Let's address the elephant in the room: The lack of air yards

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How ppl gon ignore that this OL and WRs just aren't capable of sustaining an NFL passing attack?

I mean fuckin everything they are doing on O right now is a product of that.

It's absurd they are getting the production they are. It's a testament to Fields and the coaching staff. It's fuckin miraculous.

But don't be fuckin fooled. This O is not actually good.

Bronze65

Liked Posts:
I don't care if every play is Fields running if they score 30+ points a game.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields has been nothing short of phenomenal the past several weeks. He's an absolute game-changer who, while having ups and downs, will likely only get better. He's the true dynamic athlete Bears fans have so desperately pined for for so long.

That said, we are seeing a underwhelming output of actual passing yards. 123 yards last week. 167 yards yesterday. He hasn't broken 200 yards in 6 games (Oct. 9 @ Vikings - 208).

I do not believe this is reason for concern, for a few reasons:

1) The offense is scoring points and moving the ball. The way the Bears are moving the ball down the field, leaning heavily on Fields' legs while also mixing in his arm and their RB running game, is working. The offense looks fluid and fun to watch. They're getting first downs. They're scoring points.

2) You almost need to just combine Fields' rushing yards & passing yards to get the full picture of his impact. Rushing for 40 yards out of an 80-yard drive means 40 yards that you don't have to net out of the air. If they can't stop you on the ground, why wouldn't you run? And does it matter whether those 40 came on the ground or through the air, as long as you get them? In this way, the low passing yardage total is in **direct correlation** to Fields' high rushing yard totals. If he didn't rush for as many yards, at least many of those would be passing yards. So it's his total yardage that should be the outlook we pay most attention to. I'm not going to complain about 300+ yards per game combined passing and rushing.

3) Fields is not a finished product. He will continue to work and continue to get better. As he does, those passing yard totals will come up, and we'll laugh about the times we were worried about 150-yard passing games.

4) USE YOUR EYES - The biggest reason I'm not concerned about the lack of passing yard output is that you can tell by looking at Fields that he's not a running QB who can't throw, or who is *always* looking to take off. We've seen those dime throws. We've seen that once he starts scrambling, he keeps his eyes downfield. We've seen that if he sees an open receiver while scrambling, he'll toss it to them for a 15-20 yard gain rather than just run it for 8 yards. The ability and willingness to throw are still there.

The uniqueness of Justin Fields requires a unique viewpoint when watching him work. Embrace that differentness. Embrace that we're seeing Fields be Fields. We're seeing what he can do when he has the freedom to be dynamic in his own way. We'll see up-games and down-games, but ladies and gentlemen, he's only going to get better.

This is going to be fun to watch.

Justin Fields has been both "phenomenal" and "underwhelming"....That alone is a tremendous feat.

:D

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Right....so Why won't you use the words JF needs good pass pro ?? ??
Why is this phrase taboo for you? C'mon BR, I know yer out there
your green light is currently on. ☺️

When have I claimed our o-line is good?

The problem here is you'll use bad pass-pro as a blanket excuse for every passing down.

No not every passing down. However, we can say the majority of the time.....right?

Even when JF threw that dime Td to Pettis, he got creamed. But thanks, for entering the phrase
pass-pro into your lexicon. Next we're gonna work on the phrase "collapsing pocket" ??

Exhibit A......."collapsing pocket"

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Damn I didn't know this.

Chicago Bears

After going unselected in the 2019 NFL Draft, Mustipher was signed by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent on May 2, 2019.He was waived during final roster cuts on August 31, 2019,and he was subsequently signed to the team's practice squad the next day.

Center is to important of a position to have a undrafted guy starting. :obama:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
First 3 games: 51.1% completions 297 pass yd 2 TD 4 INT 50.0 rating
Next 4: 58.2% completions 751 pass yd 3 TD 2 INT 86.8 rating
Last 3: 64.8% completions 441 pass yd 7 TD 1 INT 108.9 rating
Those first 3 games had me freaking out. He looked awful. Thank God he turned it around.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
How ppl gon ignore that this OL and WRs just aren't capable of sustaining an NFL passing attack?

I mean fuckin everything they are doing on O right now is a product of that.

It's absurd they are getting the production they are. It's a testament to Fields and the coaching staff. It's fuckin miraculous.

But don't be fuckin fooled. This O is not actually good.
Agreed except for the last part. The offense is good because of Fields. It could be a lot better with better receivers and protection.

