Leno. HE GONE

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It saves 9 million.

Leno was a solid player and a good 7th round player, but to me he always represented the "good enough" mentality on offense. He was average and we didn't try to replace him.

The era of "good enough" on offense appears to be over.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Thinking about it, I highly doubt they make this move without speaking to an agent of a FA about the parameters of a deal (such as Eric Fisher or whoever else is out there). I expect a signing in the next 24-48 hours.
didn’t think about this when i first posted on this thread but you’re right. if you bring in a better replacement at cheaper like Fisher than that’s a W.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Yep.

I'm glad Leno is gone, but yes, a rookie could be worse. We have to sign someone now with the freed up cap space.

Again, why didn't Jenkins play LT in college? Did the LT at OK St get drafted too?

That was my question.
The only eventual good NFL LT who I can recall that didn't play LT in college was Brandon Albert who I believe played LG only because Eugene Monroe played LT and he was a top 10 LT pick the next year.
I still think Jenkins is a RT but if they go that way I hope I'm dead wrong.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Didn't I see somewhere if designated post June cut it would have been better for the bears?
You don't have to wait until June to designate someone as a post-June 1 cut. In fact, it looks like that's the plan:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you feel Jenkins is the LT of the future, which they clearly do, then don't waste 9 million and all the reps on a guy you are going to punt.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
This will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the move.

His cap hit this was supposed to be $11,294,000 and cutting him will result in $5,082,000 dead cap space. The net savings is $6,212,000.

That's decent savings, but it also forces a rookie into action early while limiting the depth.

To be clear, I'm not saying Leno is better, but for what they got being ~$6.2M in cap space they are now rushing the development of Jenkins and making the team more vulnerable to injury.

I'm always against rushing a rookie into playing. I think for their own confidence it's best for them to start once they have won the job. As bad as Leno has been, without training camp it seems way too early to say a 2nd rounder is a starter.
They'll cut him with a post June 1 designation and save $9M this year. I can also see the Bears using some of that money and signing Eric Fisher to a 1 year deal to provide a safety net for Jenkins

msadows

Liked Posts:
Hell yea.

My guess is jenkins starts at LT, Ifedi at RT.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Leno sucked for a couple of years now, but he was very healthy, and for a 7th rounder, he had a decent career here. It would not surprise me if this lit a fire under his butt and he ended up playing well for someone else.

However, it is concerning that a very good prospect for RT is now possibly going to be forced into playing LT.

If that is the plan then stay with it, the worse thing they could do is flop him back and forth during his first season in the NFL.

I think they are going to sign a Vet and put Jenkins at RT, at least I think that would be the best move.

I think you're right. Rapoport is oversimplifying by saying this means Jenkins will start at LT. He's not thinking this through.

Akuma2000

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He sucked a lot. Basically all the time. Had one good year, got extended, then stopped giving a shit.
Yup, after he got his money he played whenever felt like it. I can’t count how many false starts and holding penalties that killed so many positive drives on the field. I rather have a rookie at LT who actually gives a dam and wants to play and protect the QB than veteran sitting around counting his money and flips a coin to decide if he’s gonna play and give 100% the whole game that day etc.....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LT: Jenkins
LG: Whitehair, Bars
C: Muctipher
RG: Daniels, Wilkerson
RT: Ifedi vs Borom

Maybe they sign a veteran OT as insurance for Jenkins. I like Dennis Kelly from Tennessee.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Expected to save 9M on designated June 1 cut. Not sure how I feel about this before we see Jenkins in action.

I wonder if this is a statement on development of our young tackles or just how poorly they thought of Leno's play.
Still possible they cut him post june