LeBron James responds to Steroids in basketball...

RPK

Liked Posts:
James is a great player, but I will have serious doubts until the NBA implements league wide Steroid testing. Too much money involved not to have some players cheating.

From a Q+A with Maxim:

It's something that's not done. I think it’s hurting baseball, because it wasn't banned and now it is banned, so it's hard to flush out completely. It's just something in the NBA that hasn't been done, so no one’s going to start. I wouldn't expect to see anybody taking steroids in the game of basketball. That would be kind of crazy.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Oy. Guys, your all nuts. Steroids is known to slow people down, it is not something that would work for basketball players. They bball players are the way that they are because they are natural born killers.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
As I've said in the past on this. There isn't a steroid culture around high school basketball like there is high school baseball and football. The only drug culture around high school basketball is a weed culture.

RPK

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
As I've said in the past on this. There isn't a steroid culture around high school basketball like there is high school baseball and football. The only drug culture around high school basketball is a weed culture.

I agree that weed is a huge part of the culture, but I know some high school ball players who have told me that steroids was also a major part.

I don't agree that steroids is only used to make you stronger. I believe that it can make you faster and jump higher. What basketball player wouldn't want that?

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Re:LeBron James responds to Steroids in basketball

I'm sure there are some guys that have, but I don't think it's an issue with the superstars like it is in baseball.

Someone said Dwight Howard is a prime suspect. Howard is 6'10, so right of the bat we know the guy was gifted. Roids can't make you 6'10 so he naturally has something. And what was the criticism of Howard after the NBA Finals, that he needed to develop a post game. Steroids ain't gonna help him do that.

The guy who made the point about running faster and jumping higher, that's true. Roids can help you with that. It's made average track stars into gold medalists. But is the NBA it's a bit different. Roids can make you jump higher, but it's not going to give you the ability to score with the ball once you get up there. the ability to adjust in the air and score. And the guys that want to run faster will most likely want to with the ball, roids won't help you have better handles.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think steroids is a problem in basketball. I just think NBA players are naturally athletically gifted. If your 6'8, 6'9, 6'10 you got something. Sure there are guys that can be tall but not athletic, but steroids isn't going to make a 6'6 gangly guy into a stud.

Lets say if Aaron Gray started doing steroids, would he become a star player? I'll just throw that out there.

Another thing, with baseball we saw average players become superstars. Can anyone point to a guy who was just okay for 4 or 5 years in the NBA then all of the sudden became a superstar? Like the NBA's version of David Ortiz?

TheStig

Liked Posts:

Kush77 wrote:
I'm sure there are some guys that have, but I don't think it's an issue with the superstars like it is in baseball.

Someone said Dwight Howard is a prime suspect. Howard is 6'10, so right of the bat we know the guy was gifted. Roids can't make you 6'10 so he naturally has something. And what was the criticism of Howard after the NBA Finals, that he needed to develop a post game. Steroids ain't gonna help him do that.

The guy who made the point about running faster and jumping higher, that's true. Roids can help you with that. It's made average track stars into gold medalists. But is the NBA it's a bit different. Roids can make you jump higher, but it's not going to give you the ability to score with the ball once you get up there. the ability to adjust in the air and score. And the guys that want to run faster will most likely want to with the ball, roids won't help you have better handles.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think steroids is a problem in basketball. I just think NBA players are naturally athletically gifted. If your 6'8, 6'9, 6'10 you got something. Sure there are guys that can be tall but not athletic, but steroids isn't going to make a 6'6 gangly guy into a stud.

Lets say if Aaron Gray started doing steroids, would he become a star player? I'll just throw that out there.

Another thing, with baseball we saw average players become superstars. Can anyone point to a guy who was just okay for 4 or 5 years in the NBA then all of the sudden became a superstar? Like the NBA's version of David Ortiz?

Bad example, if Aaron Gray was on roids he would be a legit nba player. He has the offensive skills and size as you said. He would get cut and much quicker and be a nice player at a relatively shallow depth position in the league. His main issue now is being in shape and speed. But otherwise your point is mostly right.

Kush77

Liked Posts:

TheStig wrote:
Kush77 wrote:

Bad example, if Aaron Gray was on roids he would be a legit nba player. He has the offensive skills and size as you said. He would get cut and much quicker and be a nice player at a relatively shallow depth position in the league. His main issue now is being in shape and speed. But otherwise your point is mostly right.

You're right. Aaron Gray does have some offensive skill, he doesn't look like he's never shot a ball before. I guess if Aaron Gray had the offensive skill of Tyson Chandler then steroids wouldn't help. Tyson could roid up to put on bulk or get even faster, but he has no offensive skill and no amount of roids will help that.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

Kush77 wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Kush77 wrote:

You're right. Aaron Gray does have some offensive skill, he doesn't look like he's never shot a ball before. I guess if Aaron Gray had the offensive skill of Tyson Chandler then steroids wouldn't help. Tyson could roid up to put on bulk or get even faster, but he has no offensive skill and no amount of roids will help that.

Exactly, Tyson would only get marginally better. A really roided up Gray is potentially a top 10 center in the league, same thing with curry. Which brings up the idea, lets get gray on roids and have our center of the future.