Let's compare apples to oranges....

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:
... since we are doing that, why don't we compare the early career of Aaron Rodgers to Justin Fields. I'm pretty sure that Rodgers sat the first three seasons before starting.

With that in mind, I'm thinking we shouldn't panic too much about 'wasting' rookie Fields' contract with the draft picks that have been made this year. So far I'm buying the long term approach to the rebuild, and am excited to see where we will do in the years to come.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Plus just look at some of the top receivers:
Kupp; 3rd rounder
Adams: 2nd rounder
Samuel: 2nd rounder
Hill: 5th rounder
Diggs: 5th rounder
Lockett: 3rd round
Johnson: 3rd round.

7 of the top 10 receivers were all chosen after the first round.
5 out of 10 taken after the second round.

This years draft was one of the deepest in history.

It is becoming easier and easier to find stud receivers in the draft. The fact that people are whining because we waited until the third is ignorant of how low value receivers are these days because of the volume of how many good ones there are. Not to mention that because of covid, our third round pick could have gone in the second round in a normal draft year.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
oranges are a winter fruit that have a thick inedible skin with fruit that has been engineered to be seedless with a tart fruit that is sectioned few varieties available.
apples are a fall fruit that have a thin edible skin with an inedible seeded core and come in endless varieties, many make wonderful pie filling.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kupp; 3rd rounder

It is becoming easier and easier to find stud receivers in the draft. The fact that people are whining because we waited until the third is ignorant of how low value receivers are these days because of the volume of how many good ones there are. Not to mention that because of covid, our third round pick could have gone in the second round in a normal draft year.
K

Liked Posts:
oranges are a winter fruit that have a thick inedible skin with fruit that has been engineered to be seedless with a tart fruit that is sectioned few varieties available.
apples are a fall fruit that have a thin edible skin with an inedible seeded core and come in endless varieties, many make wonderful pie filling.
facts

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think it's about as simple as people letting their desire for a good QB cloud their judgment of the situation. I like Fields as much as the next guy but there's certainly a chance that he's not our QB of the future. Furthermore, Poles didn't pick him. What exactly has he done so far to warrant spending just about every last asset we have in a rebuilding year where we've been left hamstrung by the previous GM on "supporting him?"

It's a rebuilding year, a year to evaluate everyone on the roster, including Fields. You want to see what you have before you really know how best to spend your next premium assets, which come in the form of a mountain of cap space and a first round pick next off season. What you do with those assets changes drastically based upon what you think you actually have in Fields.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oranges are from the Rutaceae while apples are from the Rosaceae family. Apples are used in popular culture as a symbol of power, prestige and/or trouble while oranges are used to make annoying kid shows

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think it's about as simple as people letting their desire for a good QB cloud their judgment of the situation. I like Fields as much as the next guy but there's certainly a chance that he's not our QB of the future. Furthermore, Poles didn't pick him. What exactly has he done so far to warrant spending just about every last asset we have in a rebuilding year where we've been left hamstrung by the previous GM on "supporting him?"

It's a rebuilding year, a year to evaluate everyone on the roster, including Fields. You want to see what you have before you really know how best to spend your next premium assets, which come in the form of a mountain of cap space and a first round pick next off season. What you do with those assets changes drastically based upon what you think you actually have in Fields.

Good points. I think we gotta give Fields the proper development and the "tools" offensively to be successful ( the Nagy tenure was a "write-off").
Once the development and the "tools" are in place, then ya look at what ya have at Qb. IMO......We should take that approach with any Qb, as we look to the future.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kupp; 3rd rounder

Its becoming easier and easier to find stud receivers!

Good point. Maybe the Bears will actually draft one next year instead of a gadget player and 10 OL who wont start for them.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
So far I'm sick of hearing we need a 6 year rebuild every 4 years.
If Poles is actually selling that he should be fired today, let's get a head start on the next long rebuild. Maybe it will actually get finished next time instead of being used as an excuse for the GM/HC doing nothing.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
... since we are doing that, why don't we compare the early career of Aaron Rodgers to Justin Fields. I'm pretty sure that Rodgers sat the first three seasons before starting.

