LG this year (at least 4 games) to see what they have heading into the off season.

If they both pan out at guard; that's a good start to rebuilding the line.