Let's address the elephant in the room: The lack of air yards

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields has been nothing short of phenomenal the past several weeks. He's an absolute game-changer who, while having ups and downs, will likely only get better. He's the true dynamic athlete Bears fans have so desperately pined for for so long.

That said, we are seeing a underwhelming output of actual passing yards. 123 yards last week. 167 yards yesterday. He hasn't broken 200 yards in 6 games (Oct. 9 @ Vikings - 208).

I do not believe this is reason for concern, for a few reasons:

1) The offense is scoring points and moving the ball. The way the Bears are moving the ball down the field, leaning heavily on Fields' legs while also mixing in his arm and their RB running game, is working. The offense looks fluid and fun to watch. They're getting first downs. They're scoring points.

2) You almost need to just combine Fields' rushing yards & passing yards to get the full picture of his impact. Rushing for 40 yards out of an 80-yard drive means 40 yards that you don't have to net out of the air. If they can't stop you on the ground, why wouldn't you run? And does it matter whether those 40 came on the ground or through the air, as long as you get them? In this way, the low passing yardage total is in **direct correlation** to Fields' high rushing yard totals. If he didn't rush for as many yards, at least many of those would be passing yards. So it's his total yardage that should be the outlook we pay most attention to. I'm not going to complain about 300+ yards per game combined passing and rushing.

3) Fields is not a finished product. He will continue to work and continue to get better. As he does, those passing yard totals will come up, and we'll laugh about the times we were worried about 150-yard passing games.

4) USE YOUR EYES - The biggest reason I'm not concerned about the lack of passing yard output is that you can tell by looking at Fields that he's not a running QB who can't throw, or who is *always* looking to take off. We've seen those dime throws. We've seen that once he starts scrambling, he keeps his eyes downfield. We've seen that if he sees an open receiver while scrambling, he'll toss it to them for a 15-20 yard gain rather than just run it for 8 yards. The ability and willingness to throw are still there.

The uniqueness of Justin Fields requires a unique viewpoint when watching him work. Embrace that differentness. Embrace that we're seeing Fields be Fields. We're seeing what he can do when he has the freedom to be dynamic in his own way. We'll see up-games and down-games, but ladies and gentlemen, he's only going to get better.

This is going to be fun to watch.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
People who want to find the negatives will find them. "Not enough air yards!" Well how bout now compared to 5 games ago? Massive difference from there to here in terms of passing efficiency and turnovers (at the very least), so imagine what could happen in another 5 games? Why not just wait and see and enjoy the ride?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not a big deal if the yards come via the ground instead of the air....until he gets hurt running.

He's very entertaining. This is fun to watch. It was impressive towards the end of the game when he got sacked...it took the defense 3 tries to take him down. Obviously his leg strength is great.

But I will never call him "special" or "elite" as a QB until he shows he can throw much better. I still see him holding the ball too long at times.

greg23

Liked Posts:
The problem is right now when it's time to throw (forced) at the end of a game; we aren't able to.

The NFL has become the NBA when the final 3 mins/last drive are where games are won/lost......while our defense sucks and I wouldn't have any confidence in them coming up with a stop; the fact is the offense is 0-4 in this situation the last month or so and it's due to the inability to throw.

We know he can run
We know he's a game changer
Allegedly we don't really care if we win or lose

The last half of the season should be used to better design the passing game which looks okay at times; but those are during the middle of the game when the run is a threat/weapon.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't mind the designed runs, or improv. His passing stats over the past 4 weeks are top 5 in the NFL as far as efficiency., that is what I am looking at. They're scoring at an absurd rate and almost at will. The warts show up in 2 minutes when protection, receivers and quarterback all have to be in sync, and they are not. Also, it is not like he ISN'T taking shots down field, some are no call PI, some are hidden yards PI, some are misses, and some are drops. This offense is not a finished product, at all.. and they're still averaging 30 ppg.

I do mind him taking massive hits. He took way too many against Detroit.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I definitely don't want him running this much forever... but it's good to have it on tape. It forces teams to plan their defense around it.

I know it's excessive... maybe borderline crazy, but I want them to draft a WR in the top 3 rounds for the next 3 years or until they put together an offensive skill group as good as the Eagles or the Dolphins. If he had those weapons to throw to with the separation they get.... he would easily be the most disgustingly dangerous QB in the entire league.

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty spot on for the most part. Like you said, an 80 yard drive with a 67 yard rush will only leave 13 yards for pass/rush on other plays.

