Leno. HE GONE

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Borom might not be ready to play right away... but the dude had a 0% pressures rate last year. I think they expect him to contribute sooner rather than later. His biggest knock was conditioning followed by technique.
And he supposedly lost some (a lot of?) weight.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Could Jenkins really do worse than Leno though?

IMO; this move more than any screams that we're actually going to commit to running the ball. Leno was decent in pass pro but worthless in the run game. We committed to the run in the second half and were rewarded for it; something that Ifedi is better at than pass blocking and he was re-signed and penciled in as the starter at RT.

We went out and signed a starting caliber running back in Damien Williams then spent a pick on Khalil Herbert. We also drafted Teven Jenkins who's known for his nastiness in the run game. I like what I'm seeing here and it seems like we're preparing the team to have a good defense and running game, which both always help out a rookie QB.

As prospects Jenkins is way ahead of where Leno was when he was drafted. I don't know Leno's specific draft profile, but he was a 7th rounder as opposed to a 2nd.

I will say with all prospects their development could be stunted if they take on too much too early. Some believe you put everything on the plate and when they fail you know the limit. For me I think more around confidence. You want that player to maintain their confidence. If they are overloaded and overmatched you have to slow it down, give them some space and let them get their footing. If he's the starting LT from day one he's going to have a full plate of pass rushers.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It's quite possible that on some level, Desai wants to go in a different direction with his corners.
Possible.

I just feel this team would be better if they cut Leno and Graham while keeping Fuller. Right now they have a fairly large hole on the defense. Scheme could cover a lot of that, but man, Fuller is a dog.

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
The Bears, like many teams, are in cap hell. This was a cut that probably would not have happened if the cap was not so severely impacted by COVID. But as with Fuller, this tells me neither was in the long-term plans, so let’s start with the rebuild.

Bolek

Liked Posts:
Wow...i wasnt expecting that. Who is starting at LT?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Possible.

I just feel this team would be better if they cut Leno and Graham while keeping Fuller. Right now they have a fairly large hole on the defense. Scheme could cover a lot of that, but man, Fuller is a dog.
They had to make a decision on Robinson, cutting Graham wouldn't have freed up enough to keep Kyle. Cutting Leno before knowing how the draft shook down would have been foolish.

I personally would have cut Hicks to keep Fuller.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol. Team is being aggressive. We sure wont be worse and just paid for our rookies.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
that’s a bad move. who are you sliding to left? let Jenkins stay on the right side and Barrom needs to develop.
Sort of what I thought but happy he’s gone. Ifedi should be happy though Barrom has supposedly got into great shape. Looks like we’re moving towards beef block.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I assume they figure they can equal Leno's production with some other team's June cut for less. Starting a rookie who played on the other side on college is insanity imo.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Very happy with this move. Gundy says Jenkins is supremely talented, and could play either side. I believe him, and hope TJ locks up the LT spot.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the move.

His cap hit this was supposed to be $11,294,000 and cutting him will result in $5,082,000 dead cap space. The net savings is $6,212,000.

That's decent savings, but it also forces a rookie into action early while limiting the depth.

To be clear, I'm not saying Leno is better, but for what they got being ~$6.2M in cap space they are now rushing the development of Jenkins and making the team more vulnerable to injury.

I'm always against rushing a rookie into playing. I think for their own confidence it's best for them to start once they have won the job. As bad as Leno has been, without training camp it seems way too early to say a 2nd rounder is a starter.
I think you’d have a different opinion if you watched Leno closely. He was fucking horrible.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's an odd thought. If the rooks don't work out at LT, Whitehair can probably play it. He'd look ugly doing it but be at east as effective as Leno. He didn't project there but short arm Whitehair was the top rated college LT in his draft.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Here's an odd thought. If the rooks don't work out at LT, Whitehair can probably play it. He'd look ugly doing it but be at east as effective as Leno. He didn't project there but short arm Whitehair was the top rated college LT in his draft.
There's no way they'll move Whitehair to tackle.

PFTCB

Liked Posts:
Thank you for your service, Leno!

All you fucks can dog on him all day if you want, he played a lot of games for the Bears. Some good, some ugly, but pretty solid 7th rounder

He was present.