Let's address the elephant in the room: The lack of air yards

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we are going to see tremendous growth in 2023 with Justin Fields the passer. They will add some talent around him but most of all he will come into next season with an offseason under his belt of knowing this offense, being comfortable about his abilities at this level, and knowing how defenses are playing him. Once that next phase slows down for him, he could come unstoppable making defenses choose their poison.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Until Getsy shortens the passing plays to quick slants and 5-10 yard throws, Fields will keep looking like an RB1 when in fact he's running for his life. As I've stated before here, I'm not impressed with his 100+ yards of rushing every game. Sure it's awesome if you're looking at yardage and moving the chains, but that should also be followed up with decent to good passing yards.

Think about it, Montgomery and Herbert both on the field are not doing anything special (especially when it looks like Monty plays first half and Herbert plays second half). Not sure why Flus/Getsy keeps doing that, rather than implementing the FB more often on running plays.

If Fields gets injured taking all that punishment, then what? Getsy needs to see that Fields is making mental mistakes with the INT's rather than throwing it out of bounds. This is coming up more often than not and it needs to get fixed.

Bonferroni Correction

Liked Posts:
Fields is going to be elite, one of the best to ever play.

That said, I am worried about him going the route of RG3 or Cam Newton who were both in great trajectories too. Cam even won MVP, and then eventually hurt his throwing shoulder, the same one that fields slammed into a defender to give him a concussion on the first TD run.

I was totally fine with all the designed runs up the side and out of bounds in previous games. But seemed like yesterday was a lot of Cam/Lance type of bully into a crowd type runs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If he becomes a better passer I definitely will call him special. I will NOT call a QB special or elite until he demonstrates special or elite passing skills - period.

Many meatballs crowned Cutler prematurely as a lock for being a top 5 QB....it never happened.

No one gives a shit whether you think he is special or not.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields has been nothing short of phenomenal the past several weeks. He's an absolute game-changer who, while having ups and downs, will likely only get better. He's the true dynamic athlete Bears fans have so desperately pined for for so long.

That said, we are seeing a underwhelming output of actual passing yards. 123 yards last week. 167 yards yesterday. He hasn't broken 200 yards in 6 games (Oct. 9 @ Vikings - 208).

I do not believe this is reason for concern, for a few reasons:

1) The offense is scoring points and moving the ball. The way the Bears are moving the ball down the field, leaning heavily on Fields' legs while also mixing in his arm and their RB running game, is working. The offense looks fluid and fun to watch. They're getting first downs. They're scoring points.

2) You almost need to just combine Fields' rushing yards & passing yards to get the full picture of his impact. Rushing for 40 yards out of an 80-yard drive means 40 yards that you don't have to net out of the air. If they can't stop you on the ground, why wouldn't you run? And does it matter whether those 40 came on the ground or through the air, as long as you get them? In this way, the low passing yardage total is in **direct correlation** to Fields' high rushing yard totals. If he didn't rush for as many yards, at least many of those would be passing yards. So it's his total yardage that should be the outlook we pay most attention to. I'm not going to complain about 300+ yards per game combined passing and rushing.

3) Fields is not a finished product. He will continue to work and continue to get better. As he does, those passing yard totals will come up, and we'll laugh about the times we were worried about 150-yard passing games.

4) USE YOUR EYES - The biggest reason I'm not concerned about the lack of passing yard output is that you can tell by looking at Fields that he's not a running QB who can't throw, or who is *always* looking to take off. We've seen those dime throws. We've seen that once he starts scrambling, he keeps his eyes downfield. We've seen that if he sees an open receiver while scrambling, he'll toss it to them for a 15-20 yard gain rather than just run it for 8 yards. The ability and willingness to throw are still there.

The uniqueness of Justin Fields requires a unique viewpoint when watching him work. Embrace that differentness. Embrace that we're seeing Fields be Fields. We're seeing what he can do when he has the freedom to be dynamic in his own way. We'll see up-games and down-games, but ladies and gentlemen, he's only going to get better.

