Leno. HE GONE

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Hicks needs to play far fewer snaps than he's played in the past. He will be way more effective playing 50% of snaps than 75% or more, which is what he's been playing since he got here when healthy.
With Goldman returning and Nichols likely sliding back to DE, there is no reason the team shouldn’t limit his snaps.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I think you're reading the numbers wrong. Only top 51 players count against the cap. Before the Leno cut, the Bears were an estimated -850K.

Good point. But what really tells the story is how the cap affects the team. Fuller is already a casualty and that's a big blow to the defense. Let's see how this works out...

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
This will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the move.

His cap hit this was supposed to be $11,294,000 and cutting him will result in $5,082,000 dead cap space. The net savings is $6,212,000.

That's decent savings, but it also forces a rookie into action early while limiting the depth.

To be clear, I'm not saying Leno is better, but for what they got being ~$6.2M in cap space they are now rushing the development of Jenkins and making the team more vulnerable to injury.

I'm always against rushing a rookie into playing. I think for their own confidence it's best for them to start once they have won the job. As bad as Leno has been, without training camp it seems way too early to say a 2nd rounder is a starter.

Not just a rookie. But a rookie that might not be suited for the position. Prior to the draft, almost everyone projected Jenkins at RT. This is a risky move and only makes sense if Jenkins can play at a productive level at LT and/or the Bears sign a LT this offseason.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
This will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the move.

His cap hit this was supposed to be $11,294,000 and cutting him will result in $5,082,000 dead cap space. The net savings is $6,212,000.

That's decent savings, but it also forces a rookie into action early while limiting the depth.

To be clear, I'm not saying Leno is better, but for what they got being ~$6.2M in cap space they are now rushing the development of Jenkins and making the team more vulnerable to injury.

I'm always against rushing a rookie into playing. I think for their own confidence it's best for them to start once they have won the job. As bad as Leno has been, without training camp it seems way too early to say a 2nd rounder is a starter.

I actually agree with this. My guess is they are going to sign someone. I don't think releasing Leno helps the team right now, outside of the cap space obviously.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I said, on this very forum, that I was worried that they would immediately try to convert Jenkins to LT. How about no more square pegs in round holes. If he's a RT, keep him at RT.

Don't put it past the BHVWGHC to misplace and improperly evaluate the talent he has on his roster.

Probably already designing sneaky two point conversion pass plays to Jenkins from the LT spot!

BigTom

Liked Posts:
Based on the tackles they picked and releasing Leno it seems there is an effort underway to get tougher up front. That line has been soft as hell for too long now and a big part of that was Leno. Hopefully the rest of the team gets the message they aren't going to put up with soft ass players just going through the motions for a paycheck.

Another big part of getting tougher will be swapping out Trubisky for Fields. Going to be a new identity coming to the offense.

Liked Posts:
the bar is set very low for jenkins to be at least as good a pass blocker as leno was. and he should be a big upgrade as a run blocker. the interior should be above average if whitehair, mustipher and daniels stay healthy. right tackle is a bit iffy with borom or ifedi, hopefully the rookie can win the job and be at least a slight upgrade.

Liked Posts:
They probably sign someone, but I honestly wouldn’t be that worried with Jenkins starting either. Either way LT will be upgraded next year.

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
only on this board of intellects i tell you
people are actually sad about this move ?
Leno should have been gone years ago
jmarcus webb 2.0

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just tells me that they're secure through 2022 which is fine at this point. Let them play and learn their craft.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
that’s a bad move. who are you sliding to left? let Jenkins stay on the right side and Barrom needs to develop.
Borom could be a guard. At least thats what scouts are saying.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Borom could be a guard. At least thats what scouts are saying.
Most things I've read projected

Jenkins as a RT
Borom as a fringe RG

The possible position swap may work....but It would be very Bearsy to put a rookie franchise qb behind an oline with rookies at the tackle spots; where the rest of the league didn't think they were suited for.

There is a genius or two at Halas Hall so what do I know.

Reactions: DC

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I said, on this very forum, that I was worried that they would immediately try to convert Jenkins to LT. How about no more square pegs in round holes. If he's a RT, keep him at RT.

He started 7 games at LT in college. It's not like he's unfamiliar with it. It's also not like left and right tackle are inherently different. Tristan Wirfs was used similarly in college starting on both sides. I also like the thought of Jenkins next to the veteran Whitehair. Leno played better when next to Cody, so I can only think Jenkins will benefit some too. Now if Whitehair plays RG next year, then I can see Jenkins at RT.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Not quite. I am saying the run calls were typically 80% Zone calls vs 20% gap calls under Fox. The KC offense is closer to 60% zone calls and 40% gap calls. So zone is still the majority but you run pretty much double the gap/power plays.

See above for the percentage under Fox. I can't find the article that highlights the percentages in the KC offense.
Ok, that is a good point.

My point is that using players that don't fit a certain blocking scheme is not that good of an idea. The Bears now have a majority of offensive lineman who would be considered power blockers and not zone blockers.

Whatever combination they run, I am hoping that it is much more successful than in 2020.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Hi Leomaz / Slick Willy. Your act is old and having said that, I am a therapist and could help you. No more antagonizing your pathetic little self. Reach out, I'm here for you.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Jenkins is your long term LT, don’t dick around, play him there and let him grow.
Agreed, I said this when they drafted him. Stick him in a spot and if he performs well, leave him there. It would be silly to start him at RT in 2021 and then flip him to LT in 2022 and vice versa.