With that in mind, I'm thinking we shouldn't panic too much about 'wasting' rookie Fields' contract with the draft picks that have been made this year. So far I'm buying the long term approach to the rebuild, and am excited to see where we will do in the years to come.
Then keep fields on the bench and let him learn while our future hall of famer currently on the roster wins the division every year. Especially since QB contracts haven’t gotten insanely ridiculous yet.

Oh… wait

We should also trade all of our draft picks for nothing but 6th rounders to get the next Tom Brady.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Building around Fields doesn’t require a ‘long-term’ approach, but it does require a transition year with a new coach/scheme.

The fear I have with developing Fields is surrounding him with an inexperienced, and underwhelming offensive line. You don’t want him seeing ghosts on the football field.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Building around Fields doesn’t require a ‘long-term’ approach, but it does require a transition year with a new coach/scheme.

The fear I have with developing Fields is surrounding him with an inexperienced, and underwhelming offensive line. You don’t want him seeing ghosts on the football field.
Exactly. If you can’t get him a top tier #1 receiver right away, fine. But at the present, his tackles have like a combined 2 starts at their respective positions.

I see a lot of false starts and holding calls backing up the offense on a regular basis, forcing the bears into obvious passing downs, and fields taking too many hits; whether it be a sack or just after he gets rid of the ball. When you have 2nd or 3rd and 15+, you’re not throwing quick slants or screens.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Oranges are from the Rutaceae while apples are from the Rosaceae family. Apples are used in popular culture as a symbol of power, prestige and/or trouble while oranges are used to make annoying kid shows
You say Rutaceae I say Rosaceae

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
knowledge is power

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Exactly. If you can’t get him a top tier #1 receiver right away, fine. But at the present, his tackles have like a combined 2 starts at their respective positions.

I see a lot of false starts and holding calls backing up the offense on a regular basis, forcing the bears into obvious passing downs, and fields taking too many hits; whether it be a sack or just after he gets rid of the ball. When you have 2nd or 3rd and 15+, you’re not throwing quick slants or screens.

I think the type of structure Poles and Eberflus want to build will limit those types of penalties. They seem like they will hold their players accountable for those mistakes. Nagy and Pace were a joke when it came to that, which is why we saw stupid penalties so frequently.

I also think that Getsy will try to put the entire offense in a position to succeed. Again, Nagy failed miserably at that. We might not have the best online on paper, but they could be better than last year based off of scheme, gameplay, and structure alone. Plus Jenkins and Borom will have a full offseason to prepare. And if Fields has improved his throwing motion, that will only help the O line.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
So far I'm sick of hearing we need a 6 year rebuild every 4 years.
If Poles is actually selling that he should be fired today, let's get a head start on the next long rebuild. Maybe it will actually get finished next time instead of being used as an excuse for the GM/HC doing nothing.

We are Bears fans. This is the way.

mecha

Liked Posts:
as putrid as the 2021 Bears offensive line has been made out to be, it's still leagues better than what Angelo assembled 10~ years prior. you want to talk about seeing ghosts? that's literally what happened to Cutler. Cutler was already an established player though, I think Fields needs the live fire exercises regardless of what line they field. they need to find a way if he tries to run with the ball to control it better, those fumbles were pretty bad. and the total lack of discipline on the Nagy teams fucked them over badly also. it's my belief the new coaches will shore that up.

we still have a few months yet until that comes to light. chill out, everyone.

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
I completely agree that Nagy was a huge part of the problem with the offense last year, but I still think it's pretty stupid to "evaluate" your potential franchise quarterback by not focusing on the offense. Sure the Oline may be better with better coaching a more practice, sure the WRs and TEs may look better with better coaching and better gameplan, but I still think more draft capital should have been spent on offense.

I'm happy to be wrong, but I've reached the point where I no longer blindly trust that "these coaches are professionals, so they know better than I do."