This is going to be fun to watch.
How is someone expecting to see 250+ passing yards from their QB if their QB is getting 150+ rushing yards in that same game. Either the yards come in the form of running or passing. It is going to be fun to watch. But people need to understand that. It’s not ideal to have him get more rushing yards than passing but at the end, you get whatever you can to try to win the game. Who cares how it comes about. Only thing is rushing many times as a QB has a higher chance of injury. But it is what it is. At then end, it’s football. You dial up the play that will work the best, running or passing.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Sorry think the issue is not that we can't throw. It is that we can't catch and hold onto the ball.

Minny - Fields threw the ball fine. IMS fumbled it.
Wash - Mooney and Pettis both dropped pass that should have been TDs
Dallas - Fields got the ball to Monty who fumbled it for a TD
Dolphins - Fields throw a ball that should have resulted in PI and then threw a perfect ball to ESB that went thru his hands
Lions - Does not appear anyone was open as Fields waited and waited.

Yes and the fact they are now 20th in points despite all of that means they are in fact efficient. They are scoring points despite the lack of big yards in the passing game. So they are efficient with respect to the passes they do make.
This dude gets it. Others… well…..

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To sum up - Fields is running because right now, its the only way to win for the Bears.

People were wondering what happened in the last series of the game - well, that was a passing down, it was KNOWN it was a passing down, and when the defense knows it is going to be a pass, the offensive line can't hold up for shit, which means the WRs don't even have the time to get out of their breaks (which is why it looks like they can't get separation), and the defense can just tee off on Fields.

Meanwhile, opposing QBs have all day to throw.

Upgrading the offensive line is priority 1 to make this offense go. Thing is, we also need to upgrade our defensive line just as badly, otherwise we're not winning games like that either.
Yep although I'd say that the upgrade to the defensive line and front seven in general is slightly more important and in my opinion will need more and better players. To me, I think that really the offensive line needs a good OT and a center while the defense needs more including two DTs, a DE, and two OLBs.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Another area that is not getting much attention is the bad performance of the Special Teams. This time, we missed an extra point and had a critical out of bounds kick-off. There were a couple of bad punts also.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
When Darnell Mooney starts catching passes upright and Claypool gets more acquainted with the offense, maybe we’ll see more passing yards.

Legit topic to discuss but I am not worried.

Bust

Liked Posts:
those pass yards sure doesn't help Derek Carr. Dude been "just a guy" his whole career

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Another area that is not getting much attention is the bad performance of the Special Teams. This time, we missed an extra point and had a critical out of bounds kick-off. There were a couple of bad punts also.
But on the other hand we had a really good KR from Herbert as well.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I definitely don't want him running this much forever... but it's good to have it on tape. It forces teams to plan their defense around it.

I know it's excessive... maybe borderline crazy, but I want them to draft a WR in the top 3 rounds for the next 3 years or until they put together an offensive skill group as good as the Eagles or the Dolphins. If he had those weapons to throw to with the separation they get.... he would easily be the most disgustingly dangerous QB in the entire league.

Crazy? HELL NO.

How many playoff games did the Bears win with Roquan and K. Mack?

How many Super Bowls did the Bears win with Brian Urlacher?

Get a competent defense with a few playmakers and move on. Offense should be the primary focus until the Bears win a SB.

It's not crazy, it's Digiorno.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
How is someone expecting to see 250+ passing yards from their QB if their QB is getting 150+ rushing yards in that same game. Either the yards come in the form of running or passing. It is going to be fun to watch. But people need to understand that. It’s not ideal to have him get more rushing yards than passing but at the end, you get whatever you can to try to win the game. Who cares how it comes about. Only thing is rushing many times as a QB has a higher chance of injury. But it is what it is. At then end, it’s football. You dial up the play that will work the best, running or passing.

Without good pass pro and a collapsing pocket..... JF has no choice but to run