With that being said, it is no concern to me whatsoever. A first down is a first down.

Outside of Kmet, Mooney, Claypool, mixed with spotty OL, the Bears are going to struggle in the passing game. The defenses don't give a fuck about WRs #3, 4, 5, 6. They focus on Clay and Moon. Ever since Clay got here, Kmet's gotten more opportunities, IMO.

With that being said, if we get a true WR #1 to go with Clay and Moon, that should open up the passing game (in addition to fixing the spotty OL, giving JF1 time to throw without constant pressure).

It'll be fine, it'll be fine. Just wait until August 2023.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's not a big deal if the yards come via the ground instead of the air....until he gets hurt running.

He's very entertaining. This is fun to watch. It was impressive towards the end of the game when he got sacked...it took the defense 3 tries to take him down. Obviously his leg strength is great.

But I will never call him "special" or "elite" as a QB until he shows he can throw much better. I still see him holding the ball too long at times.
Even Mike Martz calls him special.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
His running threat opens up everything else, including RBs chunking off 7-13 yards runs consistently. The passing game will come with more time and better protection. Fields hasn't had time to get on track with Pringle or Claypool. He looks good with Mooney and Kmet.

I thought the OL had a very bad game pass blocking after playing better last week.

Although thought there were several bad calls that cost the Bears this game. Bears would have easily scored a TD on the first drive but for that bad holding call on Jones.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I don't mind the designed runs, or improv. His passing stats over the past 4 weeks are top 5 in the NFL as far as efficiency., that is what I am looking at. They're scoring at an absurd rate and almost at will. The warts show up in 2 minutes when protection, receivers and quarterback all have to be in sync, and they are not. Also, it is not like he ISN'T taking shots down field, some are no call PI, some are hidden yards PI, some are misses, and some are drops. This offense is not a finished product, at all.. and they're still averaging 30 ppg.

I do mind him taking massive hits. He took way too many against Detroit.
We're going through a progression here. Things started off terribly, Fields started using his legs, we're working that into the game plan and it's had a positive overall effect on the entire offense. I think it's a very lazy take to just say that "he needs to pass for more yards." Ideally yes. We still have shotty protection at times and a less-than-great cast of pass catchers. On top of that, Fields is still learning to throw guys open, make his reads and pull the trigger when he needs to. It's all a work in progress. Fields showing how dangerous he is with his legs will only open up the passing game further.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't think a single person on here isn't enjoying what we've seen the last 4 weeks, even without the passing yards, but i do think he has to eventually show he can do it and do it consistently. There's many QB's throwing for plenty of yards that don't have great OL play. Scoring is scoring no matter how we do it but the hits will add up on his body. I'm confident that the passing yards will come even if it's not this year so not worried at all besides Fields getting hurt, as of now, but the kid is big and can take contact. Even with that those hits will still add up.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think a single person on here isn't enjoying what we've seen the last 4 weeks, even without the passing yards, but i do think he has to eventually show he can do it and do it consistently. There's many QB's throwing for plenty of yards that don't have great OL play. Scoring is scoring no matter how we do it but the hits will add up on his body. I'm confident that the passing yards will come even if it's not this year so not worried at all besides Fields getting hurt, as of now, but the kid is big and can take contact. Even with that those hits will still add up.
Yesterday was the first game in weeks where he actually took bad hits. He gets hurt more in the pocket because they cant pass pro long enough for the mediocre receiving talent to get open.

Maybe spend less time obsessing over me and @MikeDitkaPolishSausage and start watching the Bears games?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Player suffer terrible injuries by getting hit low when they are stationary (aside from ACLs, which seem pretty random to me).

Linemen getting rolled up on from behind or the side, a running back getting bent in a pile and his leg caught under him. QBs mostly when they get hit low.

Seems to me the pocket is more dangerous, and Fields also seems to absorb more hard hits in the pocket than out of it.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Player suffer terrible injuries by getting hit low when they are stationary (aside from ACLs, which seem pretty random to me).

Linemen getting rolled up on from behind or the side, a running back getting bent in a pile and his leg caught under him. QBs mostly when they get hit low.

Seems to me the pocket is more dangerous, and Fields also seems to absorb more hard hits in the pocket than out of it.
Yep. When he's on the run, Fields is in total control. Can slide early if he needs to, dive down in space or run out of bounds.

I thought he also took a mini step this week by throwing the ball away a couple times rather than pulling a Mitch Trubisky and running out of bounds for a 2 yard loss.