I don't think it's to say that suddenly we start scoring 50 on a regular basis, rather you'd be transitioning some of those explosive plays into passing plays instead of run plays, which over the long haul will be better for the offense as a whole. The receivers need to be better but Justin is still learning to throw guys open and hitting on timing and everything. Yea we've got Claypool but it takes time to build a rapport there. We also just got Pringle back, and those two alongside Kmet and Mooney are our best receivers that Justin doesn't have that rapport with.

In other words, it just takes time and reps. I'm all about working the run game to open the passing game and they've done a really good job at that. Over these last 7 games I'm hoping to see Justin get more aggressive with throwing the ball, attempting to throw guys open and play with anticipation as much as possible. Obviously those guys on the field are out there to win but i'd like see the coaching staff push Justin as hard as they can into pulling the trigger knowing it's going to lead to some misfires and maybe an INT or two, but it's important for his progression to put that stuff on film so he can learn from it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well there is a difference between rg3 & cam vs Brady & Burrow. It's not surprising what posters call Fields a run first qb...
I consider him an evade jailbreak first QB.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Without good pass pro and a collapsing pocket..... JF has no choice but to run
And that’s fine. The line ain’t going to fix itself this year. So that’s the best way to win a game. It’s not the safest but it is what it is.

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
Justin Fields has been nothing short of phenomenal the past several weeks. He's an absolute game-changer who, while having ups and downs, will likely only get better. He's the true dynamic athlete Bears fans have so desperately pined for for so long.

That said, we are seeing a underwhelming output of actual passing yards. 123 yards last week. 167 yards yesterday. He hasn't broken 200 yards in 6 games (Oct. 9 @ Vikings - 208).

I do not believe this is reason for concern, for a few reasons:

1) The offense is scoring points and moving the ball. The way the Bears are moving the ball down the field, leaning heavily on Fields' legs while also mixing in his arm and their RB running game, is working. The offense looks fluid and fun to watch. They're getting first downs. They're scoring points.

2) You almost need to just combine Fields' rushing yards & passing yards to get the full picture of his impact. Rushing for 40 yards out of an 80-yard drive means 40 yards that you don't have to net out of the air. If they can't stop you on the ground, why wouldn't you run? And does it matter whether those 40 came on the ground or through the air, as long as you get them? In this way, the low passing yardage total is in **direct correlation** to Fields' high rushing yard totals. If he didn't rush for as many yards, at least many of those would be passing yards. So it's his total yardage that should be the outlook we pay most attention to. I'm not going to complain about 300+ yards per game combined passing and rushing.

3) Fields is not a finished product. He will continue to work and continue to get better. As he does, those passing yard totals will come up, and we'll laugh about the times we were worried about 150-yard passing games.

4) USE YOUR EYES - The biggest reason I'm not concerned about the lack of passing yard output is that you can tell by looking at Fields that he's not a running QB who can't throw, or who is *always* looking to take off. We've seen those dime throws. We've seen that once he starts scrambling, he keeps his eyes downfield. We've seen that if he sees an open receiver while scrambling, he'll toss it to them for a 15-20 yard gain rather than just run it for 8 yards. The ability and willingness to throw are still there.

The uniqueness of Justin Fields requires a unique viewpoint when watching him work. Embrace that differentness. Embrace that we're seeing Fields be Fields. We're seeing what he can do when he has the freedom to be dynamic in his own way. We'll see up-games and down-games, but ladies and gentlemen, he's only going to get better.

This is going to be fun to watch.
I haven't read this thread and I sure it's been talked about plenty but the obvious concern about Fields running so much is injury. It's sort of impossible to imagine him doing this and not getting hurt at some point.

Yes, he's built differently than pretty much any QB I've ever seen and he does seem to protect himself as best he can with slides when there's no more there but this still has to be the primary concern with a guy who runs as often as he does, with an offense who designs as many run plays as this offense does for him.

We want him to keep improving and to have a long career and that latter part would seem kind of impossible the way this is going right now, so that's the worry. And that's why he's gotta get better getting rid of the ball more quickly in the pocket. Can he get markedly better at this? I hope so. We all do.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Too bad the bears aren't efficient either

32nd in yards
32nd in ypg
32nd in attempts
32nd in completions
29th in comp %
20th in rating
1st in sacks

Still a LOT of work to be done in the passing game
Sure, these are horrible stats...........but you know what fix the OL and every one of those stats goes up. Gotta fix that problem first.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Look at how their OL cant protect in obvious passing downs vs a 4 man rush on a bottom 2 pass rushing team

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
Most of those stats deal with volume, not efficiency.

YPA would be efficiency along with rating. They are middle of the pack there.

It also leaves out that they are easily the best rushing offense in the league right now.
Do not try to logic with racists like @greg23 @Spartan ect... it doesn't work