Lineman Alex Bars on His Own to Secure Roster Spot

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Players on the edge of a roster always have to be wary of new job competition.

In Alex Bars' case, there's pleny of this anyway. He also approaches this training camp without a major ally.

Just like former Notre Dame teammate Sam Mustipher, Bars is going into a season without offensive line coach Harry Hiestand around. Hiestand was fired by the Bears after last season ended, and he'd been Bars' line coach at Notre Dame, as well. In fact, Hiestand had scouted Bars in high school in Tennessee, so their relationship went back a long way.

Now Bars has to stand on his own, and he appears more than capable after his knee injuries healed.

Bars had both ACL and MCL tears and missed the final half of his last year with the Fighting Irish, then tried to make the Bears' roster after nine months of recovery time.

Now he's had another year and should be full strength. In Bars they have a 6-foot-5, 314-pound player who can move between tackle or guard with good athleticism. They used him last year at both positions in practices.

Bars is a taller player with a nice reach who might be built more like a tackle than a guard, but can play both.

The Bears signed Bars to a contract for two years and $1.08 million last season after he attracted the interest of the New England Patriots while on the practice squad.

Initially, the Bears had cut Bars and then brought him back to the practice squad. He spent Games 1-5 of the regular season there, then the Patriots made their offer to get him on their regular roster but he stayed in Chicago

"I felt like the opportunity here in this franchise was greater," Bars told ChicagoBears.com.

So Bars did get in during the final five games after being a game-day inactive from Games 6-11, it was very minimal action.

In essence, this will be his first season except for a few snaps.

But he's healthy now and hoping to show off ability the Bears haven't seen yet to date in an effort to play either tackle or guard.

He'll need a healthy knee because the Bears have loaded up the guard competition. Besides the battle at right guard for a starter between Germain Ifedi and Rashaad Coward, both seventh-round draft picks Lachavious Simmons and Arlington Hambright project as guard/tackles. And veteran Corey Levin signed with the Bears at the end of November and plays guard.

Alex Bars at a Glance

Notre Dame T/G

Height: 6-foot-5

Weight: 314

Key Numbers: Bars had only 12 snaps on offense last season.

Chances of Making Roster: 2.5 out of 5 with 5 being the most.

2020 Projection: Reserve guard/tackle

Twitter: BearDigest@BearsOnMaven

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I think Bars not only makes the roster, but at some point during the season takes over at guard

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Bars not only makes the roster, but at some point during the season takes over at guard

Sure would be awesome if he actually turned out to be a quality starter... I look forward to hearing about his developments through training camp and preseason... (if it happens)

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really like that we signed Bars. I think he has real potential to be a big NFL G or RT. I've always been a fan of developing an OL as opposed to paying for one other than to keep continuity.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I give a crap who starts at any of the positions, I just want an O-line that can actually compete. They were dominated by nearly every team they face last year and that was the biggest reason the offense sucked, yes even behind Trubisky's poor play...

If the O-line is average this year it will be a dramatic improvement.....

Tired of these fluff pieces, I just want the season to start already!!

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
RG was probably our weakest position last year, and if Bars can come in and secure the starting spot, we are better for it. Won't matter who starts at QB if we can't get a cohesive OL.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Check out these pre-draft evaluations of Bars.

A sample:

Alex Bars, health willing, projects well as a potential starting offensive guard at the NFL level. Bars' physicality and power at the POA shine bright in gap/power concepts and he was the needed tenacity to press through contact and uproot even the heaviest of anchors. Bars needs to focus on sustaining the width of his framed blocks to prevent spinning off contact, but he's got requisite athleticism and a compact punch to help him play with good power at first contact.
ROUND GRADE - Third Round

The Draft Network

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's an undrafted 2nd year guy that suffered an ACL and MCL tear in his last year of college.

Looking at old draft grades is comical at this point.

greg23

Liked Posts:
He's an undrafted 2nd year guy that suffered an ACL and MCL tear in his last year of college.

To me it shows that if/when healthy he has much more upside than coward (or any of the other oline we drafted)....wouldnt get rid if him just yet...and wouldnt be surprised if he becomes starter at RG sometime this season

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Thinking that a young athlete with talent and determination can’t overcome his injuries in this age of reconstructive surgery is comical.

I wonder why the Patriots tried to snag him last year? Were they trying to be funny?